Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-21-2011, 04:00 PM

15,706 posts, read 11,780,658 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calvinist View Post
No. I think a "Civil Right" is something that isn't based on an immoral behavior.
Well, then why is your breed of religion deemed a "civil right" since religious extremism is immoral ?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-21-2011, 04:01 PM

15,706 posts, read 11,780,658 times
Quote:
What part of "Private establishment" do you not understand? They can reserve the right to serve whomever they want. And there is not a dang thing you can do about it. That's what this country is all about.

You don't like it? Move to Canada. We don't want you here if you don't want to respect my right to private ownership.
No, they can't. The Inn is a business and it agreed to state and federal laws when it signed the business charter. One of those laws, is Vermont's anti-discrimination law. Businesses are not allowed to discriminate there, regardless of who owns them.

Old 07-21-2011, 04:07 PM

11,011 posts, read 11,029,970 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DC at the Ridge View Post
Once again, what services? Were they asked to bless the marriage? No. What services, specifically, violate religious tenets? They can't say that they are just opposed to homosexuality, since they have publicly stated that they rent out rooms to homosexuals to sleep in (and do what everyone else does in beds in inns/hotels/motels). So homosexuals can have sex in their rented rooms, but not wedding receptions? Because of the services provided? Changing the sheets after a couple has sex-okay, filling the water glass of homosexual diner-okay, but a sit-down dinner and dance-not okay?
Would not the service be hosting the wedding? Why must they have to only be performing specific acts for it to be against their religious beliefs? They did not discriminate against homosexuals for only being homosexual as they have offered rooms to homosexuals in the past. It was what they deemed a religious ceremony, a wedding, that the owners' objected to hosting. Personally, I think hosting something indeed does require some substantive services in order to host an event. You seem to want to dissect it down to the minutae to determine what is and is not considered substantive. That's not the issue. The issue is whether requiring this inn to host a homosexual wedding is or is not a violation of the inn owner's civil rights and thus, does the law in Vermont violate the inn owner's civil rights?

Old 07-21-2011, 04:08 PM

6,484 posts, read 6,619,669 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fiyero View Post
Well, then why is your breed of religion deemed a "civil right" since religious extremism is immoral ?
I'm not extreme. I don't try to force my beliefs on others like you do.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fiyero View Post
No, they can't. The Inn is a business and it agreed to state and federal laws when it signed the business charter. One of those laws, is Vermont's anti-discrimination law. Businesses are not allowed to discriminate there, regardless of who owns them.

Now, that is an actual real argument. I'd be curious to see the legal documentation regarding that. If the business signed an agreement agreeing that they don't have the right to refuse service, you might have a legit argument.

Old 07-21-2011, 04:12 PM

11,185 posts, read 6,511,514 times
Quote:
What part of "Private establishment" do you not understand? They can reserve the right to serve whomever they want. And there is not a dang thing you can do about it. That's what this country is all about.

You don't like it? Move to Canada. We don't want you here if you don't want to respect my right to private ownership.
Have you been asleep for the last 50, 60 years.

Old 07-21-2011, 04:14 PM

6,484 posts, read 6,619,669 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jazzarama View Post
Have you been asleep for the last 50, 60 years.
Nope. But I do believe in the Constitution--which liberals don't seem to believe in.

Old 07-21-2011, 05:10 PM

11,185 posts, read 6,511,514 times
Quote:
Nope. But I do believe in the Constitution--which liberals don't seem to believe in.
I don't see a lot of conservatives trying to repeal the 1964 Civil Rights Act, so blaming it on liberals is knee-jerk partisanship.

Your view of the consitution is up to you, but the ussc has ruled against your view.

Old 07-21-2011, 05:17 PM

18,358 posts, read 26,507,138 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jazzarama View Post
I don't see a lot of conservatives trying to repeal the 1964 Civil Rights Act, so blaming it on liberals is knee-jerk partisanship.

Your view of the consitution is up to you, but the ussc has ruled against your view.
This has nothing to do with the civil rights act of 1964. This is a state pushing homosexuality on people religiously opposed to it. The same state handing 30 day sentences to pedophiles who molest children (this state is full of nuts).

Old 07-21-2011, 07:08 PM

6,175 posts, read 12,943,960 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Smash255 View Post
Under the law a Business is NOT allowed to discriminate. PERIOD. There is no exception under the law that allows a Business to bare someone for being black, being a female, bring gay, etc.
Actually, that's not true at all. A business is allowed to discriminate in all instances and for any reason EXCEPT against those protected classes. You can bar someone for being a Yankees fan, but not for being black. You can refuse me service because I'm a real estate agent, but not because I'm Irish. Protected class laws do NOT promote equality, they provide additional protections for those classes than the laws provide for most of us. Why do we allow that?

Old 07-21-2011, 07:09 PM

Location: Currently I physically reside on the 3rd planet from the sun
2,220 posts, read 1,878,859 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Keegan View Post
Actually, that's not true at all. A business is allowed to discriminate in all instances and for any reason EXCEPT against those protected classes. You can bar someone for being a Yankees fan, but not for being black. You can refuse me service because I'm a real estate agent, but not because I'm Irish. Protected class laws do NOT promote equality, they provide additional protections for those classes than the laws provide for most of us. Why do we allow that?
Thank You!
Well Said!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies