Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-13-2011, 07:52 PM

19,890 posts, read 18,760,703 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by hilgi View Post
Why land and not income, sales, or other taxes?

What craziness did I impute?

Ay caramba, I have pointed out that you have repeatedly said classical liberalism had a different point of view on taxes, you have been repeatedly proven wrong. You refuse to acknowledge it. You clearly want the last word, so it is yours.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-13-2011, 07:53 PM

3,718 posts, read 5,698,985 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by evilnewbie View Post
For me... everyone should have some "skin in the game"... I hate it when people with no "skin in the game" are the ones who wants to make the decisions... those decisions end up being self-serving... wow, will wonders never cease...
Well said, fellow poster

Old 06-13-2011, 07:55 PM

8,182 posts, read 9,217,313 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shorebaby View Post
Ay caramba, I have pointed out that you have repeatedly said classical liberalism had a different point of view on taxes, you have been repeatedly proven wrong. You refuse to acknowledge it. You clearly want the last word, so it is yours.
Actually I want an answer out of you, not just put-downs without any support. I have said (and given several examples) of classical liberals who called for a land tax which would primarily fall on wealthy land owners. You admitted they were calling for a land tax, how am I wrong in saying they were calling for a different form of tax?

Old 06-13-2011, 10:26 PM

1,777 posts, read 1,403,956 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ringwise View Post
No, I do not care that an equal consumption task will impose a tougher burden on the poor. Just as you don't care that the rich pay far more for fewer entitlements than the poor do. There are all kinds of equal.
Oh, those poor people, getting all sorts of entitlements that the rich pay for!

http://flagpole.com/images/jpgs/2008/10/22/TomBug_b.jpg (broken link)

Old 06-14-2011, 02:18 PM

14,492 posts, read 26,603,163 times
Quote:
Actually I want an answer out of you, not just put-downs without any support. I have said (and given several examples) of classical liberals who called for a land tax which would primarily fall on wealthy land owners. You admitted they were calling for a land tax, how am I wrong in saying they were calling for a different form of tax?
they never have answers. No ones buying but hey...lets charge a land tax on these foreclosed condos

http://www.yellowkeyrealty.com/fl/ta...h/y-buy/y-reo/

Sunny Isles Beach Condos

why does it seem the far right never travels to other states in their own country, to see what the market looks like?

Last edited by dreamofmonterey; 06-14-2011 at 02:20 PM.. Reason: add

Old 06-14-2011, 03:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dreamofmonterey View Post
they never have answers. No ones buying but hey...lets charge a land tax on these foreclosed condos
Actually that is a property tax you are talking about.

A land tax is charged on unimproved land and reduced as the land is improved, or eliminated if you no longer require exclusive use and control of it.

This would dramatically lower housing costs as more land is freed up from land speculators and hoarders.

Old 06-14-2011, 08:56 PM

89,060 posts, read 44,866,510 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoCalCroozer View Post
Ted Turner owns millions of acres. One of the biggest landholders in the world. He makes his money off of natural resources that belong to EVERY American.
What makes you think EVERY American owns the natural resources? That's communist ideology. Are you a communist? Do you believe the communists' murder of millions of people was appropriate, as well?

Normally don't like to cite Wikipedia, but they do have the facts correct as to the communist genocide of tens of millions of people.
Mass killings under Communist regimes - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Old 06-14-2011, 09:04 PM

14,492 posts, read 26,603,163 times
Quote:
Actually that is a property tax you are talking about.

A land tax is charged on unimproved land and reduced as the land is improved, or eliminated if you no longer require exclusive use and control of it.

This would dramatically lower housing costs as more land is freed up from land speculators and hoarders.
But they have no incentive to improve it in this trashed market...Its pointless. Like renovating your kitchen for 90k with granite countertops...its law of diminished returns.

Housing itself is in the toilet. Unimproved land? there are commercial realtors that cant sell VACANT real estate offices...5 of which have filed Chapter 11 in the last year. Seriously, its worse than people realize. I wish I had rose colored glasses.

There is no limit of vacant land...its worth zilch right now...unless you are in a coastal city with tiny zero lot lines and a thriving job market (NYC or S.F. Bay area). NO ONE is buying.

devalued assets have no draw, unless you can buy up in bulk like Trump did on South Beach

Old 06-14-2011, 09:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by InformedConsent View Post
What makes you think EVERY American owns the natural resources? That's communist ideology. Are you a communist? Do you believe the communists' murder of millions of people was appropriate, as well?

Normally don't like to cite Wikipedia, but they do have the facts correct as to the communist genocide of tens of millions of people.
Mass killings under Communist regimes - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Actually communists were against the land tax because it still perpetuates private ownership.

Turner should pay society for the governments protection of his exclusive use of land and TV spectrum's.

You aren't a Royalist are you? You sound like Royal libertarian. http://geolib.com/essays/sullivan.dan/royallib.html

Old 06-14-2011, 09:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dreamofmonterey View Post
But they have no incentive to improve it in this trashed market...Its pointless. Like renovating your kitchen for 90k with granite countertops...its law of diminished returns.

Housing itself is in the toilet. Unimproved land? there are commercial realtors that cant sell VACANT real estate offices...5 of which have filed Chapter 11 in the last year. Seriously, its worse than people realize. I wish I had rose colored glasses.

There is no limit of vacant land...its worth zilch right now...unless you are in a coastal city with tiny zero lot lines and a thriving job market (NYC or S.F. Bay area). NO ONE is buying.

devalued assets have no draw, unless you can buy up in bulk like Trump did on South Beach
Perfect time to bring back homesteading and start a land tax.

Last edited by hilgi; 06-14-2011 at 09:46 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies