Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-13-2011, 05:48 PM

8,182 posts, read 9,217,313 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by shorebaby View Post
Neither of those quotes remotely translate into what you have written. Go ahead there only thousands of links about classical liberals. Not one remotely supports your contention.
Please explain to me what this means.

"It is the value of the improvement only, and not the earth itself, that is individual property.... Every proprietor owes to the community a ground rent for the land which he holds."

And this.

"Ground rents are a species of revenue which the owner, in many cases, enjoys without any care or attention of his own. Ground rents are, therefore, perhaps a species of revenue which can best bear to have a peculiar tax imposed upon them."
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-13-2011, 05:50 PM

1,777 posts, read 1,403,956 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ringwise View Post
Apparently, reading comprehension is not a strong suit.

SAME percentage. You're poor, you pay a certain percentage. You're rich, you pay the same percentage.
So do you not know about diminishing marginal utility of money, or do you not care that a purely equal consumption task WILL impose a tougher burden on the poor than on the richer?

It might be time for me to post another Lucky Ducky comic, considering how cartoonish some of the views expressed here have been.

Old 06-13-2011, 07:19 PM

17,401 posts, read 11,982,916 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bc42gb43 View Post
So do you not know about diminishing marginal utility of money, or do you not care that a purely equal consumption task WILL impose a tougher burden on the poor than on the richer?

It might be time for me to post another Lucky Ducky comic, considering how cartoonish some of the views expressed here have been.
You asked me what I thought was fair. Then you mock my answer to the question, after first not understanding what equal percentage meant. But Ive come to expect that from liberals - no rational response, so they resort to mockery and hate.

No, I do not care that an equal consumption task will impose a tougher burden on the poor. Just as you don't care that the rich pay far more for fewer entitlements than the poor do. There are all kinds of equal.

The reality is, I'd like to see everyone pay at a percentage that they take. But I know that won't happen. Because the poor are really just victims of the progressive agenda that has convinced them that they are incapable of living the american dream in exchange for votes.

Old 06-13-2011, 07:23 PM

19,890 posts, read 18,760,703 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hilgi View Post
Please explain to me what this means.

"It is the value of the improvement only, and not the earth itself, that is individual property.... Every proprietor owes to the community a ground rent for the land which he holds."

And this.

"Ground rents are a species of revenue which the owner, in many cases, enjoys without any care or attention of his own. Ground rents are, therefore, perhaps a species of revenue which can best bear to have a peculiar tax imposed upon them."

They are in favor of land tax. I said that I post 91. They are in favor of land taxes as a way to raise revenue. It has nothing to do with the craziness you impute to it.

Old 06-13-2011, 07:30 PM

Quote:
They are in favor of land tax. I said that I post 91. They are in favor of land taxes as a way to raise revenue. It has nothing to do with the craziness you impute to it.
Why are they in favor of a land tax?

What craziness did I impute?

Old 06-13-2011, 07:38 PM

Quote:

: smack: post 197.

Too funny this whole thread you have stated that classical liberals have some different ideas than conservatives and libertarians about taxes. You are wrong.

Old 06-13-2011, 07:41 PM

Quote:
: smack: post 197.
That is your post, nothing you said was a fact or even an answer, it was your opinion.

Old 06-13-2011, 07:41 PM

Quote:
That is your post, nothing you said was a fact or even an answer, it was your opinion.

Doh, see above. They were in favor of land taxes to raise revenue! Yikes which part of that didn't you get last time?

Old 06-13-2011, 07:45 PM

Quote:
Doh, see above. They were in favor of land taxes to raise revenue! Yikes which part of that didn't you get last time?
Why land and not income, sales, or other taxes?

Old 06-13-2011, 07:49 PM

13,900 posts, read 9,776,811 times
Scrap the current tax code. Keep a progressive structure, but make sure everyone pays in. Lower all rates. Get rid of all of the deductions, credits, shelters, subsidies, write-offs, expenditures, etc and put a small national sales tax on everything.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies