Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-25-2011, 12:58 PM

41,813 posts, read 51,068,169 times

Advertisements

You ever try bringing a load of 2X4's home on the bus?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-25-2011, 12:58 PM

38,859 posts, read 25,550,307 times
Default Why are Right Wingers afraid of Public Transportation?

They oppose it because their corporate masters tell them that public = bad, privatization = good.

Old 03-25-2011, 01:00 PM

10,875 posts, read 13,815,163 times
Because they are scared of paved roads and more than one stoplight in a town, things like that are far too progressive.

Old 03-25-2011, 01:01 PM

45,231 posts, read 26,450,499 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Gringo View Post
They oppose it because their corporate masters tell them that public = bad, privatization = good.
No economics 101 teaches us that.

And "corporate masters" are a creation of the corrupt state.

Old 03-25-2011, 01:02 PM

39,874 posts, read 26,521,399 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mlassoff View Post
Judging by the number of posts on here from the right wing disparaging public transportation, I must wonder (applying the same logic that the right wing frequently applies to Sarah Palin and the religious right): Why is the right wing afraid of public transportation?
I'm not a "right winger", but I am fiscally responsible.

My fear is that public transportation will not be able to operate revenue-neutral based on the prices users are willing to pay. Therefore taxes will have to be increased on everyone, to support the portion of the population that chooses to use public transportation.

If you can point to a significant number of large public transportation projects that turn a profit, I can be persuaded to change my mind.

Last edited by Toyman at Jewel Lake; 03-25-2011 at 01:38 PM..

Old 03-25-2011, 01:10 PM

2,126 posts, read 2,382,274 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toyman at Jewel Lake View Post
I'm not a "right winger", but I am fiscally responsible.

My fear is that public transportation will not be able to operate revenue-neutral based on the prices users are willing to pay. Therefore that taxes will have to be increased on everyone, to support the portion of the population that chooses to use public transportation.

If you can point to a significant number of large public transportation projects that turn a profit, I can be persuaded to change my mind.
Does a public transportation project have to turn a profit to catch your eye? Is there nothing in the annals about car use and environment that resonates with you? Are all the cities on Earth that have created pedestrian only zones and are striving to limit car use totally silly and frivolous in your eyes?

Do I actually need to burrow around for statistics on this? I thought this was a rather well known public debate - the issue of excessive dependence on automobiles and increased pollution of our atmosphere. Public transport discussions seem, if anything, totally timely and useful at this stage of the game. I'm not exactly sure why anyone would dispute that.

Old 03-25-2011, 01:13 PM

3,875 posts, read 3,871,765 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mlassoff View Post
Judging by the number of posts on here from the right wing disparaging public transportation, I must wonder (applying the same logic that the right wing frequently applies to Sarah Palin and the religious right): Why is the right wing afraid of public transportation?
Your post is inaccurate, many Conservatives (myself included) support SENSIBLE Public Transportation.

That said often costly, short sighted projects that will become obsolete before they are finished at costs of billions are supported by politicians ,special interests and others that stand to milk the system by over charges,delays and setbacks are generally opposed by all.

As soon as you brought in Sarah Palin your post was a TOTAL FAIL. Palin is 1 private citizen who has at this time NO power to dictate public transportation.

Old 03-25-2011, 01:18 PM

8,949 posts, read 12,140,576 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by antarez View Post
As soon as you brought in Sarah Palin your post was a TOTAL FAIL. Palin is 1 private citizen who has at this time NO power to dictate public transportation.
I think you missed my reference... Just as any criticisim of Palin is met with howls of "Why is the left wing afraid of her..." I am applying the same standard to the right's critique of public transportation...

Old 03-25-2011, 01:19 PM

41,813 posts, read 51,068,169 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NomadScribe View Post
- the issue of excessive dependence on automobiles and increased pollution of our atmosphere. Public transport discussions seem, if anything, totally timely and useful at this stage of the game. I'm not exactly sure why anyone would dispute that.
Continuing with the sensible argument, in my area we have a bunch of buses running with usually a few people onboard. Certainly not environmentally friendly.

Old 03-25-2011, 01:21 PM

8,949 posts, read 12,140,576 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VTHokieFan View Post
I take the DC metro every day.

Why are left-wingers so pro-choice about murdering their unborn children, but anti-choice about things like what food you eat, how you get to work, and what light bulb you can buy?
Just to be clear, I have never murdered un-born children (my own or others).

I support you having total food choice... You can salt your food till you die. What you can't do is salt mine by force feeding it in the commercial food production process.

You may get to work anyway you want and can afford. I'll take the train.

Perhaps we should be allowed to purchase lightbulbs that set your house ablaze?

Sorry, but when you attribute ridiculous positions to liberals its hard for us to debate you with any seriousness.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies