Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-13-2011, 07:46 PM

31,292 posts, read 20,753,051 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nomander View Post
No need, they pay for their own indiscretion. If they commit the crime, the due the time. That is, if they feel free to litter, they pay the fines and collect other peoples trash who we were unable to find. No more, no less.

Killing someone for such an action does not serve any purpose.

It serves the same purpose as ridiculously high fines.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-13-2011, 07:47 PM

22,665 posts, read 24,614,838 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nomander View Post
All depends on where you go. Some places are cleaner than others, why that is though... can be many many factors.

I disagree. Like I said, there is no incentive for people to care about others littering. The "reward" aspect for catching someone in the act actually does work (in a small environment at least). I stayed in one apartment place once that was having issues with people not cleaning up after their dogs even though there were tons of disposal stations around the property. They raised the fines from 25 to 50, and finally up to around 200 bucks and yet, people still did it. Then they said that anyone who provided information and evidence of another doing this, would as a reward get half the fine.

After that, it stopped very fast and people picked up after their dogs. When you can make a quick 100 bucks by taking a quick picture of someone not cleaning up after their dog, it became beneficial for people to take interest.

Now certainly I am not saying this would be the solution, but... it is worth a try.

Well the key word is enforcement. Your scenario may work on a small scale. Problem is, there is no way most large cities could provide a level of enforcement that would deter most people from littering. There are all sorts of laws on the books about littering, very rarely enforced.

Old 06-13-2011, 07:48 PM

31,292 posts, read 20,753,051 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigJon3475 View Post
Self regulating is the only way.

You should see how quickly people will pick up dog pooh when a reward program is implemented. The difference happened almost overnight.

Simple solution:

$50 for littering or allowing your dog to poop and not pick it up.
$50 to the person reporting them.

You should see the people walking their dogs now looking at the 1,000 of windows wondering who is watching them.
You may like a snitch neighborhood, but I would prefer a little trash rather than having neighbors watching and snitching.

Old 06-13-2011, 07:49 PM

22,665 posts, read 24,614,838 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by claudhopper View Post
My neighbors never can close the lid, their trash is spilling out every week. Who can I report them to - I want those disgusting people to pay twice what us more considerate neighbors pay. It's a filthy habit, how dare they. It encourages rodents, and cockroaches, and all kinds of dirty filthy creatures of the night. Nobody is safe! There ought to be a law!
Great point......but, you know just as well as me.....laws are only good if they are enforced.

Old 06-13-2011, 07:58 PM

1,081 posts, read 916,534 times
The MOST COMMON FORM OF TRASH I encounter is useless noise from liberals.
And former smokers.

Old 06-13-2011, 09:54 PM

13,053 posts, read 12,957,213 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by claudhopper View Post
My neighbors never can close the lid, their trash is spilling out every week. Who can I report them to - I want those disgusting people to pay twice what us more considerate neighbors pay. It's a filthy habit, how dare they. It encourages rodents, and cockroaches, and all kinds of dirty filthy creatures of the night. Nobody is safe! There ought to be a law!
The issue is public property littering. If someone wants to throw trash on their own property, well... its their own business, not yours or mine.

Old 06-13-2011, 09:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roadking2003 View Post
It serves the same purpose as ridiculously high fines.
I understand your attempt to get a point across as it being "too severe", yet your example is not even in the ballpark of such. The fines are already "ridiculous" as it is. You can get a 1k fine in some places for throwing a gum wrapper on the ground. I am merely suggesting the fine be put up to levels where someone would have to be completely stupid to even think of such. Though to be honest, if they simply split the fine with the person who reported it even for the fines now, I wager more would be caught.

Old 06-13-2011, 10:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tickyul View Post
Well the key word is enforcement. Your scenario may work on a small scale. Problem is, there is no way most large cities could provide a level of enforcement that would deter most people from littering. There are all sorts of laws on the books about littering, very rarely enforced.
They are rarely enforced because they are more trouble than they are worth and the fact that most people aren't stupid enough to litter right in front of an officer, though they do it all the time in front of other people. People do not report people because it is far more of a time waster for them to do so. Even if the fine were only 1000 dollars, you would catch a lot of offenders if 1/2 of that fine was distributed to the one who reported them. I would certainly take the time out of my day to make 500 dollars off reporting some idiot who was dumping their trash on the ground.

Now it may work, it may not, though I would bet it would be more successful. Besides, my suggestions specifically target those who are doing the littering and has no effect on any but those who do such. Your suggestions are blanket resolutions that simply proclaim everyone guilty and force everyone to pay regardless if they litter or not.

Old 06-13-2011, 10:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tickyul View Post
Great point......but, you know just as well as me.....laws are only good if they are enforced.
He is missing the issue though.

Private property is not our responsibility. If one likes trash sitting around, then that's their business.

He quoted me talking about an apartment place. Again, this is private property, however the property owner may put a policy as such to the lease holders and in my example, this was the case.

Public property, now that is a different issue as the responsibility of its condition is the city/state which ultimately rests on the tax payers as we pay for the clean up of such if it becomes an issue. So, when another litters, it basically ends up costing everyone money out of their pocket to deal with such. At this point, we can object and demand that those who are costing us money are dealt with.

Now in the example of the OP, it appears he is complaining about how another keeps their private property and that is outside of his control and honestly none of his business unless he can show directly that this is causing him issues which makes it a civil case between parties.

If he is so concerned about such, he already has all of the power to remedy the issue. That is, he will need to document the trash on the property, show that it is increasing insect and other issues past a reasonable occurrence and then show how it is directly effecting him. At that point, he can then demand action of the neighbor to change the conditions so he no longer has an effect on those surrounding him. The power is in his hands and if the position is "reasonable", something can be done. Is it a reasonable case though or is the issue simply one neighbor whining about the other because they dislike the way they keep their property?

This is why these stupid blanket laws are so offensive. They are impulsive, poorly thought out, individually motivated, and often founded on exaggerated claims of the problem.

Old 06-13-2011, 10:25 PM

9,394 posts, read 15,697,329 times
how about paying people to report real crimes?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies