Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-13-2011, 01:25 AM

12,770 posts, read 11,570,059 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BirchBarlow View Post
Judging from the responses in my last two threads I say yes, it is liberals who are truly greedy and selfish. Liberals call me greedy and selfish for wanting to keep the spoils of my labor, yet they have no problem going to the polls and voting themselves other people's money. Yet I'm greedy for not wanting to surrender more of my liberty and property for redistribution? Not to mention how they ridicule working class people who don't vote in lock step with the Communist left. They say if you make less than $250,000 a year and you don't vote Communist you have Stockholm Syndrome. Really? So if I'm a blue-collar working class person and I have a work ethic and earn my money by providing someone with a service, that being my labor, rather than vote myself other people's money, I have a psychiatric disorder? It just goes to show you who the truly greedy are. Not surprising that it's the same camp of people who see nothing wrong with a sitting Congressmen sending pictures of his private parts to women on the internet. Very telling. Discuss.
It's called class envy. The useful idiots think your money will be spread around to help them, but instead it goes into the pockets of our elite ruling class and their cronies. The left are more beholden to the giant corporations than the right. The agenda is to divide us, squeeze out the middle class, and overload the system with dependents.
If my phone bill is 100$ but 50 of that is taken for my neighbor because he can't afford his phone........how is that fair? The neighbor should just do without, seek out family or a charity, or have the incentive to work for what he wants. His problem is not mine. I earned it, I paid taxes on it, and I should be able to spend it, as I see fit.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-13-2011, 01:47 AM

6,137 posts, read 4,863,777 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheDirector View Post
The Right wants a strong military, roads, schools, police, fire, social security/medicare, clean streets, clean air, clean water. BUT NO TAXES!
What the hell are you talking about? The right wants us to live within our means and not be wasteful. Nobody said we should have zero taxes.

Old 06-13-2011, 02:03 AM

24,511 posts, read 33,325,190 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SamBarrow View Post
What the hell are you talking about? The right wants us to live within our means and not be wasteful. Nobody said we should have zero taxes.
Exactly. The right want a reasonable and fair tax rate.

Old 06-13-2011, 04:36 AM

19,890 posts, read 18,760,703 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hilgi View Post
If it makes you feel better to feel that way, have at it. I am sure it is difficult to have your world view shaken by quotes and facts.
Please point out where Jefferson believed that private property owners needed to compensate the government for the privilege of owning their property. The simple fact is you can't because he didn't.

Old 06-13-2011, 08:56 AM

8,182 posts, read 9,217,313 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by InformedConsent View Post
So you admit that Turner earned everything above and beyond the small amount he inherited. He earned the amount required to qualify him as one of the Richest 400 Americans.

Given the value of the small business he inherited (~$1 million), and his current net worth (~$2 billion), Turner did not inherit the bulk of his wealth; he earned 99.95% of it.
He made a lot of it by buying that that was surrounded by government owned land driving up the value.

Quote:
Originally Posted by shorebaby View Post
Please point out where Jefferson believed that private property owners needed to compensate the government for the privilege of owning their property. The simple fact is you can't because he didn't.
Again, you are confusing private property (movable property created or purchased) with non-renewable property where the government controls the "creation" and disposition of property. I am not talking about property created by man.

Another means of silently lessening the inequality of [landed] property is to exempt all from taxation below a certain point, and to tax the higher portions or property in geometrical progression as they rise. -Thomas Jefferson

Old 06-13-2011, 08:57 AM

31,767 posts, read 28,830,565 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BirchBarlow View Post
All the more reason for flat tax system...
So your problem is with the rich not paying their taxes?

Old 06-13-2011, 09:01 AM

17,401 posts, read 11,982,916 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hotair2 View Post
The poor have no money with which to pay. It is a stupid question.
Yes they do. They have cell phones, get their nails done, smoke cigarettes and drink alcohol. They just choose to play the victim rather than pay their fair share.

Old 06-13-2011, 09:04 AM

17,401 posts, read 11,982,916 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hotair2 View Post
Like I said we are not going to agree on this. He did an extraordinarily good job with his inheritance; however, he would not have been able to do, if not for the inheritance.

Have to go to work in the morning. Good night.
How do know he wouldn't have been successful without his inheritance. You have no way of knowing that. He's driven and smart. He would have been a success regardless.

But I know that goes against the liberal myth that success only comes to the lucky.

Old 06-13-2011, 09:08 AM

31,767 posts, read 28,830,565 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ringwise View Post
Yes they do. They have cell phones, get their nails done, smoke cigarettes and drink alcohol. They just choose to play the victim rather than pay their fair share.
If they do all that, they surely pay quite a bit in taxes albeit more towards the benefit of the local and state governments. But you want them to pay more in federal income tax. So, what would you consider to be a fair share for an average American whose adjusted gross income is in the bottom 50% (about $15K)?

Old 06-13-2011, 09:10 AM

44,259 posts, read 64,391,094 times
Everyone (rich and poor) should pay taxes so that everyone has a stake in the game.

By making the rich shoulder most of the burden, you almost automatically create a situation in which they are going to do everything they can to game the system and create problems for everyone else. No one likes to feel like they are being screwed.

I'm sick and tired of people saying that the rich are just lucky. Most of the rich I know didn't inherit, and most of the poor I know aren't sitting around scrimping and saving to lessen their burden on society.

The sad fact is that you can give a 100 people a 100 grand and most people will totally EFF it up and wind up back at zero...a tiny few will make something out of it and a tiny few will somehow figure out a way to make their situation even worse than it was before.

People are different, intelligence is different, drive to succeed is different, work ethics are different...a natural society will always have a giant difference between the top and the bottom because that is nature...the idea of the middle is always artificially constructed and will never occur without social engineering and redistribution of wealth.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies