Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 07-18-2011, 08:23 AM

38,578 posts, read 22,453,495 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Finn_Jarber View Post
I don't know. Are you going to tell me?

What did the GOP reps say? After all, they approved it with smiles on their faces? They have approved the raises every time a Repubican has asked for them, and apparently they oppose them when a Democrat requests for it. What does that tell you?
Back when deficit spending was $100-$300 billion a year, it was not so bad, now we spend over $100 billion in deficits each month, so attitudes towards deficit spending and accumulating debt have changed.

Old 07-18-2011, 08:24 AM

38,664 posts, read 26,476,218 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Finn_Jarber View Post
Well, they broke it down to separate parties involved.

And then they didn't say why they were disappointed.

I'm disappointed with Republicans because they haven't show any serious interest in cutting spending. That doesn't mean I approve of the increased spending the Democrats would implement, but I didn't send Democrats to DC to do a job. I sent Republicans there to do that.

Old 07-18-2011, 08:27 AM

86,052 posts, read 84,717,466 times
What is going to happen is nothing is going to get cut and the debt ceiling will be raised just like it has in the past.

Then they say they'll just work on the budget and do the cuts there. But we never saw a 2010 budget so this can will also just get kicked down the road.

Just wait and see. There's only 15 days left. There's no way you can detail a plan with viable cuts to happen almost immediately to cover our shortfall..it's impossible. No one in DC knows how to cut or approach cutting. Geithner is using pension money right now to pay government bills.

So, they'll just raise the ceiling high enough that this won't come back to make headlines til after 2012 elections.

Old 07-18-2011, 08:32 AM

76,971 posts, read 47,826,985 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by florida.bob View Post
Here, it's been around quite a while. Congress voted it down, now Congress must create their plan. That is how the process works.

Obama's spending plan: Where the cuts are - Feb. 14, 2011
It also sounds like they are putting the $4T "Big Deal" plan back on the table.

Old 07-18-2011, 08:33 AM

22,229 posts, read 17,905,976 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
What is going to happen is nothing is going to get cut and the debt ceiling will be raised just like it has in the past.

Then they say they'll just work on the budget and do the cuts there. But we never saw a 2010 budget so this can will also just get kicked down the road.

Just wait and see. There's only 15 days left. There's no way you can detail a plan with viable cuts to happen almost immediately to cover our shortfall..it's impossible. No one in DC knows how to cut or approach cutting. Geithner is using pension money right now to pay government bills.

So, they'll just raise the ceiling high enough that this won't come back to make headlines til after 2012 elections.
As the President wanted, the Debt Ceiling should not be an issue. Spending and taxes, yes, in separate negotiations. If some cuts do wind up included, so be it, but I think you are correct, the Debt Ceiling will be a clean raise. Once the politicos have milked all the campaign clips of their rhetoric, they will sign it.

Old 07-18-2011, 08:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wapasha View Post
Back when deficit spending was $100-$300 billion a year, it was not so bad, now we spend over $100 billion in deficits each month, so attitudes towards deficit spending and accumulating debt have changed.
It was not so bad? They DOUBLED the national debt. That is "not so bad"?????? It was the road to disaster, and now we are paying the price. It was bad then and it is bad now.

Old 07-18-2011, 08:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by momonkey View Post
And then they didn't say why they were disappointed.

I'm disappointed with Republicans because they haven't show any serious interest in cutting spending. That doesn't mean I approve of the increased spending the Democrats would implement, but I didn't send Democrats to DC to do a job. I sent Republicans there to do that.
Same here. I voted "R", and they gave me a bag full of #@!!$%

Old 07-18-2011, 08:39 AM

38,496 posts, read 25,905,241 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kevinm View Post
They are dissapointed with the GOP because they are not going far enough to take away Barry's keys to the company car.
So the goal of the GOP is not to fix the budget problems but to take down Obama.

Old 07-18-2011, 08:44 AM

38,496 posts, read 25,905,241 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shorebaby View Post
Too funny, please post a link, and Obama saying so doesn't count.
Quote:
Nearly three quarters of those surveyed in a new poll by The New York Times and CBS News said they would approve of increasing taxes on households earning $250,000 or more a year to bring down the deficit, while just 24% said they disapprove of this step.
Most Americans Want Higher Taxes for Rich | Taxes | Money/Investing | Mainstreet

Now the next step out of the right-wing play book is to discredit the poll as if those people do not deserve to be heard.

Old 07-18-2011, 08:44 AM

38,578 posts, read 22,453,495 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by florida.bob View Post
As the President wanted, the Debt Ceiling should not be an issue. Spending and taxes, yes, in separate negotiations. If some cuts do wind up included, so be it, but I think you are correct, the Debt Ceiling will be a clean raise. Once the politicos have milked all the campaign clips of their rhetoric, they will sign it.
Just about everyone agrees we need to raise the debt ceiling for the short term, until we can cut the budget and spending sufficiently.

As to raising taxes, keep in mind that the Bush tax cuts are due to expire, and 0bamaCare adds billions in tax increases, so we will have dramatic tax increases soon enough. 0bama just wants to add even more taxes on top of the close to 8% tax hikes we will see in the very near future.

The current top federal rate of 35% is scheduled to rise to 39.6% in 2013 (plus one-to-two points from the phase-out of itemized deductions for singles making above $200,000 and couples earning above $250,000). The payroll tax is 12.4% for Social Security (capped at $106,000), and 2.9% for Medicare (no income cap).

So, for a family in high-cost California taxed at the top federal rate, the expiration of the Bush tax cuts in 2013, the 0.9% increase in payroll taxes to fund ObamaCare, and the president's proposal to eventually uncap Social Security payroll taxes would lift its combined marginal tax rate to a stunning 58.4%.

Get Ready for a 70% Marginal Tax Rate

We have some huge tax increases on the way, so why is 0bama acting like we need more tax increases? We could slash 20% of government spending just by eliminating the increases 0bama created since he took office.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies