Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-08-2011, 10:06 AM

3,325 posts, read 3,171,706 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by brien51 View Post
Allen West would be a very good choice for the Republicans if they want to go "mano a mano" in terms of skin color in the next race.
Let the democratic party pick their candidates on the basis of skin color. I'd rather pick them based on whether or not they represent my values. Having said that I like what I know of congressman west's background, I don't have a problem with his hamoodi incident. I need to ascertain his position on a variety of subjects in order to determine if I'd vote for him.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-08-2011, 10:09 AM

577 posts, read 900,666 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moth View Post
More than a decade ago, they were salivating over the prospect of Colin Powell running. So I would say anytime a viable one appears.

Even in the post Obama age, sheer numbers will reduce the amount of Black candidates all around.
Yep just what I was going to say. They would have nominated Powell in a heartbeat and probably still would. So as soon as a viable candidate enters the field I don't see them having any problem due to race. I think women have more trouble in the GOP as they are still seen as divisive and unelectable (for president). Also the left seems to hate conservative women more than they hate conservative blacks/ minorities, not that they have any love for either.

Old 04-08-2011, 10:17 AM

39,875 posts, read 26,526,580 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mermaid825 View Post
Yep just what I was going to say. They would have nominated Powell in a heartbeat and probably still would. So as soon as a viable candidate enters the field I don't see them having any problem due to race. I think women have more trouble in the GOP as they are still seen as divisive and unelectable (for president). Also the left seems to hate conservative women more than they hate conservative blacks/ minorities, not that they have any love for either.
I think the left, and the media (OK, one and the same) are terrified of minorities and womens success in the Republican party. Irrational labling of Republicans as racists or "anti-women" is a major card they have to play for both voting blocks. They have lost nearly every rational "talking point", this is all they have left. When they have nothing left viable to debate, there is always the "race card" to play. They fear loosing even that.

How else would you explain the irrational vitrol and downright hatred they show for successful conservative women and minorities?

By all accounts, Jackson-Lee and Slaughter are far less capable and competent than Palin or Bachman (sp?). Yet the media goes out of their way not to show their wacky statements. Similar with Thomas. Ginsberg is a bit of a loon, you will never see a harsh word about her.

Old 04-08-2011, 10:26 AM

25,619 posts, read 36,717,554 times
Allen West, etc... as mentioned by previous posters. I think a Hispanic might make the ticket first for the GOP before a Black man or woman. Seeing as they are the single largest ethnic minority group in the USA.

Last edited by Bulldogdad; 04-08-2011 at 10:53 AM..

Old 04-08-2011, 10:43 AM

7,474 posts, read 22,887,160 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SourD View Post
If either Herman Cain or Allen West runs, I'll vote for them on a ticket.
I second that...! I would love to see Herman Cain run and win, that would take the wind out of the sails of all who's only argument is the race card..

Old 04-08-2011, 10:54 AM

7,474 posts, read 22,887,160 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucario View Post
Yeah. After all, we gave white guys all kinds of chances. Why would Obama's performance (which is far from poor btw) screw it up for black men (or women)?
Your "Wonder Boy" has set politics and race ralations back 100 years..
He would have to improve his peformance considerably to even be considred poor....!
But continue with your dreams, Anyone who supports obama has nothing left but dreams...

Old 04-08-2011, 11:20 AM

10,854 posts, read 9,305,856 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Versatile View Post
Gee i guess i need to explain it to you; huh!

GOP runs a black man against Obama. Thus the black vote and Hispanic vote might be up in the air.
Not likely to happen sorry.

Old 04-08-2011, 11:29 AM

10,854 posts, read 9,305,856 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vejadu View Post
Herman Cain is exploring a 2012 Presidential run. The Tea Party loves him, so he could get some legitimate support.
Herman Cain would have been much better served running for the Governor of Georgia. If he won it would have put anybody on notice that he has the political and campaign skills to win an election and could deliver a fairly large state for the Republican Party. Not only that a term of Governor of Georgia would have seriously enhanced his resume and name recognition. Also the with the exception of Barack Obama and George H.W. Bush every President since Gerald Ford has been a governor of a state.

Right now if for too many people he simply lacks the name recognition and presence on the national political scene to be a serious presidential contender.

I don’t know who is laying out his political strategy for him but I really think he would have been helped by a run at Governor of Georgia first.

Old 04-08-2011, 12:06 PM

2,083 posts, read 1,621,547 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JazzyTallGuy View Post
Herman Cain would have been much better served running for the Governor of Georgia. If he won it would have put anybody on notice that he has the political and campaign skills to win an election and could deliver a fairly large state for the Republican Party. Not only that a term of Governor of Georgia would have seriously enhanced his resume and name recognition. Also the with the exception of Barack Obama and George H.W. Bush every President since Gerald Ford has been a governor of a state.

Right now if for too many people he simply lacks the name recognition and presence on the national political scene to be a serious presidential contender.

I don’t know who is laying out his political strategy for him but I really think he would have been helped by a run at Governor of Georgia first.
It would definitely be wiser politically to run for Governor first, but I think he's too gung-ho about running straight for the White House. He definitely needs to work on his name recognition, but at least he is trying to tap into the social media that was so important to Obama's campaign. I'm following him on Facebook and he seems to be learning how to use it fairly effectively to brand himself, though he needs more exposure in the national spotlight if he's going to be a contender.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies