Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-12-2011, 11:21 AM

45,582 posts, read 27,203,264 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by hammertime33 View Post
That's called American capitalism. Do you hate America?
Nope.

This is insurance - corporate insurance.

Capitalism involves risk. ATS is trying to remove risk - that's insurance.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-12-2011, 11:23 AM

13,693 posts, read 9,014,113 times
Why, oh Why! do conservatives so hate America?

Why do conservatives trample the Constitution underfoot?

The Angels in Heaven Above literally weep tears of sorrow over the conservatives who hate America.

Why, people, why, do conservatives hate America?

Old 05-12-2011, 11:28 AM

32,816 posts, read 19,492,759 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by legalsea View Post
Why, oh Why! do conservatives so hate America?

Why do conservatives trample the Constitution underfoot?

The Angels in Heaven Above literally weep tears of sorrow over the conservatives who hate America.

Why, people, why, do conservatives hate America?
the only hating of america seems to be coming from the progressive globalist fascists liberals

Old 05-12-2011, 12:24 PM

17,823 posts, read 23,458,697 times
I am truly grateful that nothing like this could ever happen in Alaska. The Alaskan Supreme Court ruled that only sworn law enforcement officers may issue citations. That means there is no "photo-radar" and cameras at intersections cannot be used to issue citations.

Old 05-13-2011, 08:09 AM

3,493 posts, read 4,555,015 times
I still believe safety improves with cameras. The cop example in Alaska. For that matter anywhere in the states. As far as I am can see anywhere when people are driving and see a cop on a motorcycle aiming a radar gun people do slow down. Actually in some case too abruptly. Does that bring the speed down and make it safer? I believe it does because people slow down to avoid a ticket.

Now, compare that with a camera. To begin with the cameras usually are placed in intersections where most accidents happen and people drive too fast thus making it more unsafe. It is even advertised the cameras will be there!!!!
To begin with most people know the cameras are there. So if you get a ticket well, how stupid can you be if you get one knowing it is there?
So will people tend to slow down know AHEAD OF TIME they are there? Of course, you would not be very smart to do so. If you are driving at the speed limit there is nothing to be concerned with.

I am sure someone will bring up the issue others have. Some rear end collision when people suddenly step on the brakes to avoid a camera taking a picture when the light changes to yellow. Again, it is a matter of people not keeping informed. Here the newspapers and the TV informed people about how they work. I just attended the Citizens Police Academy and one fo the courses covered traffic laws. The question came up about the cameras and we were shown the timing on them and how the work. The horror stories I hear mostly are excuses. Actually, the other day I asked at work if anybody has gotten a ticket where a camera is and ALL that said yes admitted they were speeding or ran the the red light.

I also attend an citizens advisory board that is designed to give feedback to the police department from the citizens that have questions and complaints. This advisory board is composed of volunteer citizens to present to the department any issues, complaints and abuses. They do agree the camera issue is increase safety and it is not designed to simply take money away from citizens.

The cameras are no different than having a cop instead. Actually, the camera is not biased, it just takes the pictures and records the speed. A cop is human and he may have a day he feels like giving tickets because he has a bad day or let some go and others not simply because he feels is the law. With those points in mind I rather get a ticket by a camera that has not bad days, take care.

Old 05-13-2011, 08:12 AM

20,054 posts, read 18,288,764 times
Private citizens cannot fine other citizens. Anything less is unacceptable.

Old 05-13-2011, 08:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by summers73 View Post
Private citizens cannot fine other citizens. Anything less is unacceptable.
Can you expand on that one? I am not sure if you are replying to my messsage. If so, what part that I wrote is a reply from you? I do fail how your message could apply to my message, take care.

Old 05-13-2011, 09:24 AM

17,823 posts, read 23,458,697 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elamigo View Post
The cameras are no different than having a cop instead. Actually, the camera is not biased, it just takes the pictures and records the speed. A cop is human and he may have a day he feels like giving tickets because he has a bad day or let some go and others not simply because he feels is the law. With those points in mind I rather get a ticket by a camera that has not bad days, take care.
There are two significant differences between a sworn law enforcement officer and a camera:
  1. The law enforcement officer has the ability to use discretion, a machine does not; and
  2. We all have the right to face our accuser, and we are deprived of that right when the accuser is a device, such as a camera.
You may be willing to casually toss away your rights, but I am not so willing.

Old 05-13-2011, 09:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glitch View Post
There are two significant differences between a sworn law enforcement officer and a camera:
  1. The law enforcement officer has the ability to use discretion, a machine does not; and
  2. We all have the right to face our accuser, and we are deprived of that right when the accuser is a device, such as a camera.
1. If you were speeding or crossed a red light there is not discretion, you broke the law! You want a break? Give yourself one, drive at the speed limit.

2. The accuser is a photo and the recorded speed. What else you want to argue? Now, if you can prove the camera is wrong, prove it just as you can argue a cop was wrong. Actually, the camera will not argue. All you have to do is prove the camera wrong.

What right is tossed? Explain that one to me. If you want to argue a privacy right as others have it does not fly with me. It is a public road. What else? Expand on that one. However, again, if you are not speeding and not run a red light, no worries. I am not worried at all because I do not speed and I am careful not to run a light, take care.

Old 05-13-2011, 10:05 AM

4,272 posts, read 3,789,104 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glitch View Post
The accuser is the government of jurisdiction. The photograph from the camera is its evidence.

There is no trampling of rights. If your vehicle is on a public right of way, you are expected to obey the traffic laws set by the public while on that right of way. Being conscious of the presence of traffic cameras may (may not) prevent you from trampling on the expectations of other drivers that you obey the law!

If you received a ticket in the mail with photographic evidence from a red light camera, you did something to trigger that camera. If you don't think so, then you have every right to appeal the charges.

Last edited by geofra; 05-13-2011 at 10:22 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies