Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-19-2011, 08:30 AM

76,971 posts, read 47,716,928 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by southbel View Post
Did the poll include if they approved or disapproved of the way Democrats in Congress were handling the negotiations on the debt ceiling? I would be willing to bet the Democrats do not get better marks on this. I see it as a frustration with everyone involved. 2012 is going to end up with which choice is the lesser of the two evils in the opinion of a lot of Americans.
Yes, it did as a matter of fact. It also inculded how people rated Obama's contrinution. None of them got positive ratings, but GOP fared worst of the bunch.

Old 07-19-2011, 08:38 AM

11,011 posts, read 11,042,117 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Finn_Jarber View Post
Yes, it did as a matter of fact. It also inculded how people rated Obama's contrinution. None of them got positive ratings, but GOP fared worst of the bunch.
I could see why, but yes, I also saw they all did poorly. The GOP was voted in during the midterm election to perform miracles of sorts. Stop the spending, increase jobs, and not raise taxes; all while only having one house of Congress. Now we have some GOP members talking about performing politics as usual, trading a deal now for a deal later type of thing (e.g. McConnell plan). I can't imagine right leaning voters being happy with that at all. In addition, there seems to be too willing an attitude to shift away from meaningful spending cuts to symbolic spending cuts, which is really all that Obama is offering.

If the Democrats actually want to retain leadership, then they need to actually show leadership and offer a concrete plan. Thus far, their position has been to simply knock holes in other's plans. How is that leadership?

Old 07-19-2011, 02:20 PM

12,642 posts, read 15,619,666 times
Quote:
The GOP was voted in during the midterm election to perform miracles of sorts. Stop the spending, increase jobs, and not raise taxes; all while only having one house of Congress.
lol...

No. They weren't.

None of these would be considered a miracle.

Old 07-19-2011, 02:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by walidm View Post
lol...

No. They weren't.

None of these would be considered a miracle.
With Democrats opposing them with a vehemence that boggles the mind, yeah, I would consider it a miracle if they were able to get it done with just the House.

Old 07-19-2011, 02:30 PM

12,642 posts, read 15,619,666 times
Quote:
With Democrats opposing them with a vehemence that boggles the mind, yeah, I would consider it a miracle if they were able to get it done with just the House.

lol...

Interesting what passes for a miracle these days.

Old 07-19-2011, 02:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by walidm View Post
lol...

Interesting what passes for a miracle these days.
Yes, tongue in cheek there, but I think the point was made.

Old 07-19-2011, 03:10 PM

5,767 posts, read 5,022,122 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jojajn View Post
So the goal of the GOP is not to fix the budget problems but to take down Obama.

Yep...Mitch Mac clearly said it was their job to make him a one-term president, and that's all the work they intend to do. Of course, they're still collecting their paychecks and benefiting from the type of excellent health care system that they apparently think is too good for the rest of us..a pretty sweet gig if you can one. Yet I hear no complaints from the right about our "Welfare Congress."

Old 07-19-2011, 03:13 PM

86,052 posts, read 84,589,524 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Evenstar51 View Post
Yep...Mitch Mac clearly said it was their job to make him a one-term president, and that's all the work they intend to do. Of course, they're still collecting their paychecks and benefiting from the type of excellent health care system that they apparently think is too good for the rest of us..a pretty sweet gig if you can one. Yet I hear no complaints from the right about our "Welfare Congress."
The right were totally against Obamacare and there's plenty of posts in this forum going back pointing out that the unions and Congress had exempted themselves so how good could Obamacare have been.

It was the Dems that totally ignored that point and embraced Obamacare.
Boy did you turn that one around but quick. Go back to old posts and see..the Dems were just fine and dandy with the unions/Congress exempt.

Old 07-19-2011, 03:23 PM

12,906 posts, read 15,681,741 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Evenstar51 View Post
Of course, they're still collecting their paychecks and benefiting from the type of excellent health care system that they apparently think is too good for the rest of us..a pretty sweet gig if you can one. Yet I hear no complaints from the right about our "Welfare Congress."
Can you tell me what Congress' excellent health care system is? How is it different from the other federal employees (who have regular health insurance like most people who have it through their employer).

Old 07-19-2011, 03:26 PM

5,767 posts, read 5,022,122 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
The right were totally against Obamacare and there's plenty of posts in this forum going back pointing out that the unions and Congress had exempted themselves so how good could Obamacare have been.

It was the Dems that totally ignored that point and embraced Obamacare.
Boy did you turn that one around but quick. Go back to old posts and see..the Dems were just fine and dandy with the unions/Congress exempt.

Health care reform was a cornerstone of Obama's platform, and many voted for him for that very reason...it took more than simply the Democratic vote for him to win so handily. Of course the right was against it...it doesn't benefit the AMA, big pharma or the insurance companies. But thanks to the idiots who put ideology before the well-being of their fellow Americans, we'll never know what Obamacare would have been like.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies