Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-16-2011, 01:55 PM

19,784 posts, read 15,114,106 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ergohead View Post
You LET yourself be drafted.

Justify your veterancy to yourself!

To me you are just another person lacking moral and ethical courage.

I went because it never occured to me not to. Just like a lot of others.

As far as moral and ethical courage goes, you are hardly the judge of that, junior.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-16-2011, 02:00 PM

32,516 posts, read 37,183,567 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by desertdetroiter View Post
Don't know. Don't care either.
Too bad.

I was hoping to learn something.

Old 03-16-2011, 02:03 PM

11,944 posts, read 14,784,939 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chielgirl View Post
Ah, you think it's okay for US military to shoot students, some walking to class, on a college campus?
Says a lot about you.
Indeed it does. Some really could give a rats behind about the constitution. They self identify as 'real americans'. Isn't that odd?

Old 03-16-2011, 02:06 PM

37,468 posts, read 61,406,816 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ergohead View Post
You LET yourself be drafted.

Justify your veterancy to yourself!

To me you are just another person lacking moral and ethical courage.
Wow.

Old 03-16-2011, 02:18 PM

24,620 posts, read 28,286,152 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by harborlady View Post
Indeed it does. Some really could give a rats behind about the constitution. They self identify as 'real americans'. Isn't that odd?
Strange thing is, one of the most radical guys on campus is now a teabagger. Cracks me right up.

What people don't understand is that the illegal bombing of Cambodia is what started that round of protests.
BTW, there was a Kent Tribunal this year and it's pretty clear that it was a government stooge who fired the first shot.

Old 03-16-2011, 02:22 PM

32,516 posts, read 37,183,567 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chielgirl View Post
What people don't understand is that the illegal bombing of Cambodia is what started that round of protests.
BTW, there was a Kent Tribunal this year and it's pretty clear that it was a government stooge who fired the first shot.
Correct.

I missed coverage of the Tribunal. Did it uncover why the guardsmen had live ammo? And who gave it to them?

Old 03-16-2011, 02:22 PM

31,767 posts, read 28,822,592 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by harborlady View Post
Its not odd. It is expected of those who must continuously reassure themselves, as they pat self in the back.

Old 03-16-2011, 02:24 PM

24,620 posts, read 28,286,152 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DewDropInn View Post
Correct.

I missed coverage of the Tribunal. Did it uncover why the guardsmen had live ammo? And who gave it to them?
I'll see if I can find a link.
I was traveling for most of it, but had a link somewhere.

Here it is: http://www.truthtribunal.org/

Funny, no one talked about Jackson State and the two students killed there.
http://www.may41970.com/Jackson%20St...e_may_1970.htm

Old 03-16-2011, 02:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by liebknecht View Post
unbelievable
Yup. A holdover attitude installed in law enforcement to this very day. Peace protesters are often abused by law enforcement officials, particularly when directed by authoritarian elected officials trying to save their own skin. NYC cops aren't likely to forgive Guiliani for his unlawful orders any time soon. I support their rightful mission to serve and protect and I'm just glad the people and the cops serving them showed solidarity on that issue.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ool8-_I8hoY

Police brutality - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
New Statesman - Inside the Whitehall kettle
PublicEye.org - The Website of Political Research Associates (http://www.publiceye.org/magazine/v22n4/freespeech.html - broken link)

Quote:
Three of the cops had jumped out of the white nondescript van and attacked me. They were all wearing ski masks and dressed as anarchist black bloc protesters. I threw up my hands and offered no resistance. They punched me and I fell to the ground and attempted to protect myself. They kept punching me, kicking me, and then they dragged me into the back of the van. They took me to a small windowless room in the police station where they proceeded to interrogate me about my political affiliations, schooling, and friends. They never took off their ski masks.

–Miles Swanson, Legal Observer at the Free Trade Agreement of the Americas meeting in Miami, November 2003
Surely these incidents deserve light and air in main stream media.

Old 03-16-2011, 03:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by forest beekeeper View Post
Investing money now on legal fees, to recoup what? Was the $100 fine too high?

I was a dumb kid. I had been warned to be careful as the cops would bust us if they could anytime we were on the beach.
I don't think that cost should be born on the backs of individuals. If such an organization of JAG officers existed to represent you (and others), I'd gladly donate to the cause. Breaking the will of troops by disgracing their uniform via political abuse has been afoot for decades, and it's not the liberal boogey men doing it. So long as people are misdirected in their ire they (along with the rest of this nation) will continue to be exploited unmercifully. Please consider carefully the writing/ perspective of Andrew Bacevich.

I think you'd be well served to have this discussion with others of the era. Some of them are in Veterans for peace. They aren't anti-military. They're pro sound mission statements and anti-corrupt practices dictating the terms of our foreign policy (since post WW2? Hard to pin it down.). They're non denominational and have no specific party affiliation. Their numbers are growing and it's swept under the rug by media. Former NYTimes columnist joining them is being shunned by journalists beholden to something other than truthful.
News Black-Out in DC: Pay No Attention to Those Veterans Chained to the White House Fence | This Can't Be Happening

Meanwhile Tea whining about lack of coverage has gotten all possible coverage & multi million bankrolling for utter gibberish. They continue to claim themselves victims of persecution they instigate. See something wrong with this picture?

Next up expect a kindly dictator to arrive to appease their ignorance. Peace at any price is too high a price to pay. Know this lesson of history is fomenting again. Once they've cried wolf enough about Christians being persecuted in America, the real persecutions will commence unabated. Atheists aren't doing it, however, false Christians ARE. Separating a man from the pride he puts in his work, putting genuine leadership in impossible ethical dilema's to run them out of office... this is calculated. The old guard altruists have been regularly replaced with corporate minded appeasers.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies