Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-13-2011, 01:57 PM

6,734 posts, read 9,343,835 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by whatyousay View Post
Yeah, and those metropolitan areas are also rife with people sucking off the government teet ala welfare, food stamps, section 8, medicaid...
It took you only three minutes to change the subject
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-13-2011, 01:59 PM

6,454 posts, read 7,012,497 times
Colleges are overwhelmingly "liberal" so it would only lead one to logically believe that college graduates tend to be liberal themselves.

Old 05-13-2011, 02:08 PM

4,696 posts, read 5,824,752 times
The two education extremes...Those with post graduate degees and those who didn't graduate high school are most likely to vote Democrat.

Old 05-13-2011, 02:18 PM

38,643 posts, read 26,389,506 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by knowledgeiskey View Post
If you look at metropolitan areas that have high percentages of people who hold a college degree, you will see that these regions are liberal.

That's quite a leap.

The implied assertion is that the same people who are well educated are also the same people who are liberal because people in the area tend to be liberal and tend to be well educated.

This subject has been done to death on this forum, so I won't bother to modify my now routine answer which is in response to the assertion that red states have poorly educated populations.

The problem is identifying a significant population within red states who are poorly educated and also vote Republican.

Moderator cut: link removed, linking to competitor sites is not allowed

We see from the link that the best educated states are predictably those in the East, but we run into a problem when we examine the worst. With the exception of Mississippi, the worst of the worst are in the south-west. True blue California hasn't voted Republican in decades, yet there they are along with purple New Mexico, Arizona and Nevada.

Maybe a better question to ask is what does the red south have in common with these purple and blue south-western states. We could also ask what the blue north-east does not have in common with southern and south-western states.

http://nces.ed.gov/fastfacts/display.asp?id=72

Moderator cut: link removed, linking to competitor sites is not allowed

The answer appears to be a lower concentration of whites and Asians who are shown to graduate college at a higher rate than blacks and Hispanics. Furthermore, whites vote for Republicans more so than non-whites making the implied connection between low education level achieved and conservative voting patterns erroneous.

Last edited by Yac; 07-14-2011 at 06:45 AM..

Old 05-13-2011, 02:23 PM

The poor and uneducated overwhelmingly vote Democrat in both blue and red states. The difference is that the middle class and affluent in red states vote Republican in red states and Democrat in blue states.

Old 05-13-2011, 02:24 PM

5,019 posts, read 14,117,403 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cap1717 View Post
I think that is not so much that liberals are more educated, but rather that those who are well educated tend to be more liberal in their thinking. . . . .a subtle but important difference.
Excellent observation.

I notice that my highly-educated friends who identify as "conservative" or "Republican" tend to fit the old-school fiscal conservative model. Socially, they tend to run from moderate to downright hedonistic.

Old 05-13-2011, 02:31 PM

One thing to keep in mind is that the poor and uneducated tend to be fiscally liberal (because they love their handouts) and socially conservative. To the horror of educated liberals, many Obama voters in California, minorities in particular, voted against gay marriage. The high Obama turnout actually hurt the gay marriage cause. Oh what delicious irony, especially since many rich liberals claim they love and care about the poor (as they stay far away from them in their gated communities).

Old 05-13-2011, 04:31 PM

6,369 posts, read 6,411,323 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mhouse2001 View Post
I do concede that there are many people who've achieved success without a formal education, but since when is business success or the acquisition of wealth a sign of intelligence? And I also concede that people with educations can still make ridiculous mistakes. But the facts are that liberal people are better educated. It also is logical. Conservatives are generally not open to new ideas or change, hence, why would they bother to acquire knowledge?
Given the wide variety of talents required to navigate the tax and regulatory complications of most kinds of businesses, business success evidenced by the accumulation of wealth is an obvious indicator of intelligence. Especially when you consider that most businesses, in order to survive and prosper, must figure out how to deliver more value per dollar than a wide variety of competitors who are trying to do the same thing. Since people are free to shop anywhere, and vote with their dollars, this is about as objective a measure as there is.

You can probably prove that liberals have more schooling. You cannot prove that liberals are more intelligent.

Old 05-13-2011, 04:38 PM

31,290 posts, read 20,749,540 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by knowledgeiskey View Post
Not really.

Red states are poorer and leech off of rich states that happen to be blue.

You are taking the red state / blue state thing way beyond what should be concluded. There are dumb people and smart people and rich people and poor people in every party and every state.

Red states don't "Leech off blue states." The whole state does not act as one. They leech as individuals.

Old 05-13-2011, 04:41 PM

10,719 posts, read 20,302,693 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NY Jew View Post
and after they start to practice medicine many change I wonder why
give me a poll that shows a doctor after 5 years on the job who understands all that is wrong with the medical system. Polls from a medical school only show what someone who has no experience thinks how about those who practices medicine enough to see through the liberal propaganda. Many doctor's here were amongst the only people who donated money to Republican candidates.
I think this applies to many educated people. In college, people are idealistic and haven't faced life's realities so they tend to be liberal and vote Democrat. When they get their business, law and medical degrees and they begin to practice, they realize, they see the nonsense and become more conservative. Doctors see the large number of people on Medicaid who abuse the system and are narcotic abusers. Business and Law professionals see the large amount of taxes they pay that goes toward nothing. People begin to realize the value of having a family whereas they didn't really understand that when they were young and single. I don't think people become extremist conservative but I think most educated people become moderate to slight right leaning.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies