Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-06-2011, 02:49 PM

86,052 posts, read 84,626,176 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathguy View Post
That's part of what he's saying and certainly something I agree with.

There is an undertone of defensiveness on the issue because of sensitivity to the racial background of the criminals and the media attention. However on that point I generally agree with Charlie that this is nothing new and a function of the distruction of the black family in past decades....for which there is plenty of blame to go around.
Well you can take my blame because I didn't cause any hardship to black families such that they would fall apart and run wild in the streets.

Go blame Hillary; wasn't she the one saying "it takes a village...." ? Ask her where that village is right about now that were going to raise kids properly cause the parents sure as hell aren't.

Old 07-06-2011, 02:52 PM

8,806 posts, read 6,126,101 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AllenDullesMJ12 View Post
The Police Chief claims the attacks were "color blind".

Flynn calls looting, beatings in Riverwest barbaric - JSOnline
I have a friend (white) who used to live in Riverwest and he was walking home one night with two friends and they were robbed at gunpoint (by two black guys), so this really doesn't surprise me much. They were just walking along, smoking cigarettes, and a guy behind them called out and asked if they had a lighter. They said yes and stopped to give it to the guy, then another guy, who was hiding in the bushes, came out with a gun and robbed them. A Jimmy John's driver was shot and killed in Riverwest around this time also, the guys gave a fake address and shot the guy over like $20.

Milwaukee Police just wish it was colorblind. I would venture a guess that the people in Riverwest who are the targets of violent attacks are the whites, it is just too close to the border of Milwaukee to be safe. The north side of the city is mostly black ghettos, so....

ETA: This seems to be a huge part of the problem:
Quote:
Most of the 11 people who told the Journal Sentinel they were attacked or witnessed the attacks on their friends said that police did not take their complaints seriously. They each said police responded to the scene quickly and tended to the injured, but officers did not take statements from them and told them to leave the area

Last edited by andrea3821; 07-06-2011 at 03:05 PM..

Old 07-06-2011, 02:53 PM

78,655 posts, read 60,852,359 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chalie Brown View Post
Well if you have an interest in mentoring but simply don't have the time, then it should be clear I'm not talking about you, sir. Everyone here does not have the head on their shoulders that you do, which is a shame.
My late wife did some big sisters before we got married, but then she was a better person than me. I have just enough energy right now to take care of my own for the most part. My kids need to start doing community service here (lol not due to court order) in a few years and I will look for a way that we could perhaps get involved together. I will be looking at tutoring etc.

Old 07-06-2011, 02:54 PM

3,504 posts, read 3,932,190 times
the only people who should be mentoring are the people who constantly say something is wrong but do nothing to fix it.

those people are the problem. they sit on the sideline, complain all day, yet when it comes down to it, do nothing to fix the problem that they say is such an epidemic.

and that because im white i cant help the black community problem is not a good enough excuse, because what happens in one community is usually a precursor to what will happen to your community.

black families have a out of wedlock rate of something like 70 percent, little has been done to intervene.

what do you know, look at the white out of wedlock rate, which has exploded in recent years. doesn't help that you have mtv and shows promoting white teenagers having kids out of wedlock to gullible kids who will do the same thing since its considered the norm.

in the last 20 years, the white out of wedlock rate has gone up 69 percent, currently 30 percent nationwide, and will only continue to increase.

Old 07-06-2011, 02:56 PM

1,067 posts, read 1,681,873 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EdwardA View Post
And what did you do when he was telling you? Laugh? Did you reprimand him and warn him someone may have a gun and shoot him? Tell his parents?

My cousin wasnt talking about it. SHE was sitting on the porch with some other kids and I was out there getting some air (cooking) and they were talking about it. I told them it was sick and they are gonna end up killing someone and going to jail for life.

Old 07-06-2011, 03:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by andrea3821 View Post
I have a friend (white) who used to live in Riverwest and he was walking home one night with two friends and they were robbed at gunpoint (by two black guys), so this really doesn't surprise me much. They were just walking along, smoking cigarettes, and a guy behind them called out and asked if they had a lighter. They said yes and stopped to give it to the guy, then another guy, who was hiding in the bushes, came out with a gun and robbed them. A Jimmy John's driver was shot and killed in Riverwest around this time also, the guys gave a fake address and shot the guy over like $20.

Milwaukee Police just wish it was colorblind. I would venture a guess that the people in Riverwest who are the targets of violent attacks are the whites, it is just too close to the border of Milwaukee to be safe. The north side of the city is mostly black ghettos, so....
In bad areas EVERYBODY gets robbed. The idea that blacks are just lurking around looking for whites to rob is just flat wrong and backed up by crime statistics as well. When someone is out looking to mug someone they aren't checking a sherwin-williams color tone guide, they are going to mug the guys with the nice shoes, some jewelry on....preferably drunk. Easy mark, easy cash.

Old 07-06-2011, 03:01 PM

7,817 posts, read 6,408,419 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tropolis View Post
the only people who should be mentoring are the people who constantly say something is wrong but do nothing to fix it.

those people are the problem. they sit on the sideline, complain all day, yet when it comes down to it, do nothing to fix the problem that they say is such an epidemic.
No, the problem are the gangs of 50 or so people beating and robbing innocent people.

Old 07-06-2011, 03:02 PM

10,029 posts, read 8,361,210 times
Quote:
im mixed(half white/half black).

and no, just because i have a similar skin color does not mean i should be responsible for what other people with similar color do, and it doesn't mean i should care about what other people do, just because they have a similar skin color as I.

what one black does or what one white does, or what many whites do or many blacks do has nothing to do with me. i should not have to help people just because they look like me, or whatever similarity, just as whites shouldn't have to help bring up poor and criminal whites because they themselves are white.

Isn't that an interesting concept.....

If more black people felt that way the world would be a better place. I can't count the number of times on this forum and in life where blacks have tried in some way to hold me accountable for the actions of the entire white race since the dawn of time.

Old 07-06-2011, 03:02 PM

Quote:
black families have a out of wedlock rate of something like 70 percent, little has been done to intervene.

what do you know, look at the white out of wedlock rate, which has exploded in recent years. doesn't help that you have mtv and shows promoting white teenagers having kids out of wedlock to gullible kids who will do the same thing since its considered the norm.

in the last 20 years, the white out of wedlock rate has gone up 69 percent, currently 30 percent nationwide, and will only continue to increase.
I agree 100%.

However, this is a touchy touchy issue and "intervening" can get you called racist or uncle tom etc. (see Bill Cosby...)

Old 07-06-2011, 03:03 PM

3,504 posts, read 3,932,190 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shiftymh View Post
No, the problem are the gangs of 50 or so people beating and robbing innocent people.
As Chalie Brown said, if you do nothing, you are just as much as part of the problem, especially if you spend all day online talking about it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies