Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-21-2011, 06:08 PM

1,148 posts, read 1,683,574 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Winter_Sucks View Post
No wonder the GOP wants to stop "Obamacare," they're afraid people will like it.
Some of my friends have been on Medicaid. With what I have seen, it is one of the worst insurances available. Many doctors refuse to take it so the Medicaid patients are left with the ER or the worst doctors in town. I actually saw one kid on Medicaid who desperately needed help for autism. The Medicaid doctor just gave the kid Ritalin.

I would actually be better of with no insurance than on Medicaid. On Medicaid, I would be forced to take prednisone for my asthma and go the worst doctor in town. With no insurance, I can keep my current doctor, negotiate a payment plan, and negotiate with my prescription company to get help with Advair, a much better treatment alternative than prednisone.

Plus, taxpayers are screwed. Who is going to pay for this??? The middle class is shrinking due to lack of jobs. The poor class is increasing rapidly. The number of rich have decreased. Anyone who thinks the top 1% can pay for this is living under a rock. You do realize that even if every single American were taxed at 100% of their income, we still couldn't pay down the 14 trillion dollar deficit.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-21-2011, 06:09 PM

25,580 posts, read 56,493,097 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post
No, medicaid is for people under 65, too. Everyone on welfare gets medicaid. You are misunderstanding this.

Here is what the Colorado medicaid website says:

HCPF:Medicaid Eligibility for Persons Under Age 64

Medicaid Eligibility for Persons Who are Blind or Persons with Disabilities Who are Under Age 64

Who is eligible?

If you are under the age of 64 and do not have dependant children, you must be determined blind or disabled by the Social Security Administration (SSA) standards.
If you are eligible for Supplemental Security Income (SSI) from SSA then you will automatically receive Medicaid.

WRONG!!! Read what you posted. Everyone on welfare DOES NOT qualify for Medicaid.

They need to be pregnant, blind and/or disabled.

YOU CAN POSSIBLY QUALIFY FOR MEDICAID IF UNDER AGE 65 = ONLY IF

YOU ARE BLIND AND/OR DISABLED, PREGNANT OR HAVE DISABLED DEPENDENTS.

The fact that you might be poor is then a determinant on whether or not you qualify.

There are plenty of people on the Unemployment Forum who have no money, qualify for food stamps, but do not qualify for Medicaid because they are not disabled. And, 'welfare' per se is only available to people with dependents or those who are disabled. If you have no dependents and are fit, you get nothing other than food stamps and possibly energy assistance.

Old 06-21-2011, 06:18 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,796,716 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ariadne22 View Post
WRONG!!! Read what you posted. Everyone on welfare DOES NOT qualify for Medicaid.

YOU ARE BLIND AND/OR DISABLED.

The fact that you might be poor is then a determinant on whether or not you qualify.
I'm sorry, you are flat out wrong. I have worked in heatlh care for 40+ years. All people receiving TANF (welfare) are on Medicaid as well. Do you not see the categories, "pregnant women" (not too many of them >65, or blind, or disabled), "children" (by definition not >65), etc.

From the federal link:

Apply for Medicaid if you are the parent or guardian of a child who is 18 years old or younger and your family's income is limited, or if your child is sick enough to need nursing home care, but could stay home with good quality care at home.

Old 06-21-2011, 06:18 PM

86,052 posts, read 84,509,263 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ariadne22 View Post

YOU ARE BLIND AND/OR DISABLED, PREGNANT OR HAVE DISABLED DEPENDENTS.

There are plenty of people on the Unemployment Forum who have no money, qualify for food stamps, but do not qualify for Medicaid because they are not disabled. And, 'welfare' per se is only available to people with dependents or those who are disabled. If you have no dependents and are fit, you get nothing other than food stamps and possibly energy assistance.
You quoted the Fed regulations which someone stated earlier are the minimum requirements. States can and have expanded that to include many more people than what the Fed says.

Go see each state requirements.

Old 06-21-2011, 06:20 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,796,716 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
You quoted the Fed regulations which someone stated earlier are the minimum requirements. States can and have expanded that to include many more people than what the Fed says.

Go see each state requirements.
Heck, even the federal requirements include low-income children. Nothing is said in that link about blind or disabled.

Old 06-21-2011, 08:13 PM

31,292 posts, read 20,749,540 times
Quote:
No wonder the GOP wants to stop "Obamacare," they're afraid people will like it.

Absolutely!!!! Free health care for all is what I say. And let the last remaining tax payers pay through the nose. Those greedy tax payers deserve to pay more and more and more. Why should we not allow the half of our population who pay taxes to not shoulder an additional burden?

And who wouldn't like free health care? Let's all jump on the bandwagon, and maybe the rich Chinese will pay for it.

Old 06-21-2011, 08:18 PM

10,545 posts, read 13,588,653 times
Quote:
Until we can no longer do it and people riot in the streets when the government has to make cuts. There are examples of where this leads all over Europe.

Old 06-21-2011, 08:19 PM

86,052 posts, read 84,509,263 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roadking2003 View Post
Absolutely!!!! Free health care for all is what I say. And let the last remaining tax payers pay through the nose. Those greedy tax payers deserve to pay more and more and more. Why should we not allow the half of our population who pay taxes to not shoulder an additional burden?

And who wouldn't like free health care? Let's all jump on the bandwagon, and maybe the rich Chinese will pay for it.
Just think..anywhere between 20-25 million people will be getting healthcare and you have the honor of paying for it after you pay for your own.

Old 06-21-2011, 08:38 PM

5,513 posts, read 5,242,711 times
Quote:
Considering that Obama is giving waivers to everyone who contributed to his campaign coffers, it seems obvious that even he recognizes that Obamacare is a financial disaster.

Out of curiousity, which part are we supposed to like: the dropping of at least 30% of employer-subsidized health insurance plans? (30 Percent of Employers to Drop Health Coverage Because of Obamacare | CNSnews.com)

The over-8% increase in cost for insurance and health care each year? (Obamacare Prompts Increase In Medical Costs-Again)

The minimum-$1 trillion increase in taxes, up to the $6 trillion estimates? (ObamaCare’s Cost Could Top $6 Trillion | Cato @ Liberty)

The requirement to BUY a one-size-fits-all product from a for-profit corporation, and pay whatever it costs to buy all the newly-mandated coverage (with full mental health coverage alone adding over 25% to the cost of a typical plan)? (InsureBlog: More Obamacare Premium Increases)

The exacerbated doctor and health care shortages? "The U.S. will be short 124,400 front-line physicians by 2025, according to the Association of Medical Colleges. That doesn't include the additional 15,585 primary care providers that will needed under Obamacare." (Obamacare won't survive coming doctor shortage | Examiner Editorial | Opinion | Washington Examiner (http://washingtonexaminer.com/editorials/2009/06/obamacare-wont-survive-coming-doctor-shortage - broken link))

Yes, it's nice that we can now carry insurance from one employer to another. But that, and other tiny incremental improvements, could have been legislated in one easy and inexpensive bill. It's hardly worth a massive government take-over of the health care industry and huge new taxes on top of a collapsing economy, combined with a maximum profit deal that ensures the continued wealth and pillaging of the Big Insurance and Big Pharma conglomerates that created the health care crisis in the first place.

Old 06-21-2011, 09:27 PM

14 posts, read 16,496 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by redroses777 View Post
Some of my friends have been on Medicaid. With what I have seen, it is one of the worst insurances available. Many doctors refuse to take it so the Medicaid patients are left with the ER or the worst doctors in town. I actually saw one kid on Medicaid who desperately needed help for autism. The Medicaid doctor just gave the kid Ritalin.

I would actually be better of with no insurance than on Medicaid. On Medicaid, I would be forced to take prednisone for my asthma and go the worst doctor in town. With no insurance, I can keep my current doctor, negotiate a payment plan, and negotiate with my prescription company to get help with Advair, a much better treatment alternative than prednisone.

Plus, taxpayers are screwed. Who is going to pay for this??? The middle class is shrinking due to lack of jobs. The poor class is increasing rapidly. The number of rich have decreased. Anyone who thinks the top 1% can pay for this is living under a rock. You do realize that even if every single American were taxed at 100% of their income, we still couldn't pay down the 14 trillion dollar deficit.
Right on! we need to get away from this welfare, nanny state mentality and let the markets dictate these things.....REPEAL OBAMACARE!!!!!!!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies