Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-11-2011, 01:00 PM

23,838 posts, read 23,138,171 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucario View Post
So now you're clairvoyant? You know how much I read? Sir....and I use that term hopefully....as someone who is a black person with a name, and who has named three actual black people, rest assured that I know a helluva lot more about this subject than you do. I have forgotten more reading material than you have perused. Actually, that I have attributed this phenomenon to the biases held by certain individuals hits the central issue behind the "direct correlation to success." I.e., if a black person has a name that is "acceptable" to white people, chances are he or she will be more "successful" than the one whose name is not acceptable to white people.

As I have said, myopia. See what I mean?
"...forgotten more reading material than you have perused."

Conversation over. You obviously forgot the study on names that you have purportedly read also. It's far deeper than race. It's actually has more to do with self-identification.

Done. No sense in wasting my time with you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-11-2011, 01:01 PM

31,387 posts, read 37,070,009 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GregW View Post
Please remember I am one of the very leftist liberals around here and I think this sentence was totally unjustified. It was not a cold blooded premeditated murder. It was a killing done in a rage. Rage can eliminate anything but the overwhelming need to kill the thing or person that triggered the rage.
That idea won't float in any jurisdiction. Outside of contract killers and total sociopaths who does not kill in a fit of rage? This is why the level of one's rage is irrelevant in determining pre-meditation. In light of the fact that the alternative sentences of life without parole or death, a sentence of life with the possibility of parole

Old 07-11-2011, 01:05 PM

37,803 posts, read 41,036,241 times
I don't know. Neither the gun toting thief or the pharmacist were apparently as telegenic as Casey Anthony or as well-known as OJ Simpson or as handsome as Scott Peterson to have the media cover the trial 24/7 so we could hear the evidence for ourselves.

Old 07-11-2011, 01:09 PM

24,645 posts, read 38,667,124 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stan4 View Post
I was referencing a post that someone made that said the kids don't deserve to be singled out for their name. Of course they don't.

And as a person of 'ethnicity' whose name is quite unique HERE (but is actually a real name in the culture from which my parents came), I can tell you that there IS a difference in coming from another country with a name from that country and living for centuries in this one and purposely making up names...just as my name marked me as a child of immigrants, those black names mark those kids...
Believe me, from living in a neighborhood that is predominantly made up of people of your ethnicity, I understand where you are coming from. That's why my kids got names from similar origins.

As for the made-up names, I am of conflicted mind. I think some of them are idiotic, frankly. But I also understand that made-up names come from made-up cultures. Black folks are still creating a culture, because we weren't able to maintain the one(s) we brought here a couple of hundred years ago (which in historical terms is still very recent).

Quote:
The question is whether or not your particular culture is revered or an object of disdain.
That I have no control over. But I do consider some of the disdain to be unfounded, and I do not wish to be an object of said disdain, because I did nothing to bring it on.

Quote:
Not saying there is anything right or wrong about coming to various conclusions based on a name.

I don't care what someone's name is. I only care about their character and contributions to society.
That's how it should be.

Old 07-11-2011, 01:09 PM

25,947 posts, read 24,759,378 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AeroGuyDC View Post

Conversation over. You obviously forgot the study on names that you have purportedly read also. It's far deeper than race. It's actually has more to do with self-identification.

But that self-identification does come from society. It is not that names as such have any meaning to most people, most don't even know of the original meanings of those words. But it is indeed the way one gets treated from childhood on. For instance in the German study it says that teachers favor kids with certain names of others, which is in turn based on certain stereotypes. It is kind of a vicious circle.
In Korea they have started calling their kids Hitler, Coke, Siemens, etc. as there are too many Kims. You could name your kid Crap and it would be no problem if nobody knew what crap means.

I read somewhere that a few decades ago there were many blacks who changed their last names from Johnson, Jackson etc. into Jewish-sounding names with -baum or -stein at the end, as that promised more success when applying for jobs etc.

Old 07-11-2011, 01:10 PM

24,645 posts, read 38,667,124 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AeroGuyDC View Post

Aloha.

Old 07-11-2011, 01:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LauraC View Post
I don't know. Neither the gun toting thief or the pharmacist were apparently as telegenic as Casey Anthony or as well-known as OJ Simpson or as handsome as Scott Peterson to have the media cover the trial 24/7 so we could hear the evidence for ourselves.
Ya think this is complex a case as any cited above? I think not.

PS - so much for the fit of rage argument.

YouTube - ‪Raw Video: Pharmacist Kills Would-be Teen Robber‬‏

Old 07-11-2011, 01:26 PM

1,777 posts, read 1,404,150 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ovcatto View Post
Ya think this is complex a case as any cited above? I think not.

PS - so much for the fit of rage argument.
Wow, he just waddled back in there calmly before getting another gun. However, I think you could argue that the time that elapsed was no more than about 30 seconds. Most places would still consider that to be pretty immediate, before you have a real opportunity to cool down from something like that. The pharmacist could have easily pleaded to voluntary manslaughter.

Old 07-11-2011, 01:29 PM

23,838 posts, read 23,138,171 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Neuling View Post
But that self-identification does come from society. It is not that names as such have any meaning to most people, most don't even know of the original meanings of those words. But it is indeed the way one gets treated from childhood on. For instance in the German study it says that teachers favor kids with certain names of others, which is in turn based on certain stereotypes. It is kind of a vicious circle.
In Korea they have sttarted calling their kids Hitler, Coke, Siemens, etc. as there are too many Kims. You could name your kid Crap and it would be no problem if nobody knew what crap means.

I read somewhere that a few decades ago there were many blacks who changed their last names from Johnson, Jackson etc. into Jewish-sounding names with -baum or -stein at the end, as that promised more success when applying for jobs etc.
Valid points, but it doesn't solely hinge on stereotypes. For example, a study of Human Resources departments determined that job applicants (of any race or ethnicity) with names hard to pronounce were routinely overlooked for positions they were otherwise qualified for. The reason? Human nature....the person making the phone call feared mispronouncing the name and thus casting a bad image on the company. Simple huh? And nothing to do with race.

People like Lucario believe it's a racist issue that is matched up with the Big Bad White Machine. That's how I know he hasn't read the studies that he claims to have read "extensively." The issue is far deeper than race, stereotypes, and even culture.

It just so happens that Black American's have a propensity to name their children in ways that are not necessarily beneficial to those children. I pointed that out, and all of a sudden it's a "racial" thing that obviously struck a nerve with him. That ignorance of the topic is exactly why I refuse to conversate with him any further on this issue.

Old 07-11-2011, 01:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bc42gb43 View Post
Wow, he just waddled back in there calmly before getting another gun. However, I think you could argue that the time that elapsed was no more than about 30 seconds. Most places would still consider that to be pretty immediate, before you have a real opportunity to cool down from something like that. The pharmacist could have easily pleaded to voluntary manslaughter.
Not to be a legalist fundamentalist, but a defendant doesn't plead anything other than guilty or not guilty. It is true that the defense could have argued that it was a case of voluntary manslaughter, and depending on the judge's instructions to the jury could have made that possible. Apparently, no one was buying that argument, and frankly even as a gun owner who believes in the right of using deadly force to eliminate an eminent threat, I wouldn't have bought the argument either.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies