Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Good Decision or Bad???
Good decision by the judge 56 93.33%
Bad decision by the judge 3 5.00%
Undecided 1 1.67%
Voters: 60. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-26-2011, 02:14 PM

7,835 posts, read 8,451,098 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by 18Montclair View Post

He should have stood by his wife. That's what "In sickness and in health" means.

He was given a trial to endure and he failed miserably.
Hear, hear! He could stand to take a lesson from this young man:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qdyWSASJbvM
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-26-2011, 02:20 PM

25,947 posts, read 24,780,801 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greatday View Post
And that is where the new invention called the airplane comes into play - a couple of hours - boom - they are there.

Frankly, if I was the Judge, I'd order the ex-husband to pay for the trips and/or to re-locate to the area where Mom lives.
I just checked, the flight from LA to Charleston takes 6 or more hours, so they can't go there and return on the same day. Probably the kids could not travel alone, so someone would have to accompany them. I don't know what the financial situation of the father is.

But I assume his lack of cooperation is the problem, not money.

Of course it would be good if they could meet regularly Maybe the mother and her family will consider relocation once the court's decision is confirmed.

Old 03-26-2011, 02:22 PM

20,702 posts, read 12,560,769 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hothulamaui View Post
the children should of visited their mother at least once a month since the time of their birth. the father denying both the children and the mom this time is just about criminal.
any discomfort this father imagines his children enduring is laid at his feet alone. what a creep
What a creep and such a heart breaking story. The jerk doesn't know or care that he is doing more damage to his kids than protecting them. I don't know why she hasn't had visitations rights in the first place as she is the mother.

Old 03-26-2011, 02:32 PM

8,806 posts, read 6,122,780 times
Quote:
Los Angeles (CNN) -- A California judge ruled Friday that a woman who suffered severe brain damage during the birth of her triplets must be granted visitation rights to see them.

Los Angeles Superior Court Judge Frederick C. Shaller rejected the contention of Abbie Dorn's former husband that it is not in his children's best interest to see their "unfit" mother now.

Severely disabled mother wins visitation rights - CNN.com
I voted Undecided. I'm not sure how healthy it is for the children to see their mother like that. And what about the mother? If she can understand enough to answer yes or no to a question (and that is debatable), she can probably grasp everything her children are saying but can't respond appropriately. That probably kills her inside. What is the Skype call going to do to help either party? For the children, it's probably more about touching her and physically being with her. The mother probably just wants to watch her children grow up, but Skype may just frustrate her since she cannot respond adequately to the things her children say and do. I know all this sounds pretty random, just giving my thoughts on the situation and why we need more information. I would not say she is "unfit" from the evidence given in the article. But definitely, more info is needed before I can say I agree or disagree with the judge's decision. Yes, it's ironic that her injury occurred during birth, but that does not entitle her to visitation privileges if she cannot be a proper parent.

Old 03-26-2011, 02:34 PM

18,410 posts, read 19,063,181 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Donna-501 View Post
What a creep and such a heart breaking story. The jerk doesn't know or care that he is doing more damage to his kids than protecting them. I don't know why she hasn't had visitations rights in the first place as she is the mother.
thank you for putting it so much better than I did. he is doing far more damage to his kids than any good

Old 03-26-2011, 02:36 PM

11,944 posts, read 14,802,043 times
Quote:
Los Angeles (CNN) -- A California judge ruled Friday that a woman who suffered severe brain damage during the birth of her triplets must be granted visitation rights to see them.

Los Angeles Superior Court Judge Frederick C. Shaller rejected the contention of Abbie Dorn's former husband that it is not in his children's best interest to see their "unfit" mother now.

Severely disabled mother wins visitation rights - CNN.com
I voted good reason because.... I do not see this former spouse realizing that his former wife has any capacity at all. I do understand his instinct to protect his children from potential neglect or incompetence but I fail to see the nature of her interactions with them as life threatening. I believe they understand she's severely disabled and will not be 'imprinting' her disability. I believe that's his real fear, and his own psychological inability to recognize her as a viable human being any longer. Theory- this likely has more to do with his own guilt abandoning his wife when the chips were down. He felt the need to concentrate his attention on the wellbeing of the children, understood, but is it healthy to keep them ignorant of reality origin? Not at all.

I think this is a far cry from other disabilities that become a means to inflict disability upon children by their parents. Addicts actively promote patterns of diseased behavior onto progeny, and in doing so, establish a requirement of strictly supervised visitation. She may not be competent to be making decisions for them, her time spent with them is not unsupervised, and there is zero chance that brain damage is contagious. Compassion is the stuff that makes any civilization worthy of defense. I think these children will have enriched lives as a result even if Dad cannot see that in this moment.

Old 03-26-2011, 02:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nimchimpsky View Post
I can't believe anyone debated NOT letting her have visitation rights. Really? Just because she's disabled? Unless she was a direct threat to her children, i.e. if her brain damage caused her to be abusive, then I see no reason why it would even be an issue worth considering. I hope the final verdict also grants her visitation rights. Disabled parents have just as much a right to be in their children's lives and love them as able-bodied parents.
Yes, but you don't know how this affects the children mentally. I have worked with children who have been removed from broken homes, and you would not believe how intuitive children are. They pick up on EVERYTHING. The fact of the matter is that it may not be psychologically healthy for the children to visit with her. The interactions they have with her are likely not fulfilling and they may develop an unhealthy attachment to her. The early years are so important, psychologically speaking, and this could have a big impact on them. Again, I don't know the whole situation, but there is definitely another side that has apparently been looked over by the whole lot of you...the emotional health of the children. This is not about the mother, it is about the children. And that is why the father is not "vile" or whatever other adjectives that have been used to describe him in this thread.

Old 03-26-2011, 02:41 PM

10,449 posts, read 12,476,890 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by andrea3821 View Post
I voted Undecided. I'm not sure how healthy it is for the children to see their mother like that. And what about the mother? If she can understand enough to answer yes or no to a question (and that is debatable), she can probably grasp everything her children are saying but can't respond appropriately. That probably kills her inside. What is the Skype call going to do to help either party? For the children, it's probably more about touching her and physically being with her. The mother probably just wants to watch her children grow up, but Skype may just frustrate her since she cannot respond adequately to the things her children say and do. I know all this sounds pretty random, just giving my thoughts on the situation and why we need more information. I would not say she is "unfit" from the evidence given in the article. But definitely, more info is needed before I can say I agree or disagree with the judge's decision. Yes, it's ironic that her injury occurred during birth, but that does not entitle her to visitation privileges if she cannot be a proper parent.
In my experience, children handle disabilities way better than adults. It was always the adults that were so awkward and didn't know how to respond to my disability. Children know how to just love you anyway. This is priceless both for the children and the mother. It teaches unconditional love.

Touch and affection is also a crucial part of a parent-child relationship. I think the mother deserves to be able to see her children in person.

Old 03-26-2011, 02:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donna-501 View Post
Bold: You do NOT know this. Only people intimately involved in the situation could have any objective opinion on this. All you can do is imagine. I imagine the opposite to be true.

Italic: You are not familiar with family law at all then, are you? Being "the mother" has little bearing on anything in family law, if you are not able to be a proper parent, whether or not the child came out of you means nothing.

Old 03-26-2011, 02:42 PM

18,410 posts, read 19,063,181 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by andrea3821 View Post
if the babies had grown up in the same house since infancy or interacted with her regularly they would not find anything unusual at all about their mom.

just being the kids mother in this case entitles her to be a parent. her participation in raising her children is not the issue at all. the issue is rights of both mother and child to have their natural rights to a relationship.

denying the right to either child or parent based on disability is wrong.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies