Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-18-2011, 11:14 AM

76,971 posts, read 47,786,309 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by workingclasshero View Post
actually all three (actually all four) clintin, bush2, and obama (and daddy bush also) are all progressive GLOBALISTS (fascist marxism)
You can throw Reagan in there too since he was pro bailout as well. There is problem when people use terms like 'facist marxist' and try to associate people with the term. Obviously none of them were facist marxists.

Old 07-18-2011, 11:21 AM

12,906 posts, read 15,701,676 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by workingclasshero View Post
Chris,

there was NO PLAN..NEVER was ANY detal released

NOT ONE TIME did it show (for example) a 10% cut in defense, a cut in DOT, a reorg of the DOE, etc

all it was, was TALK...you can say 4 tillion all day, but if you never release a detail. then thats all it is..talk

we need MASSIVE cuts, we have about 2.3-2.7 trillion coming in( a tax increase( on the top bracket) will only bring it up to 2.4-2.8) yet the SPENDING for the last 3 years (and obamas projections though 2016) show a 3.6-3.8 trillion in spending...that is a 1 trillion to 1.6 trillion dollar DEFICT...and that is just the "on-budget" spending( doesnt count the 'off-budget' spending of emergencies, 'new' foreign aid (haiti, pakistan) etc)....cutting 400-500 bilion of of a trillion dollar plus deficit is not enough......I dont care which 'side' it comes from......the repugs are coming up short as well

we need REAL CUTS...not talk
Of course we need real cuts. I guess my point here is that, if this was just a proposal, I never heard anyone from the GOP criticizing that aspect of it. During these debt talks, it appears that there won't be any detailed "plans" that are going to come out. They are going to come up these proposals, get a basic agreement, and then I guess go behind and hammer it out. That's just my impression. So, that's why I'm not getting this nitpicking on plan/proposal at this point.

Please don't misunderstand me to think that I am all up on defending anyone in this mess. I just want to point out, very literally, that at least Congress was not pissed that this wasn't a "real plan." It was good enough to negotiate with. I think that's all we're going to get from both sides for now.

Old 07-18-2011, 11:43 AM

77,771 posts, read 105,041,362 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Finn_Jarber View Post
Poll: 71% shun GOP handling of debt crisis - Political Hotsheet - CBS News

Poll: 71% shun GOP handling of debt crisis

Americans are unimpressed with their political leaders' handling of the debt ceiling crisis, with a new CBS News poll showing a majority disapprove of all the involved parties' conduct, but Republicans in Congress fare the worst, with just 21 percent backing their intransigent resistance to raising taxes.

Others don't fare too well either
like all polls it depends on how the questions are asked and who is being polled, most polls are totally inaccurate. How many of us have ever gotten that phone call? Not many....Right now, I don't think anyone knows what to think: those who disapprove on the handling on the part of the Republicans mostly fall into 2 catagories: the libs who disapprove of everything the Republicans do and those so far over to the right that nothing anyone could do would please them at this stage. The rest of us, have mixed feelings all the way around.

Nita

Old 07-18-2011, 11:49 AM

86,052 posts, read 84,668,587 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChristineVA View Post
Of course we need real cuts. I guess my point here is that, if this was just a proposal, I never heard anyone from the GOP criticizing that aspect of it. During these debt talks, it appears that there won't be any detailed "plans" that are going to come out. They are going to come up these proposals, get a basic agreement, and then I guess go behind and hammer it out. That's just my impression. So, that's why I'm not getting this nitpicking on plan/proposal at this point.

Please don't misunderstand me to think that I am all up on defending anyone in this mess. I just want to point out, very literally, that at least Congress was not pissed that this wasn't a "real plan." It was good enough to negotiate with. I think that's all we're going to get from both sides for now.
There were several. I saw a video of one of the new Congressmen saying that Obama never sent any details to Congress.

Do you think that is going to top the media news ?

If there are no details what do you "negotiate" ?
$400 billion when we are in the hole over $1 trillion is not even a good proposal.

Old 07-18-2011, 11:51 AM

32,832 posts, read 19,551,015 times
shut the government down.

pay off the debt, and start over

Old 07-18-2011, 11:56 AM

15,912 posts, read 20,243,202 times
WOW! A CBS poll taken by employees of CBS showing 71% disapprove of Republican Congressmen backing their resistance to raising taxes.

What a surprise

/sarcasm

Old 07-18-2011, 11:57 AM

86,052 posts, read 84,668,587 times
Geeze..most Americans have no clue. They listen to 10 minutes of soundbites off the MSM and then answer poll questions.

Old 07-18-2011, 11:59 AM

38,651 posts, read 26,455,472 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gurbie View Post
New CBS poll shows just 21% of people surveyed approve of the way the GOP is handling the debt ceiling "crisis", vs 43% for Obama.

We'll see a week of posturing by the GOP, including a meaningless House vote on a so-called "cut, cap, and balance" bill.

Then, Congress will either vote to raise the debt ceiling (that is, to pay our bills), or, in an act of unmitigated political cowardace, attempt to abdicate that constitutional responsibility to Obama (Dont say they won't do it- McConnel already proposed to do just that).

Poll: 71% shun GOP handling of debt crisis - Political Hotsheet - CBS News

Doesn't say why they disapprove.

Old 07-18-2011, 12:01 PM

12,906 posts, read 15,701,676 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
If there are no details what do you "negotiate" ?
$400 billion when we are in the hole over $1 trillion is not even a good proposal.
Then if that is the case I expect Cantor to come out and say "We walked out of the "grand deal" because there was nothing to negotiate, there were not real cuts proposed, there was nothing to talk about."

But he didn't say that. He basically said that they rejected the plan because they will not buy into tax increases. If there was nothing for them to negotiate on he should have shouted that from the rooftops and expose the Democrats lacking plan. But he didn't.

Old 07-18-2011, 12:21 PM

44,882 posts, read 33,346,730 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boompa View Post
The responsibility to do something still lies with the house of Representatives and Mr Boehner. If we default he will pass Newt gingrich as most incompitent Speaker ever.
It appears that you have been reading from a fairly new progressive written history book. Huh?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies