Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-22-2011, 01:56 PM

1,615 posts, read 2,576,108 times

Advertisements

I'm gay and have known as such basically my whole life as far back as I can remember. I get astounded when i here some conservatives talk about the 'gays' as though i'm one of the 'other'. I think it's weird because I'm just regular old me. The shy kid who liked to learn about history and liked to read etc. Yet they try to make me out to be a part of this 'other' that's separate. I think it's weird that to some people out there i'm 'one of them'. I think it's weird that strangers hate me enough to think that they get to vote on my rights while enjoying them and that they think it's constitutional to do so. (apparently conservatives aren't good at civics). I think it's weird how issues that surround 'me'. actually BRING people out to VOTE in a PASSIONATE ANGRY WAY.

I go to work, read, visit with friends and family. have a long term loving partner. What is it about 'me' that makes many conservatives so passionately angry?

How would you feel if strangers hated you for NO REASON?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-22-2011, 04:04 PM

561 posts, read 506,010 times
Conservatives AND liberals look at homosexuality as a political issue because the "rights" or "protections" that each group wants can oly be provided or secured through the political and legislative process.

Old 04-22-2011, 06:05 PM

68,330 posts, read 54,428,613 times
For the right it's a rallying point and a $$$$ raiser.

Old 04-22-2011, 06:18 PM

1,133 posts, read 1,351,375 times
Rlarson, that was rather 'slippery' of you, starting the thread based on 'political use' of your sexuality, and ending on a completely different note...

...what's your REAL issue here ?

Old 04-22-2011, 06:22 PM

11,531 posts, read 10,296,868 times
Christian conservatives love to tell people how to live their lives. Despite all their stupid signs about small government, they really aren't.

Old 04-22-2011, 06:28 PM

4,209 posts, read 3,591,784 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Savoir Faire View Post
Christian conservatives love to tell people how to live their lives. Despite all their stupid signs about small government, they really aren't.
I beg to differ! I am Christian and conservative and I have a lot of gay friends whom are both liberal and conservative. I also do not care at all how people live their lives, as long as they do not try to fleece the money I work hard for.

Care to take back your incorrect statement???

Old 04-22-2011, 06:30 PM

11,531 posts, read 10,296,868 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stayinformed40 View Post
I beg to differ! I am Christian and conservative and I have a lot of gay friends whom are both liberal and conservative. I also do not care at all how people live their lives, as long as they do not try to fleece the money I work hard for.

Care to take back your incorrect statement???
What do you think about abortion? What do you think about gay marriage? What do you think about legalizing marijuana?

Old 04-22-2011, 06:36 PM

14,100 posts, read 28,544,430 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rlarson21 View Post
I'm gay and have known as such basically my whole life as far back as I can remember. I get astounded when i here some conservatives talk about the 'gays' as though i'm one of the 'other'. I think it's weird because I'm just regular old me. The shy kid who liked to learn about history and liked to read etc. Yet they try to make me out to be a part of this 'other' that's separate. I think it's weird that to some people out there i'm 'one of them'. I think it's weird that strangers hate me enough to think that they get to vote on my rights while enjoying them and that they think it's constitutional to do so. (apparently conservatives aren't good at civics). I think it's weird how issues that surround 'me'. actually BRING people out to VOTE in a PASSIONATE ANGRY WAY.

I go to work, read, visit with friends and family. have a long term loving partner. What is it about 'me' that makes many conservatives so passionately angry?

How would you feel if strangers hated you for NO REASON?
First off, are you defining yourself as a homosexual or are you responding to others defining you as such? Don't let others define who you are based upon one aspect of your life. Secondly, just because the Democratic party talks about gay rights doesn't necessarily mean that's what they're for. Remember, Democratic party controlled both houses of congress recently,...and do you, as a gay man, have any more rights now than you had then?

Old 04-22-2011, 06:37 PM

4,209 posts, read 3,591,784 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Savoir Faire View Post
What do you think about abortion? What do you think about gay marriage? What do you think about legalizing marijuana?
Well, since you asked....

Abortion - it is a woman's right to choose. And she must live with her decision - that is between her and the one she calls maker. If she is ok with her decision, that is all that matters and is certainly not anything that I should judge.

Gay marriage - again, that is their choice and not my trip to take. YES, I do believe it is a sin in the bible that I follow and try to live by - however, it is also a sin for me to judge others. I support making sure everyone has rights to be happy. However, I do get a little sick of hearing some from the gay community cry 'acceptance.' They need to be comfortable with their choices and live with them. Please let me add that I have several gay friends whom are always welcome in my home and my life.

Legalizing marijuana - no thougts. Don't do it and probably never will. That needs to be decided by people with more knowledge on the subject than me.

Any more questions?

Old 04-22-2011, 06:40 PM

10,875 posts, read 13,818,404 times
Social issues like abortion, gay marriage, etc,.. are hot button issues that many people base their views and votes on.
The hard right are anti-gay mainly from being bigots and secondly from being a "good christian" which means ignoring everything in the bible except to hate gays and be anti-abortion.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies