Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 05-09-2011, 07:55 PM

22,632 posts, read 14,948,315 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by EinsteinsGhost View Post

It isn't an example of a paradox, it is an example of a word being hijacked, since 1890s and effectively used since, even on Jews who have raised their voice against Israeli governments.
You are mistaken. It was a word "hijacked" by anti-Jewish Christians in the mid-Nineteenth Century in Central Europe, in order to proclaim and glory in their opposition of the Jewish community, particularly in the Austro-Hungarian Empire. They never used the term to cast aspersion against any Arab or Muslim groups (although being bigots I can well guess they had terms for them as well).

In the mid-Nineteenth Century there was a popular and influential newspaper published in Vienna call Der Antisemit.The powerful mayor of Vienna, Karl Lueger (1844 - 1910) helped make anti-Semitism fashionable during that era. By all accounts, history shows us that despite having a significant Jewish community, anti-Jewish hatred and prejudice in the Austro-Hungarian empire was rampant and systemic. It is no wonder that Theodore Herzl emerged from the muck and mire of all that bigotry and discrimination.

Old 05-09-2011, 09:28 PM

66 posts, read 63,572 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Walter Greenspan View Post
Poorly educated African Americans and Hispanics, as well as, sorry to say, non-observant, secular Jews, are the last vestiges of anti-Semitism in the U.S.
So, in other words, white people are totally on board with the Jewish agenda?

Ha!

Once the veneer of the Jewish media conglomerates starts to crack, white, black, Hispanic, etc. awareness will shoot through the roof. The days of the grand ol' monopolies on sculpting public opinion will come to an end. As will playing one racial group against another by a select few.

Old 05-09-2011, 09:36 PM

9,961 posts, read 17,529,744 times
Quote:
Poorly educated African Americans and Hispanics, as well as, sorry to say, non-observant, secular Jews, are the last vestiges of anti-Semitism in the U.S.
Those damn secular Jews and their self-hating ways! They keep beating themselves up or vandalizing synagogues on the three days out of the year they actually go to synagogue! Oy vey!

Old 05-09-2011, 10:43 PM

56,988 posts, read 35,215,209 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by le roi View Post
Furthermore I think this pro-Israel mentality is not borne out of widespread infatuation with Judaism. I think it is anti-Arab, anti-Muslim sentiment. Around the time of the Iraqi war, "Good ol boy" white rednecks I knew were suddenly experts on the Mossad, and had nothing but great things to say about Israel. I agree that, at the time, it struck me as funny.
You can pretty much close up this thread cuz this paragraph wraps it up. This is it in a nutshell.

Old 05-09-2011, 10:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiger Blood View Post
I am half Jewish, and I would definitely feel a lot safer walking around with a kippah in a bible belt state like South Carolina than I would in predominantly muslim Iran.
I don't know about that. Iranian Jews are pretty prosperous, contrary to popular belief.

Old 05-09-2011, 10:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by newhandle View Post
The history of Judiasm is filled with lands, empires and nations where we lived and thrived for centuries and even thousands of years and then were forced out and/or exterminated.
Yea, well i'm black...so i'm not without empathy.

Old 05-09-2011, 10:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dr_astin View Post
This will probably change if/when the economy really crashes, the dollar is worthless and the Wall Street CEOs leave the country.
Nonsense. This isn't Germany circa 1938.

Old 05-09-2011, 10:54 PM

Quote:
Bullsh*t. Speaking from the African American perspective, i can safely say that you don't know what the hell you're talking about.

I know some black folks who aren't all that crazy about white folks, but it's not that deep...believe me. Black people generally see Jews as just another white ethnic group. They have no interest in the distinctions you make. I know the distinctions myself because i'm personally interested in that type of thing, but my brother (for example) makes no difference between Jew, Irish, German, Polish, Russian, Armenian, Turkish, Dutch, or any other white ethnic group and wouldn't give a damn if the distinctions were pointed out.

Old 05-09-2011, 11:00 PM

66 posts, read 63,572 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by desertdetroiter View Post
Bullsh*t. Speaking from the African American perspective, i can safely say that you don't know what the hell you're talking about.

I know some black folks who aren't all that crazy about white folks, but it's not that deep...believe me. Black people generally see Jews as just another white ethnic group. They have no interest in the distinctions you make. I know the distinctions myself because i'm personally interested in that type of thing, but my brother (for example) makes no difference between Jew, Irish, German, Polish, Russian, Armenian, Turkish, Dutch, or any other white ethnic group and wouldn't give a damn if the distinctions were pointed out.
Jews have never thought of themselves as 'white'... they have always separated themselves from whites and especially white Christians.

Like the old saying from the 1950s... "Jews live like Episcopalians (richly) but vote like Puerto Ricans (like commie activists)...

Old 05-09-2011, 11:04 PM

3,804 posts, read 6,174,809 times
The US and Americans has always been very welcoming and friendly towards Jewish people. Even during the second Klan which was probably the worst time American Jews had they were a distant fourth target of the KKK after blacks, immigrants, and Catholics. While the US did heavily limit Jewish immigration in the early 20th Century, it was due more to the concern over the far left beliefs of the intelligentsia among the immigrants.

A few things since someone mentioned in one of the first pages about the old Jewish communities in the South. Judah P. Benjamin was the Secretary of State for the CSA, and at the time that was the highest position an observant Jew had held in a republic. The Confederate battle flag was changed to its final pattern after some Southern Jews asked that the flag not display an obvious cross as it made it appear that the flag represented an exclusively Christian nation.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies