Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-03-2011, 10:40 AM

1,123 posts, read 776,588 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NorthGAbound12 View Post
Also, show me the post where I said police and firefighters don't make a lot of money?
Many other far left posters on this forum have claimed they don't.

Quote:
I know in the state I live in they don't make a whole lot, so what if some California police officers make 6 figures?
Many or most do, and their pensions and health care benefits, along with those of the other public employees - are blowing up city and state budgets.

No one has claimed that it is ONLY police/firemen, they simply are one component of an overcompensated government workforce.

Quote:
I guarantee you that the vast majority of police officers never see 6 figures in their whole careers. I never denied that some do though. But they are exceptions that you keep posting as the rule.
Almost the entire counties of Nassau and Suffolk do, how is that an "exception"?

Quote:
I think it's a sign of a sick society and a sicker individual that war and destruction is supported and money is no obstacle but when it comes to teachers, firefighters, and police officers they are suddenly living the lifestyles of the rich and the famous.
Good strawman, keep them coming.

Still waiting for you and any other far leftist public employee defenders to justify how they will pay for the massive health care benefits and salaries of the public employees, plus the medicaid costs for the poor. As shown in other threads here, even if the so-called rich were taxed at near 100% rates, there would still not be enough money to pay for these liabilities.

It's real simple, politicians have promised more in salaries and benefits to public employees and the poor than is possibly affordable in this country.

The far left knows this, but given their infantile entitlement/"the government will take care of me always" attitude, we cannot enter an intelligent, fact-based discussion about it. The left can only respond with more tedious appeals to the emotional, uneducated and uninformed with nonsense about: "destroying the middle class," "the koch brothers", or some other deflective tripe.

Quote:
There's always more money for a fat cat bailout and or a bankster kickback, but god forbid a few cops in California pull in 6 figures.
Clearly, you are unable to move beyond meaningless, MSNBC labels without substance, nor grasp the reasons why public employee unions are a huge problem in this country. I believe you either belong to one, or are paid to post here and present these repetitive posts which offer no facts - only emotional appeals.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-03-2011, 10:54 AM

5,864 posts, read 4,981,656 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sterpetron View Post

Many or most do, and their pensions and health care benefits, along with those of the other public employees - are blowing up city and state budgets.

No one has claimed that it is ONLY police/firemen, they simply are one component of an overcompensated government workforce.

Almost the entire counties of Nassau and Suffolk do, how is that an "exception"?

Still waiting for you and any other far leftist public employee defenders to justify how they will pay for the massive health care benefits and salaries of the public employees, plus the medicaid costs for the poor. As shown in other threads here, even if the so-called rich were taxed at near 100% rates, there would still not be enough money to pay for these liabilities.

It's real simple, politicians have promised more in salaries and benefits to public employees and the poor than is possibly affordable in this country.

The far left knows this, but given their infantile entitlement/"the government will take care of me always" attitude, we cannot enter an intelligent, fact-based discussion about it. The left can only respond with more tedious appeals to the emotional, uneducated and uninformed with nonsense about: "destroying the middle class," "the koch brothers", or some other deflective tripe.

Clearly, you are unable to move beyond meaningless, MSNBC labels without substance, nor grasp the reasons why public employee unions are a huge problem in this country. I believe you either belong to one, or are paid to post here and present these repetitive posts which offer no facts - only emotional appeals.
Ha, I'm not even a public sector employee. Anyway, I'm not entirely against reforming unions, as they many of them have become corrupt and no longer act the function they were created for. For the most part big unions are just like big government and big business, they fail to do what they were created for and look out for the bottom line of those at the top.

That said, I refuse to **** on teachers and emergency personnel just because some unions suck, nor do I want to strip them of collective bargaining rights. Unions, if used properly, are a valuable tool for workers to protect themselves against people like Scott Walker.

Old 04-03-2011, 11:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by buzzards27 View Post
sure, you might be able to sell that to a few uninformed members of the unwashed masses, but those that follow things and study history, aren't convinced. It is reagun's STAVE THE BEAST (yes, do google it, please) scheme of cutting taxes (preferably on for the wealthy) with out a corresponding cut in spending, in fact, increase spending all you want until the system finally collapses under it own weight. god, that sounds sooo unpatriotic, plan to destroy the government, this very the country so you can squeeze another dime profit out of the system....

The "deficits don't matter" days of the 1980's have turned into "deficits are ALL that matters and we gotta have smaller government because we are drowning in debt now.

This has been the long term strategy of the right, since reagun, every repub administration has piled deficits onto the debt, while Clinton reversed that trend for a while. Every repub president has presided over record deficits and rising debt levels and that was all good, not a peep from the right.

Yes this is the koch brothers and that whole cabal they are linked to, the roots of this scheme go back to the kochs' father and his john birch society...
Yes it's funny how it went from "deficits are big enough to take care of themselves," to know it's a fire sale everything must go!

Old 04-03-2011, 11:08 AM

Quote:

By the way, why do you conveniently ignore the list of giant corporations who are able to skate come tax time? Are you not worried about the BILLIONS being lost there? Perhaps YOU are being paid by corporate interests to post here since you can't get past slamming the few 100K police officers yet seem to have no words of outrage at the billion dollar fat cats who PROFIT from the tax system?

Old 04-03-2011, 11:12 AM

1,123 posts, read 776,588 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NorthGAbound12 View Post
By the way, why do you conveniently ignore the list of giant corporations who are able to skate come tax time? Are you not worried about the BILLIONS being lost there? Perhaps YOU are being paid by corporate interests to post here since you can't get past slamming the few 100K police officers yet seem to have no words of outrage at the billion dollar fat cats who PROFIT from the tax system?
You're kidding right? Because the corporate lowlifes are stealing, that the public unions cannot be dealt with?

AFTER the public unions are eliminated - which require FAR more in costs than the tax breaks for the corporate leeches, they tool will be dealt with - harshly. I have only slightly less contempt for the chambers of commerce defending corporate american than I do for the public employee unions. Both are cancers, enemies of this country. But like bowling pins, they cannot all be knocked down at the same time, and the public employee unions are a larger budget item by far - so therefore, they must and need to be fixed first.

Old 04-03-2011, 11:19 AM

22,229 posts, read 17,863,405 times
Quote:
You're kidding right? Because the corporate lowlifes are stealing, that the public unions cannot be dealt with?

AFTER the public unions are eliminated - which require FAR more in costs than the tax breaks for the corporate leeches, they tool will be dealt with - harshly. I have only slightly less contempt for the chambers of commerce defending corporate american than I do for the public employee unions. Both are cancers, enemies of this country. But like bowling pins, they cannot all be knocked down at the same time, and the public employee unions are a larger budget item by far - so therefore, they must and need to be fixed first.
You forget why Unions developed. There was a need for them and that need is returning.

Old 04-03-2011, 01:06 PM

22,191 posts, read 19,473,387 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BentBow View Post
Just like Nov. 2nd, you will see the Conservative side of the citizens squash the immature cry babies and crooks.

How many Conservatives screamed and threw temper tantrums for a recall election after Progressives took power and started spending spending spending?
No, the Conservatives took a beating and planned for the next revolution, scheduled every 2 years, like an adult.

It makes the Progressives look childish and petty.
It will backfire once again, just like everything they have done in the last 2 years.
America has a woke a giant. The rise of the Conservative movement, and away from Progressive theft.

First off not all states have a recall process. Secondly, it was the GOP and conservative groups that were the first to start the recall efforts in Wisconsin.

Old 04-03-2011, 01:10 PM

6,721 posts, read 5,203,749 times
Quote:

As shown in other threads here, even if the so-called rich were taxed at near 100% rates, there would still not be enough money to pay for these liabilities.
I would disagree with that assessment, you're just throwing nonsense out there. You talk as if all of the outstanding liabilities would have to be paid 100% on the spot. How about we fund those liabilities as they are due and payable, like in the real world.

But seeing you just gave me 100% of the so-called rich's money to play with. With 100% of a gross domestic product of $15 Trillion it would take less that a year to pay off the national debt. One year and the debt is GONE. then over the next year or two we could tackle each and every other shortfalls we have out there. Underfunded pensions? with ALL unfunded pensions add up to about $3.5 trillion, we can fund them 100%, zero out the shortage, in 3 months with 100% of GDP.

what about a SS fix, you say? you already repaid the SS trust fund IOU's (intragovernment holdings portion of the national debt) in the first year and a fix as simple as removing the income cap would make SS solvent for hundreds of years.

National debt gone, unfunded pension 100% fully funded, SS fixed and now we have all the interest money we were paying toward the debt to fix any other problems that crop up.

Old 04-03-2011, 01:12 PM

22,191 posts, read 19,473,387 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by car54 View Post
I've wondered the same thing. The only theory I can come up with is... governors have a state police security detail around them 24/7.

Maybe he doesn't want to make enemies of the officers that just might have to prevent somebody from splitting his skull.
They tend to be more GOP Unions (someone mentioned the high pay of the Nassau County cops earlier in the thread, they are a VERY Republican Union)

Walker was endorsed by the State Troopers Union, he was endorsed by some of the Police and Firefighters Unions and trying to get into the good graces with the others. The teachers Unions tend to be heavily Democratic. The teachers Unions btw, make less than the Unions not impacted have a lower pensions, and those pensions cap out at a lower % of an already lower pay scale than the Unions not impacted.

The ironic thing is even the Unions not impacted by this have turned against Walker.

Old 04-03-2011, 01:19 PM

22,229 posts, read 17,863,405 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Smash255 View Post
They tend to be more GOP Unions (someone mentioned the high pay of the Nassau County cops earlier in the thread, they are a VERY Republican Union)

Walker was endorsed by the State Troopers Union, he was endorsed by some of the Police and Firefighters Unions and trying to get into the good graces with the others. The teachers Unions tend to be heavily Democratic. The teachers Unions btw, make less than the Unions not impacted have a lower pensions, and those pensions cap out at a lower % of an already lower pay scale than the Unions not impacted.

The ironic thing is even the Unions not impacted by this have turned against Walker.
That is true. They used to be GOP supporters in Ohio too.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies