Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 05-07-2011, 01:49 PM

77,771 posts, read 104,756,288 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottyr View Post
is it safe to say that anti-Semitism is almost non-existanct in this century among white, Christian Americans?

I realize that sizable portions of the black, Latino and Arab Muslim community in America still dislike Jews, but it seems to me that conservative, Christian whites, who would have been anti-semitic 50 years ago, are now very vocal in proclaiming their solidarity with the Jewish people. If i recall correctly, some ultra-right wing Christian politician from Utah made some kind of song and dance a while back about how much he loves Jews.

As for left wing whites, i realize that conservatives often paint them as anti-semites because they sometimes criticize Israel, but face it, not many lefties are burning crosses on the lawns of families that just happan to be named Goldstein or Steinwitz....and most Leftists worship influential Jewish people like Chomsky, Jon Stewart, Bill Maher and Naomi Klein. I've never heard of Leftists treating somebody badly because they are of Jewish ancestry, maybe if they are Israeli army officers, but not just because they have semitic blood.

I realize that maybe there are still a contingent of white Americans who hate everyone of Jewish bloodlines and see Jews as subhuman demons, but face it, these are mostly people who live in their parents basement, posting conspiracy theories up at Stormfront.com...they are not an important part of American society and are nowhere close to being as organized or as militant or as vicious as Russias skinheads or even British white nationalists (who by the way, have somewhat dropped that whole anti-Jewish thing in favor of anti-islam)

White conservative Christian anti-semites in America are about as important a demographic group as diehard Godzilla fans in America, small in numbers, mostly fat, mostly basement-dwelling, mostly harmless.

I still encounter white Christian Conservatives often that harbor at least some form of prejudice against Latinos, Blacks, or (most often) Arabs....but never, ever Jews.

I realize this is more of a rant than a question, but if you feel i'm wrong, please say so....it just seems to me that in the past 50 years or so, White American society has moved from being highly anti-semitic to die-hard,obsessively in love with anything Jewish. This is a good thing by the way, i just wish that in another few years, whites will love Blacks, Latinos and Arabs just as much as they love Jews.
I certainly hope it is dead, at least it is dieing. I don't think many of the Crhistians I know are ant-semitic. At least not the younger generation. For older people it takes time to accept changes. Everyone of us has some bigotry in us: what about the ones who laugh at Huckabee and Christie for being overweight, or those think everyone living in the south is either dumb or uneducated? There are many atheists and agnostic that make fun of Christian conservatives or Christians period, saying they have been brain washed or are really dumb. You get the picture, I wish we could all learn to be less judgemental, I think many are trying, but there is always room for improvement.

Nita

Old 05-07-2011, 01:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by azriverfan. View Post
It still exists in the Bible Belt. It is subtle but it is still there. They think Jews killed Jesus and don't have a favorable view of Jews. Even on this forum, the anti-Israeli type of threads usually originate from people living in this area. They have a hierarchy. They dislike Muslims and non-Christian faith believers more but they consider Judaism to be an inferior faith and incomplete. You probably won't encounter discrimination until you decide to seriously date one of them. Then you will witness this form of discrimination. They will try to convert you or they will say they can't engage into a long term relationship with you because of your faith and their family won't approve. Yes, it's there. Don't think they have forgotten about you just because they are infatuated with Muslims right now.
it doesn't exist as much in the Bible belt as you might think. In the truely deep, deep south and the small rural areas you are completely right, but in the more metro areas the Christain conservatives have come along way. Is it more an issue in the mid-west and south, yes, but not much about Jews.\

Old 05-07-2011, 01:55 PM

Quote:
If your sister married a Jew and was asked to convert to Judaism, you are telling me your family would have not problem with that? I guarantee the people in your area would very much be opposed to that. In the South, it's gotten to the point that discrimination is not open any longer and only shows it's head in these intimate situations.

Also, a big reason why your area isn't open armed toward Jews is because many Jews fought for Civil Rights
Absolutely not true. This shows how little you know. Our own daughter married a Jew, no she did not convert because it wasn't what she believed in, but her husbands family were fine with the marriage and so were we. We have good friends in Texas, she was going to convert but after classes the Rabie decided it would not be a good idea. our granddaughter married a Hispanic. yes, we live in the south and yes, we are all very conservative..I might add, including our Jewish son in law and our Hispanic grandson in law. So, no you have no idea what you are talking about.

Nita

Old 05-07-2011, 02:07 PM

6,391 posts, read 5,168,625 times
Default ??

Quote:
Originally Posted by sarahnyc View Post
Did you visit the illegally occupied territories?
What illegally occupied territories? You mean the ones legally owned by Israel based of right of conquest? When they were attacked in 67 or during the Yom Kippur wars, won and took away some land as a result?

Nah, that would mean giving back parts of texas and new mexico to the mexicans, and major portions of America to the indians....

Old 05-07-2011, 02:16 PM

8,806 posts, read 6,112,361 times
Quote:
is it safe to say that anti-Semitism is almost non-existanct in this century among white, Christian Americans?

I realize that sizable portions of the black, Latino and Arab Muslim community in America still dislike Jews, but it seems to me that conservative, Christian whites, who would have been anti-semitic 50 years ago, are now very vocal in proclaiming their solidarity with the Jewish people. If i recall correctly, some ultra-right wing Christian politician from Utah made some kind of song and dance a while back about how much he loves Jews.

As for left wing whites, i realize that conservatives often paint them as anti-semites because they sometimes criticize Israel, but face it, not many lefties are burning crosses on the lawns of families that just happan to be named Goldstein or Steinwitz....and most Leftists worship influential Jewish people like Chomsky, Jon Stewart, Bill Maher and Naomi Klein. I've never heard of Leftists treating somebody badly because they are of Jewish ancestry, maybe if they are Israeli army officers, but not just because they have semitic blood.

I realize that maybe there are still a contingent of white Americans who hate everyone of Jewish bloodlines and see Jews as subhuman demons, but face it, these are mostly people who live in their parents basement, posting conspiracy theories up at Stormfront.com...they are not an important part of American society and are nowhere close to being as organized or as militant or as vicious as Russias skinheads or even British white nationalists (who by the way, have somewhat dropped that whole anti-Jewish thing in favor of anti-islam)

White conservative Christian anti-semites in America are about as important a demographic group as diehard Godzilla fans in America, small in numbers, mostly fat, mostly basement-dwelling, mostly harmless.

I still encounter white Christian Conservatives often that harbor at least some form of prejudice against Latinos, Blacks, or (most often) Arabs....but never, ever Jews.

I realize this is more of a rant than a question, but if you feel i'm wrong, please say so....it just seems to me that in the past 50 years or so, White American society has moved from being highly anti-semitic to die-hard,obsessively in love with anything Jewish. This is a good thing by the way, i just wish that in another few years, whites will love Blacks, Latinos and Arabs just as much as they love Jews.
Any real Christian would harbor hate for no one.

While I don't understand why people are Jewish (they believe in the same God...they just don't believe Jesus is our Savior, and that confuses me), I don't hold it against them. I don't hold anyone's religion or lack thereof against them, even if I don't agree or don't understand it. It's not very Christian-like.

Old 05-07-2011, 02:22 PM

13,005 posts, read 18,911,642 times
There is some but not a great deal. I remember back in HS I heard of a Neo-Nazi group trying to hold a march in a Jewish suburb. Its leader was the son of a Holocaust survivor!

Old 05-07-2011, 02:36 PM

6,391 posts, read 5,168,625 times
Default Lol

Quote:
Originally Posted by pvande55 View Post
There is some but not a great deal. I remember back in HS I heard of a Neo-Nazi group trying to hold a march in a Jewish suburb. Its leader was the son of a Holocaust survivor!

I was there. I was station in Great lakes at the time, they were planning on marching on Skokie Ill. There were THOUSANDS of Jewish people and only a handfull of the Neo Nazis. They were sooo pitiful.

Old 05-07-2011, 02:52 PM

25,157 posts, read 53,952,004 times
Yes I agree. Don't think they won't intimidate or make ugly insinuations about you at work if you are Jewish or of other religious preference. Petty herds of sheeple are everywhere no matter what generation you are from.

Quote:
It still exists in the Bible Belt. It is subtle but it is still there. They think Jews killed Jesus and don't have a favorable view of Jews. Even on this forum, the anti-Israeli type of threads usually originate from people living in this area. They have a hierarchy. They dislike Muslims and non-Christian faith believers more but they consider Judaism to be an inferior faith and incomplete. You probably won't encounter discrimination until you decide to seriously date one of them. Then you will witness this form of discrimination. They will try to convert you or they will say they can't engage into a long term relationship with you because of your faith and their family won't approve. Yes, it's there. Don't think they have forgotten about you just because they are infatuated with Muslims right now.

Old 05-07-2011, 02:54 PM

25,157 posts, read 53,952,004 times
Absolutely. 80% of the population is Christian. 2% or < are Jewish: who are also often segregated into their own neighborhoods. I think we should let the Jews decide if they face discrimination. Also if anti-semitism wasn't a problem we would see a drastic increase in temples and Jewish conversions.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gramirez2012 View Post
Anti-semitism is still very much alive throughout America.

Old 05-07-2011, 03:40 PM

11,011 posts, read 11,026,533 times
Quote:
I've heard people say that the South, despite anti-black and anti-foreigner sentiment in the past, has always been reletively Jew-friendly. Apparantly, Charleston and Savannha have old Jewish communities that fought in the civil war for the South and have been mostly respected by White Christians throughout the ages.

Might be true, most of the famous American anti-semites in history such as Henry Ford, Charles Lindburgh, Father Coughlin, etc, etc were northerners (specifically, Detroiters)
Yes, that is quite true of Charleston. We have one of the oldest synagogues in Charleston and actually have the distinction of having the first Jew in the western world to be elected to public office. Up until the 1830s, there were more Jews in Charleston than any other location in the United States. You do not find an anti-semitic view down here in Charleston.

Some of the heavily Southern Baptist areas in the South might look at Judaism as an inferior religion because they look at all other religions as inferior. Believe it's part of what they teach but since I am neither a Southern Baptist nor an expert in that religion, I cannot say that is exactly what they teach.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies