Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-05-2011, 05:40 AM

31,290 posts, read 20,744,889 times

Advertisements

[quote=Annie53;19449994]
Quote:

One of the arguments given against it? The places that could allow smoking would have an unfair advantage. The people arguing FOR the bans insisted that there needed to be a "level playing field".

This is called politically correct irony.

Somebody once said politically correct is thinking you can pick up a turd by the clean end.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-05-2011, 05:42 AM

31,290 posts, read 20,744,889 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gizmo980 View Post
Exactly!! I guess you can't please everyone, huh? As I said, this country has been overrun by whiny babies.

For the record, I thought that Happy Meal thing was BS too... let 'em eat what they want, just don't complain later when your child becomes obese.

I seriously doubt the big government nanny city of San Fran will save one child from becoming obese with the anti toy law.

Old 06-05-2011, 06:13 AM

3,219 posts, read 7,083,002 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tickyul View Post
Yes, all of the smokers take over the patio areas at just about any coffee shop with one. Malls, yes I hate going to outdoor malls, I hate breathing the filth of craven addicts.
Filth of craven addicts? You said you "don't hate smokers" but wow, listen to the verbiage in your posts.

Old 06-05-2011, 06:28 AM

3,863 posts, read 6,297,532 times
I often wonder if our university just let them smoke in the bathrooms, maybe there wouldn't be butts all over the campus grounds. Disposal cans are provided, but it doesn't seem to matter.

Old 06-05-2011, 08:00 AM

9,394 posts, read 15,694,356 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gizmo980 View Post
It would be nice if they actually provided public ashtrays, like they used to before the "smoking Nazis" took over this country... particularly here in California, where you'd be hard-pressed to find ANY ashtrays anywhere. It's illegal to throw a fresh cigarette into a trash can, so what do you expect? I personally try to avoid littering if at all possible, so I'll usually just stomp it out & put it back in the pack to dispose of later. But yeah, the littering would improve if they'd give us back our darned ashtrays. Of course, that would only help with the cigarette litter, and wouldn't do much about the other crap people throw on the ground. I see more garbage than butts around here, so I'm not buying that it's the "most common form of litter."

P.S. I rarely even smoke outside of my car & home, since people here are so obnoxious about it. It's still legal (like it or not), I'm 34 years old, and yet I feel like a criminal every time I smoke in public - you'd think I was lighting a crack pipe, for goodness sakes.
A liberal would sooner give you an earful for smoking in public than for drinking in public. Hell, they'd probably sooner give you an earful for dropping a cigarette butt out of your car (as certain ultra-leftists on this thread have shown) than if they saw you knocking back a few Buds in your car.

Bill Hicks' opinion on smoking should basically be law.

Old 06-05-2011, 01:07 PM

19,893 posts, read 18,447,268 times
i will not judge anyone for smoking, but think it is a nasty dirty habit. Not all smokers but i have seen and witnessed smokers, who clearly do not think of those who are around them. They just puff puff puff. I hate it when they are done smoking, and when they do this in a car while driving, bugs the hell out of me, just thrown the cigarette out while still being lit.

Not all smokers do this, but there are some that don't care about the consequences, of their bad habit. It is their right, but in doing so should have at least respect those who are around them that do not smoke.

Old 06-05-2011, 03:19 PM

22,662 posts, read 24,605,343 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cruxan View Post
what if i wanted to open a bar that only catered to smokers, with a big sign at the front entrance that says "non smokers enter at your own risk smokers present"
I guess you did not read the whole of my last post. I said that businesses should be allowed to permit smoking.

Fact is smokers are 19 percent of the population, a business that allows smoking on its premises would lose my business and many others.

Old 06-05-2011, 03:20 PM

3,502 posts, read 9,607,287 times
I see police officers flick cigarette butts out of their cruisers.

Old 06-05-2011, 03:37 PM

13,621 posts, read 12,733,455 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tickyul View Post
I guess you did not read the whole of my last post. I said that businesses should be allowed to permit smoking.

Fact is smokers are 19 percent of the population, a business that allows smoking on its premises would lose my business and many others.

i agree, but take this for an example, there's a beach bar here that has 80 percent of it's patrons are smokers..

people should have that right to open a bar that caters to smokers.. i would guarantee if one could legally open a bar in a big city that catered to smokers they would make a killing.

smokers will go to a bar that alows smoking vs a bar that does not.. in a big city 19 percent is a large population. by making it illegal all around is an infringment on freedom..

these laws will hurt tourism for many places..

Old 06-05-2011, 03:46 PM

29,939 posts, read 39,468,904 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cruxan View Post
i agree, but take this for an example, there's a beach bar here that has 80 percent of it's patrons are smokers..

people should have that right to open a bar that caters to smokers.. i would guarantee if one could legally open a bar in a big city that catered to smokers they would make a killing.

smokers will go to a bar that alows smoking vs a bar that does not.. in a big city 19 percent is a large population. by making it illegal all around is an infringment on freedom..

these laws will hurt tourism for many places..
But the pushers of the legislation argued that would create an unfair advantage for establishments that still allowed smoking so the only would be to ban it everywhere.

They were trying to be fair, that's all.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies