Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-27-2011, 12:42 PM

16,545 posts, read 13,457,656 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by nightflight View Post
Is there a link to a police statement on this?
I've been asking the same thing.

Old 06-27-2011, 12:44 PM

14,917 posts, read 13,105,768 times
Here's the "eyewitness" account. I've underlined and bolded the things which seem either patently false or outrageous hyperbole.

Quote:
Tonight, around 11 p.m., a group of at least 60-70 African American youth marched down one of the side streets (W. Thrush) to the 4 lane main drag (Sheridan). They were yelling threats to white residents. Things such as we need to kill alll the white people around here. They were physically intimidating anyone calling for help from the police. They were surrounding cars. Cars on the main drag had to slam on their brakes to either avoid the youth blocking not only all four lanes, but a large section of the side street as well. fights were breaking out among them. They were rushing residents who looked out their doors, going on to porches, yelling threats to people calling the police for help.

Cars were doing U turns on the streets just to avoid the mob, mostly male. One youth stated his grandfather was white and several assaulted him on the spot. One police officer answered the call. The youth split into two large groups, one heading north, the other south. They were also yelling racial threats to the police officer but he was outnumbered. Another police car did not show up until after the youth finally dispersed and the patty wagon (van) also eventually showed up.

Residents are very shaken, both black and white alike. This is the fifth large mob action in about a month with smaller groups of 10-12 are out threatening children and adults a few evenings a week or later into the night. The times vary, even occuring during the day. In talking to the police officer, they are short staffed. Residents were advised to simply keep inside and to lock their doors. In other words buckle down, it’s not even safe to sit on your porch or go into your yards.
I don't know what happened - I wasn't there. However, this account seems beyond the pale ridiculous. Nobody else saw the same things. We now have somebody saying the eyewitness has a history of reporting false and overblown race crimes to the police. We also have another person who says there was a small, race-neutral incident in the area nothing like a violent black mob of 70 terrorizing all the white folks.

I looked up this area. Within a mile of the intersection are 9 restaurants and 9 bars. The eyewitness says this particular incident occurred after 11pm on a Saturday (I'm not sure when he claims the other 4 violent black mobs he also witnessed marched through the area). The mostly likely thing to me seems that a group of drunk 20somethings - perhaps all black or at least some black - were going to or leaving the bars and caused a bit of a scene. Maybe there was a drunken fist fist fight or a few of the drunks though it would be fun to hold up traffic. Drunk 21 year olds in groups sometimes do very stupid things.

It seems to me this racist agitator eyewitness then took to the internet and exaggerated it into roving large mobs of violent black youth regularly roaming (he personally saw 5 such mobs in one month) the streets of Peoria terrorizing, threatening, and assaulting good innocent white people both on the streets and in their homes.

Old 06-27-2011, 12:46 PM

6,914 posts, read 14,764,084 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oz in SC View Post
No I didn't miss that,because there hasn't been a police statement released that I know of....

Could you post the police statement again for us all to read?

The one that states Wilkinson has fabricated these stories is Van Auken,unless you again have some more information for us...

You need to get your eyes checked or something...

Quote:
Van Auken, who has known Wilkinson for six years, said he's had a history of "wildly exaggerating" reports, many of them involving race. And police are well aware of it.

Old 06-27-2011, 12:47 PM

4,367 posts, read 3,485,145 times
Quote:

Quote:
Van Auken, who has known Wilkinson for six years, said he's had a history of "wildly exaggerating" reports, many of them involving race. And police are well aware of it.
Do you have a link to a statement by the police........

Old 06-27-2011, 12:50 PM

19,567 posts, read 21,875,929 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hammertime33 View Post
Here's the "eyewitness" account. I've underlined and bolded the things which seem either patently false or outrageous hyperbole.

I don't know what happened - I wasn't there. However, this account seems beyond the pale ridiculous. Nobody else saw the same things.
From the first news article:
Quote:

Kenny Rogers, who has lived on Sheridan for 10 years, called police Friday after he saw the group "hollering" and stopping traffic on the street. He did not hear anyone yell that they wanted to kill white people.
Rogers says the crowd was running wildly around yards and porches. It was the largest Rogers, 38, had ever seen in the neighborhood.
"They were doing a show of force," he said, "to show everybody, 'Hey, this is their hood.'"

Quote:
We now have somebody saying the eyewitness has a history of reporting false and overblown race crimes to the police.
She has accused him of such things,no proof beyond her word has been put forward.

Quote:
We also have another person who says there was a small, race-neutral incident in the area nothing like a violent black mob of 70 terrorizing all the white folks.
Which other person?

Quote:
I looked up this area. Within a mile of the intersection are 9 restaurants and 9 bars. The eyewitness says this particular incident occurred after 11pm on a Saturday (I'm not sure when he claims the other 4 violent black mobs he also witnessed marched through the area). The mostly likely thing to me seems that a group of drunk 20somethings - perhaps all black or at least some black - were going to or leaving the bars and caused a bit of a scene. Maybe there was a drunken fist fist fight or a few of the drunks though it would be fun to hold up traffic. Drunk 21 year olds in groups sometimes do very stupid things.
You mean like yell racial comments?
You believe people will do stupid things,just not yell stupid things...LOL.

Quote:
It seems to me this racist agitator eyewitness then took to the internet and exaggerated it into roving large mobs of violent black youth regularly roaming (he personally saw 5 such mobs in one month) the streets of Peoria terrorizing, threatening, and assaulting good innocent white people both on the streets and in their homes.
That may be exactly how it seems to you.

Doesn't mean it is true of course.

We do know the police have warned residents to stay indoors and be cautious...odd warning when nothing really happened....

Old 06-27-2011, 12:51 PM

19,567 posts, read 21,875,929 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nineties Flava View Post
Could you post the police statement pertaining to Wilkinson fabricating stories?

Or just any police statement connected to this event.

Thanks.

Old 06-27-2011, 12:53 PM

16,545 posts, read 13,457,656 times
Quote:
Could you post the police statement pertaining to Wilkinson fabricating stories?

Thanks.
I hope you like the sound of crickets!

Old 06-27-2011, 12:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nightflight View Post
Do you have a link to a statement by the police........
In the same article:

Quote:
Some residents, unaware of the media attention, confirmed Sunday there was a crowd in the street Friday, but said that race was not involved. A police report on the incident does not even mention the word race.

As far as having a direct article to the police statement, no I don't.

Old 06-27-2011, 12:55 PM

86,052 posts, read 84,509,263 times
It's turning into "he said, she said" and the cops are told to shut their mouths but put a riot van on their block.

Nothing about this adds up to draw conclusions for either side.

Old 06-27-2011, 12:56 PM

Quote:

Thanks.

You could always try finding it yourself if you have a genuine interest in finding out whether the witness you believe is actually dependable. However, I doubt you do... even if I do provide a source you'll probably come up with a reason for why we shouldn't believe the police report. Sorry, I'm not wasting more of my time today. If I do eventually see a police report though I'll be sure to post it
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies