Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-16-2011, 10:02 AM

4,991 posts, read 4,512,201 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by florida.bob View Post
oh no, the paul's won't be able to go out to eat anywhere!
lmao!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-16-2011, 10:02 AM

32,835 posts, read 19,528,235 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Calvinist View Post
Neither the flat earth or earth as the center of the universe are Biblical concepts though.

Every instance of the word "day" in the context means a set period of time...either a day...perhaps longer--but nowhere near 1000 years, or millions of years.

The text just doesn't support it. You either believe the text or you don't.

Quote:
Neither the flat earth or earth as the center of the universe are Biblical concepts though.
ddint say they were of the bible..but of how man THOUGHT or perseved things

Quote:
Every instance of the word "day" in the context means a set period of time...either a day...perhaps longer--but nowhere near 1000 years, or millions of years.
every instance of the word day to MAN is around 24 hours of an era

"back in my day"...would mean what???...not 24 hours..but an ERA of that MAN

so what is a DAY to god....

man can NOT answer that...but I would think its not 24 hours, or a life span of a haman..but a period to GOD... very well could be trillions of MAN'S years

Old 05-16-2011, 10:07 AM

48,502 posts, read 96,964,372 times
Theories come and go with time as we often have seen.This is ne of the latest theories really;nothing more.

Old 05-16-2011, 10:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by workingclasshero View Post

ddint say they were of the bible..but of how man THOUGHT or perseved things

every instance of the word day to MAN is around 24 hours of an era

"back in my day"...would mean what???...not 24 hours..but an ERA of that MAN

so what is a DAY to god....

man can NOT answer that...but I would think its not 24 hours, or a life span of a haman..but a period to GOD... very well could be trillions of MAN'S years
Why is god so ineffective with what he's trying to say? Why leave it to man to interpret. If it's just mans interpretation, why pay any attention to it or attribute it any validity? The bible's sort of like a book of fortunes from fortune cookies or a long horoscope. They're all purposefully vague as to be disprovable. The answers/interpretations change based on who's reading it and what their agenda is.

Old 05-16-2011, 10:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by texdav View Post
Theories come and go with time as we often have seen.This is ne of the latest theories really;nothing more.
Actually scientific theories are based on facts. The mapping of the human genome and DNA have solidified this as fact. The word theory is commonly used as a guess but a scientific theory is used to explain observable facts.

Old 05-16-2011, 10:17 AM

6,484 posts, read 6,625,524 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluefly View Post
I appreciate your honesty, but wouldn't the only logical conclusion to a question about how old humanity or the earth is be "I don't know" if you have minimal understanding of the science underlying the claim of the earth's 4.5 billion year history?

Using your logic, wouldn't the question of God existing be a solid "yes" from you considering I apparently know more about theology than you? We all make judgments daily regarding subjects that we are not experts in.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frozenyo View Post
Can you define "creator".
The personality that caused the universe to exist. I believe in a personal creator--meaning an actual intelligent being--rather than a non-personal creator.

Quote:
Originally Posted by EinsteinsGhost View Post
To have a philosophical debate, you must have a position on the subject. If you claim no position, then you're not open to debate but only want to propagate your limited set of beliefs.
Then I would suggest we probably aren't able to have a decent debate regarding life elsewhere in the universe.
Quote:

Now, that belief points at a key element in your post... creator. So I will take it from there instead of the original premise. It is one thing to believe in a creator, and another to claim that you know much about the creator to speak with authority on the subject. So, what leads you to believe that the idea of creator you have is the right one?
I believe that if such a creator exists, then he would want his creation to know him. I believe the Bible is his message to the world. By reading it we can know God.

Old 05-16-2011, 10:24 AM

31,767 posts, read 28,857,932 times
Quote:
Then I would suggest we probably aren't able to have a decent debate regarding life elsewhere in the universe.

I believe that if such a creator exists, then he would want his creation to know him. I believe the Bible is his message to the world. By reading it we can know God.
Actually, you can have a philosophical debate on possibility of alien life, without engaging in the intricacies presented with science. I do not see a reason for a creator to stop with earth, and to have someone document the creation thousands of years later in a multitude of, sometimes, conflicting ways. Going with your premise, Hindus, for example, were presented with a version that involves life from a premordial soup in its various forms. Christians, Muslims and Jews have the Adam and Eve story to go by.

Besides, for something to have created something as elaborate as the universe (or multiverse), to be incapable of presenting "facts" in a singular way, with consistency and without holes, and no proof sounds a bit strange. No? For example, the Judeo-Christian-Islam creation story tells us about Adam and Eve's son going to a nearby village to get married. Who or what created those people and why is it not documented if the idea was to make it all available for sake of knowledge?

Old 05-16-2011, 10:27 AM

6,484 posts, read 6,625,524 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EinsteinsGhost View Post
Actually, you can have a philosophical debate on possibility of alien life, without engaging in the intricacies presented with science. I do not see a reason for a creator to stop with earth, and to have someone document the creation thousands of years later in a multitude of, sometimes, conflicting ways. Going with your premise, Hindus, for example, were presented with a version that involves life from a premordial soup in its various forms. Christians, Muslims and Jews have the Adam and Eve story to go by.

Besides, for something to have created something as elaborate as the universe (or multiverse), to be incapable of presenting "facts" in a singular way, with consistency and without holes, and no proof sounds a bit strange. No? For example, the Judeo-Christian-Islam creation story tells us about Adam and Eve's son going to a nearby village to get married. Who or what created those people and why is it not documented if the idea was to make it all available for sake of knowledge?
If you're referring to Cain taking a wife and leaving, I don't see a problem. Genesis does not state that Adam, Eve, Cain and Abel were the only living people. The clear implication is that Cain married a sister.

Old 05-16-2011, 10:28 AM

11,155 posts, read 15,722,932 times
Quote:
Using your logic, wouldn't the question of God existing be a solid "yes" from you considering I apparently know more about theology than you? We all make judgments daily regarding subjects that we are not experts in.
No, because theology is belief (look how many times you use that word without providing any substantiating evidence), whereas science provides a foundation to confirm or refute. You made a claim about science but then admitted you have almost no understanding of that science.

You've also attached to the Bible as the one belief that's true, but ignore the thousands of other creation myths that have existed throughout history in written and oral form. So, when you speak of theology, you're far from an expert unless you understand every one of those spiritual traditions.

As it is, you're just promoting one belief system out of thousands and arbitrarily attributing a greater value to it than actually exists in relation to other creation myths.

Old 05-16-2011, 10:29 AM

31,767 posts, read 28,857,932 times
Quote:
If you're referring to Cain taking a wife and leaving, I don't see a problem. Genesis does not state that Adam, Eve, Cain and Abel were the only living people.
Actually, it cannot, considering it is Genesis that has this discover-as-you-go village, and yet mentions Adam and Eve as the first humans? What is the significance of Adam/Eve story in Genesis?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies