Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 05-08-2011, 10:23 AM

3,004 posts, read 3,887,322 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Island Trader View Post
Or you could try dating a Jew whose parents strongly disagree with your polluting their superior gene pool... Blaming rural or southern Christians for so called anti-semitism is ridiculous when you take into account how hard it is to officially become a Jew, let alone try to date or marry the offspring of practicing Jews.
It has nothing to do with prejudice or with "polluting their superior gene pool." It has to do with wanting one's children and grandchildren to be Jews and to identify as Jews, and when gentiles marry into the family, the children often become Christmas and Easter celebrants instead. That's disturbing, as it should be. What is so difficult to understand about that?

Nothing, but you'd have to actually want to step outside your uninformed ignorance and LEARN something about another culture.

It is difficult to convert to Orthodox Judaism, but very, very easy to convert to Reform or Conservative Judaism. Orthodox Jews only ask converts to do what THEY THEMSELVES do in terms of religious practice, and that's difficult for someone who is not used to those rituals and has to learn so much in order to perform them. That's why it is perceived as "difficult to become a Jew" but you are only speaking of Orthodoxy.

Old 05-08-2011, 10:25 AM

47,525 posts, read 69,716,559 times
Quote:
Jews can be hastily broken into two political camps:

Neoconservative "Israel First" Republicans (hence the endless mideast wars started under Israel's favorite president, beloved Bush)

and

Trotskyist Commie Democrats (welfare dolling, lawyer dominated civil rights activists - in the early/mid 20th century most Jews in Congress were known Bolshevik sympathizers)
A Palestinian Muslim named Sirhan Sirhan killed Robert Kennedy because at that time in the distant past, democrats supported the right of Israel to exist.

At some point the democrats turned against the Jewish people. Now they support the annilation of Israel and it's people.

66 posts, read 63,572 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay F View Post
There are a lot more in the second than first camp...a LOT more. The vast majoriy of Jews always vote Democrat. My guess is they wil vote for Obama yet again despite how anti-Israel he is.
The 'red diaper' generation was the one that unleashed chaos on American campuses in the 1960s. This 'red diaper' generation were the sons and daughters of the famous Jewish Bolshevik sympathizerrs of the 1920s-1930s. They carried on the activist tradition of their parents and then some.

Quote:
Jews can be hastily broken into two political camps:

Neoconservative "Israel First" Republicans (hence the endless mideast wars started under Israel's favorite president, beloved Bush)

and

Trotskyist Commie Democrats (welfare dolling, lawyer dominated civil rights activists - in the early/mid 20th century most Jews in Congress were known Bolshevik sympathizers)
And here we have a poster who by his very existence answers the question, "is antisemitism dead"?

No, it is not.

Old 05-08-2011, 10:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chattypatty View Post
It has nothing to do with prejudice or with "polluting their superior gene pool." It has to do with wanting one's children and grandchildren to be Jews and to identify as Jews, and when gentiles marry into the family, the children often become Christmas and Easter celebrants instead. That's disturbing, as it should be. What is so difficult to understand about that?

Nothing, but you'd have to actually want to step outside your uninformed ignorance and LEARN something about another culture.

It is difficult to convert to Orthodox Judaism, but very, very easy to convert to Reform or Conservative Judaism. Orthodox Jews only ask converts to do what THEY THEMSELVES do in terms of religious practice, and that's difficult for someone who is not used to those rituals and has to learn so much in order to perform them. That's why it is perceived as "difficult to become a Jew" but you are only speaking of Orthodoxy.
And that's no different than a white Christian Protestant not being thrilled when their son or daughter marries a white Christian Catholic. Very often they aren't real thrilled about that.

Old 05-08-2011, 10:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by malamute View Post
And that's no different than a white Christian Protestant not being thrilled when their son or daughter marries a white Christian Catholic. Very often they aren't real thrilled about that.
Perhaps, but they are still both Christians, at least, and will celebrate the same holidays (though maybe in a different fashion). I do sympathize with the losses inherent in having your child marry someone with very different traditions, though.

I think for Jews, though, it's quite a bit more intense than that as Judaism is a completely different religion than Christianity, with different holidays and traditions and even a different prayer language and certainly very different religious beliefs. There is nothing wrong with wanting to hand down traditions, regardless of your religion or ethnicity or culture. There are SO many people who, in their youth, throw over their heritage because it's not important to them in comparison to the hots they feel for some babe, and then a couple of decades down the road, they begin to grasp what they gave up and they often try to reclaim it -- which may involve divorcing that spouse and remarrying in their original faith and having a second family to "do it right." Lots of pain and anguish there for everyone. Better for people to appreciate their heritage and pay it respect.

Many Christians aren't too happy when their child wants to marry a Jew either, and it never occurred to me to think of it as prejudice or that they think they are superior to Jews, etc. It makes sense to me that families for whom religion is important want that to be perpetuated in their descendents. Totally normal!!

Old 05-08-2011, 11:21 AM

1,382 posts, read 2,386,356 times
Default Custom crafted objects of loathing made to order.

Quote:
Originally Posted by azriverfan. View Post
It still exists in the Bible Belt. It is subtle but it is still there. They think Jews killed Jesus and don't have a favorable view of Jews. Even on this forum, the anti-Israeli type of threads usually originate from people living in this area. They have a hierarchy. They dislike Muslims and non-Christian faith believers more but they consider Judaism to be an inferior faith and incomplete. You probably won't encounter discrimination until you decide to seriously date one of them. Then you will witness this form of discrimination. They will try to convert you or they will say they can't engage into a long term relationship with you because of your faith and their family won't approve. Yes, it's there. Don't think they have forgotten about you just because they are infatuated with Muslims right now.
Obvious Cristophobic fatasy.
Sounds like a "Turner Diaries" verson of Christians.

Old 05-08-2011, 11:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chattypatty View Post
Perhaps, but they are still both Christians, at least, and will celebrate the same holidays (though maybe in a different fashion). I do sympathize with the losses inherent in having your child marry someone with very different traditions, though.

I think for Jews, though, it's quite a bit more intense than that as Judaism is a completely different religion than Christianity, with different holidays and traditions and even a different prayer language and certainly very different religious beliefs. There is nothing wrong with wanting to hand down traditions, regardless of your religion or ethnicity or culture. There are SO many people who, in their youth, throw over their heritage because it's not important to them in comparison to the hots they feel for some babe, and then a couple of decades down the road, they begin to grasp what they gave up and they often try to reclaim it -- which may involve divorcing that spouse and remarrying in their original faith and having a second family to "do it right." Lots of pain and anguish there for everyone. Better for people to appreciate their heritage and pay it respect.

Many Christians aren't too happy when their child wants to marry a Jew either, and it never occurred to me to think of it as prejudice or that they think they are superior to Jews, etc. It makes sense to me that families for whom religion is important want that to be perpetuated in their descendents. Totally normal!!
Yes, and from what I can tell by people I know, it's probably about equal on both sides.

A devout practicing Jewish family is no more thrilled about having a child convert out than is a devout practicing Christian family would be. Those in name only don't really mind because faith means nothing.

But it's also not so different for a radical liberal to see a child change to Conservative. Imagine the liberals on this forum if they had a child that joined the Tea Party or believed in lowering taxes.

Old 05-08-2011, 11:34 AM

1,382 posts, read 2,386,356 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by andrea3821 View Post
Any real Christian would harbor hate for no one.

While I don't understand why people are Jewish (they believe in the same God...they just don't believe Jesus is our Savior, and that confuses me), I don't hold it against them. I don't hold anyone's religion or lack thereof against them, even if I don't agree or don't understand it. It's not very Christian-like.
Please, your not conforming to the carefully constructed false negative stereotype that the good people here are trying to enjoy!

Old 05-08-2011, 11:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by malamute View Post
Yes, and from what I can tell by people I know, it's probably about equal on both sides.

A devout practicing Jewish family is no more thrilled about having a child convert out than is a devout practicing Christian family would be. Those in name only don't really mind because faith means nothing.

But it's also not so different for a radical liberal to see a child change to Conservative. Imagine the liberals on this forum if they had a child that joined the Tea Party or believed in lowering taxes.
Oh, I know! The liberals would be running for their buckets of tar and feathers.

Listen, I used to BE a liberal (albeit a moderate) and at one time, ALL my friends were liberals. I well know the degree of scorn, contempt, ridicule and vicious bullying they employ when they think one of their own is beginning to stray just a little bit from the party line. Slowly it dawned on me that all this "tolerance" and "celebrate diversity" drivel they relentlessly promote was all just a sham, so I left and never looked back. I reasoned if that could be a hypocritical lie, then so could many other things they stand for, and I was right.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies