Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 01-31-2012, 08:27 AM

6,897 posts, read 4,758,236 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by GCSTroop View Post
The flu vaccine is imperfect because it evolves so rapidly that by the time the "new flu" begins hitting people there is no real way to know what genetic characteristics it has. Therefore, most flu vaccinations are given using the previous year's genetic breakdown. Even if the flu virus is different than the previous year, the "back door" by which the bodies immune system can attack the hardened RNA shell may still be the same. Other times it may not.

So, no, the flu vaccine isn't perfect and that is readily acknowledged. But, the last time I checked it did have a greater than 50% chance of preventing the flu. That may not be as great as what we'd like but it's certainly better than nothing!
You're right, the flu shot is at best guess work on what virus they think is going to invade us this year, but even if they don't get it exactly right, it still offers some protection.

Old 01-31-2012, 08:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eleanora1 View Post
The thing is that you never you which type you are. Everyone needs vaccines so none of us have to find out. For all I know I'm "the type" that would be dead of smallpox. As recently as 1967 more than two million people died from it. Aren't you glad that we have vaccines so we don't have to find out anything about smallpox ever again? For that matter would you rather have a shot with the possibility of a minor side effect for a day or so or be sick for week?

Again the reasoning here does not make sense.
Quote:
Why are shots so scary but real diseases being dismissed as of no consequence?
ALL of us need vaccines. The only people who don't are those who can't get them because of medical reasons. And they need the rest of us to get them. That action protects all of us. Isn't that amazing and wonderful? Isn't it amazing that no one dies from smallpox anymore? That very few people are paralyzed by polio or made mentally retarded in the womb by congenital rubella syndrome?
I would be willing to bet most of these people are to young to remember the ravages of childhood diseases, especially Polio. I don't think you want to go back to this.

https://www.google.com/search?q=imag...iw=911&bih=399

Old 01-31-2012, 08:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by malamute View Post
Exactly.

I don't think anyone is trying to dictate to those who want every vaccine possible that they cannot have them. And if they have them, then they should have no fear of catching something.

If they get their flu shot then they're protected from my flu if I get the flu. Just like their children are protected by the vaccine from whopping cough while the unvaccinated kids might get whopping cough.

Educate people -- polio vaccine is definitely one many people would want to have, same goes for tetanus but many who have had the flu in the past and had few and minor symptoms may decide it's not a vaccine they really need.
Quote:

I'm pretty sure I've had the flu a long time ago and more than one. All it was for me was come aches and chills and fever and I used the family "cure" and it was gone by morning.
Someone else whose flu lasted for 2 months and left them bedridden for weeks may decide to get the vaccine.
I would bet what you had was not the flu, it may have been a virus you had immunity to and weren't infected as seriously or possibly food poisoning. A full blown case of the flu will put you in bed for about 5 days and you will know if you have the flu, believe me.

Old 01-31-2012, 09:28 AM

86,052 posts, read 84,563,928 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghostrider275452 View Post
I would bet what you had was not the flu, it may have been a virus you had immunity to and weren't infected as seriously or possibly food poisoning. A full blown case of the flu will put you in bed for about 5 days and you will know if you have the flu, believe me.
Yup..the flu is not a one day event. I had the flu..out for a week and slept (or more like tossed and turned) for 5 days before even feeling a little bit better.

Yes, once you've had the flu, the real flu, then you know.

Old 01-31-2012, 09:40 AM

3,484 posts, read 2,874,458 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
I've had all those childhood diseases. And do you ask everyone you come in contact with if they had their shots before you let them near your baby ?
So? Just because you were okay does not others are okay.

Most people are thankfully vaccinated so I don't have to go around asking. The one or two morons I know personally who are too stupid to be okay with vaccination I stay away from as much as possible. In general those who aren't because they are too dumb to understand basic science should be fined, sued and kept away from civil society.

Again why is okay to forego rational health measures and possibly infect others with contagious diseases?

Old 01-31-2012, 09:46 AM

86,052 posts, read 84,563,928 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eleanora1 View Post
So? Just because you were okay does not others are okay.

Most people are thankfully vaccinated so I don't have to go around asking. The one or two morons I know personally who are too stupid to be okay with vaccination I stay away from as much as possible. In general those who aren't because they are too dumb to understand basic science should be fined, sued and kept away from civil society.

Again why is okay to forego rational health measures and possibly infect others with contagious diseases?

If you have all your vaccines you won't get infected. Why are you so worried ?

Old 01-31-2012, 09:54 AM

620 posts, read 1,747,880 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by workingclasshero View Post
meanwhile the whooping vaccine ( part of the DPT vaccine ) is a possible affecter of the autism gene
Total hogwash

Old 01-31-2012, 10:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
Yup..the flu is not a one day event. I had the flu..out for a week and slept (or more like tossed and turned) for 5 days before even feeling a little bit better.

Yes, once you've had the flu, the real flu, then you know.
I used to laugh at people at work who had a sniffle and say they had the flu, I would tell them, you don't have the flu, you would be home in bed and very sick.

Old 01-31-2012, 11:32 AM

90,297 posts, read 120,875,960 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghostrider275452 View Post
You're right, the flu shot is at best guess work on what virus they think is going to invade us this year, but even if they don't get it exactly right, it still offers some protection.
True. According Denver Children's Hospital, the vaccine this year is a good match. I'll see if I can find a link.

Old 01-31-2012, 01:49 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,875,960 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post
True. According Denver Children's Hospital, the vaccine this year is a good match. I'll see if I can find a link.
Found it!

http://www.childrenscolorado.org/pdf/Bug%20Watch.pdf

The good news is that the current flu vaccine seems well-matched to the currently-circulating virus strains, so this
year’s flu shot is likely to be a worthwhile investment!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies