Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-16-2011, 10:35 AM

3,493 posts, read 4,555,015 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by texdav View Post
You can look at campaign funds overall to see not only companies;but groups have given much more in campaign funds.Its legal.Tis sounds more like someone who got a tcket and is mad because they got caught.personally I thnik it frees cops up for other more important things and have seen the numbers here at intersections showing less wreck which is where they were located because of the accident numbers.Don't run redlight and you have no problem with them.
Another good point. The more cops free to drive around and catch criminals the better.

I just finished attending the local Citizens Police Academy and part of the program was to ride with a police officer for 6 hours. In our city the department is understrength so they rather work in areas where crime can be prevented so cameras are another aid.

I do agree with your that some people are just sore they got caught speeding and did not like so the thing to do is to get back at the system that got them, take care.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-16-2011, 07:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boompa View Post
Red Light cameras are always for profit. Once installed the company will complain that there are not enough violations to pay for the camera. Then the politicians make tthe yellow cycle shorter making it impossible to safely stop before the light turns red. That will make the intersection more unsafe than it was before the camera was installed but it is a money maker
Are those comments based on sources of possible personal conclusions?

However, let us say that is the case. If there are not camears let me use the same conspiracy theory mentality you exposed. I can say that police supervisors can tell cops to make sure they bring tickets at the end of the shift also. Maybe city hall is putting pressure on the police department in some ways so more tickets mean more city revenues. Sure, not profits for camera companies but for the city so in the end what is the difference?

Also, the company will complain? So what? the city is the one that sets the standard. I go back again, do you have sources to support your assumption? Take care.

Old 05-16-2011, 09:05 PM

17,005 posts, read 12,597,924 times
LOL love the debate about whether the cameras cause or help accidents when the real puprose is to make money for the cities.

Accidents is not relevant.

Old 05-17-2011, 08:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ottomobeale View Post
LOL love the debate about whether the cameras cause or help accidents when the real puprose is to make money for the cities.

Accidents is not relevant.
Again, another comment with no other source other than a personal comment on others.
Some of us at least provided local experiences. What I will give you is that I do agree some people may use the safety excuse to put cameras. That will always exist in the political world but to stereotype is also the problem as in this case.

The real purpose in the end is irrelavant to some degree. I see the end result. As I stated before some of us have seen the results in our towns. Did our elected leaders did it for money raising revenues for the city? Probably yes. However, did it make those intersections safer in those of us that responded? Yes.

So if you want to get stuck in conspiracy theories, sometimes true, go ahead. The point is that they can make traffic safer. In the end the intent does not matter if I know it saved some lives out there, take care.

Old 05-17-2011, 04:09 PM

45,423 posts, read 60,608,674 times
Having thrown in earlier I want to say that I have no issue with red-light cameras. I do, however, have issues with speed cameras which MD recently authorized for use in municipalities. The law is written so these can be placed in school and work zones.

The State and Counties, on the other hand, can place them anywhere.

Being an elected official who has discussed the placement (we haven't placed any) of these cameras I have to say that whenever potential revenue has been mentioned the Treasurer has a very simple statement in reply, "You don't balance the budget with fines and permits".

Old 05-17-2011, 04:12 PM

45,232 posts, read 26,457,645 times
The only good place for a camera is a politicians office.

Old 05-17-2011, 04:29 PM

29,981 posts, read 42,944,845 times
This red light scam takes place in every state that has them. Check your own state if you don't believe me.

Old 05-17-2011, 04:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lifelongMOgal View Post
This red light scam takes place in every state that has them. Check your own state if you don't believe me.
And let your small town hood...er uh representative know how you feel about them.
Many have been taken down due to pressure from the taxpayers.

Old 05-17-2011, 04:45 PM

24,868 posts, read 24,396,474 times
Red light cameras are fine, IMO. The speeding cameras, those I dislike.

Old 05-17-2011, 05:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Memphis1979 View Post
Red light cameras are fine, IMO. The speeding cameras, those I dislike.
Once you allow one, you open the door to the other.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies