Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: ?
Yes 13 9.42%
No 125 90.58%
Voters: 138. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-21-2011, 11:47 AM

15,088 posts, read 13,455,042 times

Advertisements

You guys should realize that we'll all be bailing out the federal government, which is already effectively in the business of "bailing out" the states in a variety of ways. It's all on nation, and there are no real boundaries when it comes to national solvency.

So it's rather childish to be playing these "Texas vs. California" or "my state against your state" games. We're in the same boat, people, and it would be in our best interest for all states to do better rather than wish failure to one portion of the country.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-21-2011, 11:50 AM

4,300 posts, read 4,410,174 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ambient View Post
You guys should realize that we'll all be bailing out the federal government, which is already effectively in the business of "bailing out" the states in a variety of ways. It's all on nation, and there are no real boundaries when it comes to national solvency.

So it's rather childish to be playing these "Texas vs. California" or "my state against your state" games. We're in the same boat, people, and it would be in our best interest for all states to do better rather than wish failure to one portion of the country.
I certainly don't want any state to fail, but I also don't want to bail a state that refused to listen and did what they wanted, only to fail. If they fail, that is their choice. They were warned and I shouldn't have to pay for their arrogance just so they can continue in it.

Old 06-21-2011, 12:00 PM

6,391 posts, read 5,169,562 times
Once they eject all the illegal aliens, and reduce the size of their government, they will be fine, till then, let them go under.

Old 06-21-2011, 12:29 PM

31,292 posts, read 20,749,540 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flize View Post
And why ?

I voted no, but would support a bail out with conditions.

1. 100% of the legislature must resign and can never hold public office again.

2. All state pensions will be reduced to levels below the private sector.

3. All state employee defined benefit plans will be terminated immediately.

4. The new legislature must develop a balanced budget with NO tax increases within six months.

Old 06-21-2011, 12:33 PM

17,531 posts, read 24,704,444 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ambient View Post

FOX News has them believing California is in worse shape than Texas

Old 06-21-2011, 12:38 PM

4,300 posts, read 4,410,174 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boompa View Post
FOX News has them believing California is in worse shape than Texas
So does CNN, MSNBC and BBC. BBC had an interesting on-air piece on the "Texas-Model". I've been trying to google that to see if that was ever put on their website, but I cannot find it. It's a shame. Calfornia has always been my idea of heaven on earth. If I was offered a good there, I would still move there in a heart-beat though.

Old 06-21-2011, 12:39 PM

13,900 posts, read 9,775,066 times
No. They need to cut spending and raise tax revenues.

Old 06-21-2011, 12:44 PM

37,135 posts, read 42,228,838 times
As if anyone has a choice but to accept anything.

Old 06-21-2011, 12:48 PM

13,138 posts, read 22,821,936 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flize View Post
And why ?
I'm sick of paying for other people's mistake. Damn the torpedos; let it collaspe and we'll rebuild it as something better.

Old 06-21-2011, 12:57 PM

1,324 posts, read 1,198,763 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darkatt View Post
Once they eject all the illegal aliens, and reduce the size of their government, they will be fine, till then, let them go under.
When they have nothing to hand out to illegals , they will go away . Dirty politicians will go when the funds dry up. Just like when rich people loose all their money , all their so called friends go also .
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies