Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-03-2011, 07:59 AM

22,229 posts, read 17,886,121 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by nicet4 View Post
Of course they will get enough signatures to force a referendum on nearly all, if not all, GOP state senators. Every member of government unions will sign which is a given.

But winning the recall is a whole different matter.
Yeah, they may need to have 80% of the public behind them, not just a measly 70%.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-03-2011, 08:03 AM

592 posts, read 415,455 times
Isn't this proof that you can't negotiate with a union? They get what they want any way they can.

Old 04-03-2011, 08:09 AM

1,123 posts, read 777,791 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil306 View Post
Walker's move was to bust unions. Not save money.
Uh yeah suuuure. Suddenly in this country, trying to spend no more than what you have is a "bad" thing.

And I do hope, BTW, that he destroys the public employee unions.

Quote:
He sold you and others a bill of goods.
We expect our government to spend within its means, and keep our taxes low. And not have to listen to Moveon.org talking points like those found here:

https://secure.actblue.com/contribut...all?refcode=e4

Quote:
And again, you nor anyone else who support Walker will even mention the police and fire unions. If he REALLY wanted to balance the budget, he would have gone after them; they make the most money.
They are next, cannot attack every thief at the same time.

Quote:
The govenor in Ohio did, why not Walker?
Give it time...

Old 04-03-2011, 08:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NorthGAbound12 View Post
First off all, I'm sorry you feel cops aren't worthwhile to spend money on. I hope you never get into an emergency. Also, California's cost of living is pretty high so making 100,000 dollars there isn't all that extravagant. I'm sorry but if there's one profession where I don't mind splurging on, it's law enforcement.
I love how the far left/moveon.org crowd keep moving the goalposts...

First its: "they are earning middle class salaries", so after getting proved wrong their "argument" changes to: "so what if they do make alot of money, other people do also"...

This is how I know how much money and effort the public employee unions are throwing into this last gasp fight to continue their gravy train, they have PR flacks all over web forums using the same nonsensical talking points to give the appearance of a mass, grassroots movement of people allegedly supporting public unions - which is patently false.

If you feel law enforcement deserves massive salaries that you were claiming earlier they weren't getting - THEN YOU ARE WELCOME to volunteer and pay higher taxes to fund them.

Perhaps you can set up a volunteer system, where the cops/firemen are paid market salaries - and far left/liberals like you can voluntarily contribute to fund salaries for them above that liberal.

Why don't you pass a hat around, and see how many offers come in?

Oh that's right, far leftists want OTHER people to pay for their desired programs...

Old 04-03-2011, 08:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NorthGAbound12 View Post
No your statement is really pathetic. Those people are exercising their rights under their state Constitution. Politicians are supposed to be public servants, if the people are unhappy with them it's their right to recall them.
So when they lose the recalls, are they going to try some other BS legal tactic, or will they finally accept they are extremely unpopular and will never succeed?

Maybe the supporters of this recall BS can leave WI - or even better this country - for a long time. Would solve lots of problems...

Old 04-03-2011, 08:29 AM

78,863 posts, read 46,727,653 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MaseMan View Post

The recall of these corporate puppets is going to happen, and they know it. Funny we haven't heard much about the recall efforts against Democrats, huh?

It is about maturity and the ability to take your medicine after it has been forced down your throat.

Conservatives take their medicine that is forced and plan for the annual revolution.
Progressive throw a fit, have temper tantrums and want to tear something up and hit walls. They want their pain eliminated instantly, after force feeding.
They do not wish to play by the rules, they want to make the rules to favor them as the game is played, like a spoiled child does.

Old 04-03-2011, 08:32 AM

7,214 posts, read 9,409,393 times
We don't care what you out of state astroturfers say. The Republicans in Wisconsin are going to be punished. No amount of online spin, Faux News lies, or Koch brother funding is going to stop it.

Old 04-03-2011, 08:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaseMan View Post
We don't care what you out of state astroturfers say. The Republicans in Wisconsin are going to be punished. No amount of online spin, Faux News lies, or Koch brother funding is going to stop it.
After getting blasted by facts for the last 10 pages, the far left dives back into its last and only refuge:

Emotional nonsense, talking point slings of "koch brothers" - as if the public employee unions in WI aren't receiving massive funding by outside national public employee unions - and "astroturf" - as if outside, organized groups like ACORN and Obama's political machine aren't in WI trying to whip up support for these obscene recalls.

I don't know which I'm hoping for more, the recalls to fail badly, so that the far leftists can scream in agonized defeat even more seeing how unpopular they are - or that they win, so that WI can be bankrupted in a few years when the democraps take over, and re-instate their tax-and-spend-on-the-public-unions policies.

Of course, if the latter happens, even if 99% of the budget of a bankrupted WI is spent on public employees, the far left psychotics would still claim the bankruptcy of the state was due to "corporate welfare" or some other BS...

Old 04-03-2011, 10:08 AM

5,864 posts, read 4,990,105 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sterpetron View Post
I love how the far left/moveon.org crowd keep moving the goalposts...

First its: "they are earning middle class salaries", so after getting proved wrong their "argument" changes to: "so what if they do make alot of money, other people do also"...

This is how I know how much money and effort the public employee unions are throwing into this last gasp fight to continue their gravy train, they have PR flacks all over web forums using the same nonsensical talking points to give the appearance of a mass, grassroots movement of people allegedly supporting public unions - which is patently false.

If you feel law enforcement deserves massive salaries that you were claiming earlier they weren't getting - THEN YOU ARE WELCOME to volunteer and pay higher taxes to fund them.

Perhaps you can set up a volunteer system, where the cops/firemen are paid market salaries - and far left/liberals like you can voluntarily contribute to fund salaries for them above that liberal.

Why don't you pass a hat around, and see how many offers come in?

Oh that's right, far leftists want OTHER people to pay for their desired programs...
When did I mention "moveon.org?" Why does the far right/stormfront.com crowd always falsely lump people into movements or magazines?

Also, show me the post where I said police and firefighters don't make a lot of money? I know in the state I live in they don't make a whole lot, so what if some California police officers make 6 figures? I guarantee you that the vast majority of police officers never see 6 figures in their whole careers. I never denied that some do though. But they are exceptions that you keep posting as the rule.

I think it's a sign of a sick society and a sicker individual that war and destruction is supported and money is no obstacle but when it comes to teachers, firefighters, and police officers they are suddenly living the lifestyles of the rich and the famous. There's always more money for a fat cat bailout and or a bankster kickback, but god forbid a few cops in California pull in 6 figures. Now the cop in Georgia making 36,000 should SUFFER for his "lavish lifestyle" and "extravagant benefits," after all it's not like he's providing a crucial public service or anything.

I love the schoolyard taunt of "if you want this program volunteer to pay for it dur dur dur." That's a stupid argument. I do pay, I pay taxes. If you don't like taxes move to Somalia I'm sure their tax rates are low. I don't mind paying to live in a civilized society, do I pay very much in taxes? No, but my income is going up and I won't be mad when my tax bracket moves up either. That's the cost of living in a civilized society. You want to live in a clean, safe, educated nation but you don't want to pay for it. I hate to break it to you but reality doesn't work that way. By the way, if you pay a dollar in taxes you've paid more than a lot of giant corporations:

Quote:
Meanwhile corporations are sitting on nearly $2 trillion in cash on hand, and big banks have nearly a trillion dollars in excess reserves parked at the Federal Reserve. In 2005, one out of four large corporations paid no income taxes at all even though they collected $1.1 trillion in revenue over that one-year period.
In 2009, Exxon Mobil made $19 billion in profits. Not only did Exxon not pay any federal income taxes, it actually received a $156 million rebate from the IRS, according to SEC filings.
Bank of America received a $1.9 billion tax refund from the IRS last year, even though it made $4.4 billion in profits and received a bailout from the Federal Reserve and the Treasury Department of nearly $1 trillion.
Boeing, which received a $30 billion contract from the Pentagon to build 179 airborne tankers, got a $124 million refund from the IRS last year.
Valero Energy, the 25th largest company in America with $68 billion in sales last year, received a $157 million tax refund check from the IRS and, over the past three years, it received a $134 million tax break from the oil and gas manufacturing tax deduction.
In 2008, Goldman Sachs only paid 1.1 percent of its income in taxes even though it earned a profit of $2.3 billion and received an almost $800 billion from the Federal Reserve and U.S. Treasury Department.
Last year, Citigroup made over $4 billion in profits but paid no federal income taxes, even though it received a $2.5 trillion bailout from the Federal Reserve and U.S. Treasury Department. Over the past five years, while General Electric made $26 billion in profits in the United States, it received a $4.1 billion refund from the IRS. According to a New York Times article, "G.E. is so good at avoiding taxes that some people consider its tax department to be the best in the world, even better than any law firm's."
Chevron received a $19 million refund from the IRS last year, even though it made $10 billion in profits in 2009.
ConocoPhillips, the fifth largest oil company in the United States, which made $16 billion in profits from 2007 through 2009, received $451 million in tax breaks through the oil and gas manufacturing deduction.
Ford's federal income tax rate was just 2.3 percent in 2009 even though it made $3 billion in profits.
Over the past five years, Carnival Cruise Lines made over $11 billion in profits, but its federal income tax rate during those years was just 1.1 percent.
Over the last five years, Southwest Airlines paid a federal income tax rate of 6.3 percent, Yahoo paid 7 percent, and Prudential Financial paid 7.6 percent
Sen. Bernie Sanders: End Tax Breaks for Profitable Corporations

So if teachers, cops, and firefighters are going to have take pay cuts and benefit concessions is not time for billionaire corporations to pony up? By the way, we were assured ad nauseum by conservatives that if the corporate tax rates were lower we'd see a "rising tide that lifts all boats." Well we're all waiting for this tide we were promised? With that extra government cheese in their pockets Corporate America should have reduced the unemployment number to somewhere around zero. So far the only "rising tide" has lifted yachts, not any of our boats.

We could also roll back the Bush tax cuts which would bring in a lot of extra money. But, I'm sure you're to say, those people EARNED their money. To that I say, police, firefighters, and teachers EARN their money too.

Old 04-03-2011, 10:22 AM

6,721 posts, read 5,210,975 times
sure, you might be able to sell that to a few uninformed members of the unwashed masses, but those that follow things and study history, aren't convinced. It is reagun's STAVE THE BEAST (yes, do google it, please) scheme of cutting taxes (preferably on for the wealthy) with out a corresponding cut in spending, in fact, increase spending all you want until the system finally collapses under it own weight. god, that sounds sooo unpatriotic, plan to destroy the government, this very the country so you can squeeze another dime profit out of the system....

The "deficits don't matter" days of the 1980's have turned into "deficits are ALL that matters and we gotta have smaller government because we are drowning in debt now.

This has been the long term strategy of the right, since reagun, every repub administration has piled deficits onto the debt, while Clinton reversed that trend for a while. Every repub president has presided over record deficits and rising debt levels and that was all good, not a peep from the right.

Yes this is the koch brothers and that whole cabal they are linked to, the roots of this scheme go back to the kochs' father and his john birch society...

Quote:
Originally Posted by sterpetron View Post
Uh yeah suuuure. Suddenly in this country, trying to spend no more than what you have is a "bad" thing.

And I do hope, BTW, that he destroys the public employee unions.

We expect our government to spend within its means, and keep our taxes low. And not have to listen to Moveon.org talking points like those found here:

https://secure.actblue.com/contribut...all?refcode=e4

They are next, cannot attack every thief at the same time.

Give it time...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies