Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 07-19-2011, 04:38 PM

1,378 posts, read 1,397,419 times

Advertisements

Since when did the GOP care about what most Americans think?

Old 07-19-2011, 04:38 PM

5,767 posts, read 5,030,439 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by southbel View Post
How did we segue a debt ceiling discussion into a health insurance one?

It's City-Data...you gotta roll with it. It comes full circle in time.

Old 07-19-2011, 04:58 PM

5,767 posts, read 5,030,439 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChristineVA View Post
Exactly!

This link from FactCheck.org states that the rising costs in premiums are due to rising healthcare costs. Your friend's example of "fee for service" medical care not being in the best interest of the patient demonstrates cruellly how they are making those bucks.
The Truth About Health Insurance Premiums | FactCheck.org

It's nice that we can find common ground, as people with common sense should be able to do. President Obama singled this point out because they wanted to do a hip replacement on the grandmother who raised him, even though she was, like my friend, terminally ill with cancer. Preventing this kind of abuse of the system would save the consumer, but undercut the profit magin for some. Fraud is epidemic, and I worked in hospitals long enough to know what incredible amounts we pay as patients for simple things...many times what is reasonable. If I sounded snarky, it's anger, frustration, and still the grieving process. I try to be mellow!
On topic, Bush raised the debt ceiling 7 times; Obama isn't quite up to his record yet.

Old 07-19-2011, 05:28 PM

11,011 posts, read 11,070,526 times
Obamacare does nothing for what concerns most Americans - healthcare costs.

But, back to the debt ceiling. I keep seeing people reference Bush and his calls to raise the debt ceiling, seven times, I think. This reminds me of when I was a child and my mother would say just because others are doing it, doesn't make it right. I'm glad Americans finally woke up and realized we are spending ourselves into a financial black hole. Maybe it was the utter collapse of our economy or maybe its their dislike of Obama, but whatever the reason, it's a GOOD thing that Americans are paying attention and demanding the excessive spending cease.

I simply cannot understand the rationale of wanting to spend more given the amount of debt we are facing. If you are in support of more spending, when is enough enough? What number would finally make you want to stop spending?

Old 07-19-2011, 05:36 PM

86,052 posts, read 84,737,596 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by southbel View Post
Obamacare does nothing for what concerns most Americans - healthcare costs.

But, back to the debt ceiling. I keep seeing people reference Bush and his calls to raise the debt ceiling, seven times, I think. This reminds me of when I was a child and my mother would say just because others are doing it, doesn't make it right. I'm glad Americans finally woke up and realized we are spending ourselves into a financial black hole. Maybe it was the utter collapse of our economy or maybe its their dislike of Obama, but whatever the reason, it's a GOOD thing that Americans are paying attention and demanding the excessive spending cease.

I simply cannot understand the rationale of wanting to spend more given the amount of debt we are facing. If you are in support of more spending, when is enough enough? What number would finally make you want to stop spending?
With our government..maybe that number is "infinity".
Obama wants a $2.5T raise in the ceiling so this won't come back to haunt him til after 2012.

Old 07-19-2011, 05:56 PM

8,560 posts, read 11,247,568 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Finn_Jarber View Post
Poll: 71% shun GOP handling of debt crisis - Political Hotsheet - CBS News

Poll: 71% shun GOP handling of debt crisis

Americans are unimpressed with their political leaders' handling of the debt ceiling crisis, with a new CBS News poll showing a majority disapprove of all the involved parties' conduct, but Republicans in Congress fare the worst, with just 21 percent backing their intransigent resistance to raising taxes.

Others don't fare too well either
I fully support the conservative intransigent resistance to raising taxes and as soon as they cave and agree to raising taxes and spending, I will be done with them, totally. Kaput. Never again. Republicans are dead in the water and deserve no respect or vote.

Don't get me wrong... I think less of Democrats.

Old 07-19-2011, 06:01 PM

90,295 posts, read 121,161,091 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NHartphotog View Post
But WHY are we disappointed?

Because they haven't gone nearly far enough in slashing government spending.
Isn't accepting "half a loaf" the essence of compromise? These TPers who won't compromise are going to end up with egg on their faces. And you have to start somewhere.

Old 07-19-2011, 10:12 PM

2,847 posts, read 2,533,971 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Finn_Jarber View Post
Majority were independents. Is that a bad thing? Do you really want to see a poll where only Republicans or Dems answer questions? What good would it be?

73% of independents disapproved and 17% approve the way GOP is handling the issue, and that should be a HUGE red flag for GOP.

Do you approve or disapprove of the way Republicans in Congress are handling the current negotiations on the debt ceiling?

Answer.... Total Rep Dem Ind
=======================
Approve .....21...42.. 11 ..17
Disapprove .71 ..51.. 82.. 73
Wake up, how about an equal representation, or would that be too much to ask?

Old 07-20-2011, 08:14 AM

28 posts, read 38,955 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimMe View Post
I'll only be disappointed in the Republicans if they cave on the issue of allowing the federal government to borrow even more money.
I'd bet nowadays with everything global, most countries probably borrow $$ from each other. We only really hear/talk about our own respective countries until some other country blows up, (by defaulting??). I don't know; I'm just a blue-collar worker's wife, but I dont feel ANY of our politicians were sent to D.C. to say/do things that put real fear into the hearts and minds of maybe 75% of the country. "MY WAY OR THE HIGHWAY" thinking was left to monarchs, dictators, and tyrants, wasn't it? I thought democracy was the epitome of compromise, but who pays me to think; I'm just a regular guys wife. )

Old 07-20-2011, 08:17 AM

28 posts, read 38,955 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post
Isn't accepting "half a loaf" the essence of compromise? These TPers who won't compromise are going to end up with egg on their faces. And you have to start somewhere.
AMEN!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies