Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-22-2011, 02:19 PM

3,849 posts, read 3,752,484 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calvinist View Post
Not at all. I have zero cares about what Adam and Steve do in their own home. But what they choose to do is not equivalent to the skin color someone is born with.
And when has anyone said it is? The point is, my race, my sexual orientation, my religious beliefs, etc all have no effect at all on the life of another. So why should I or anyone else be denied any service or any thing else because of any of them. I'm straight; I wouldn't expect (or accept) a gay hotel owner to refuse me a room just because I'm not gay, so why should gays expect and/or accept a straight hotel owner doing that to them just because they are?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-22-2011, 02:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by southbel View Post
And that's the heart of my question. What if providing those services is in violation of a person's religious beliefs. Now you are weighing one person's civil rights against another. The courts are asked to do this often so this would not be a unique case in that respect. The uniqueness in this particular case is if sexual orientation is a civil right. In Vermont, it is, but what if the inn owners sue the state of Vermont, saying they violated their civil rights based upon discrimination of religious beliefs? So again, has the state of Vermont violated the inn's owners civil rights?
As has been asked several times over the last couple of days in this thread, How does renting the hall, providing coffee urns and maybe providing food 'violate' anyone's religious beliefs?

Old 07-22-2011, 02:39 PM

Quote:
If a couple thinks that they can sue to get a private establishment to do something that goes against the belief system of the proprietor, why wouldn't they think they can sue to force a church to go against their beliefs?

Prior to this lawsuit had such an establishment been sued based on sexual activity?
The suit is not "based on sexual activity"! It is based on the Inn's proprietors' failure to follow the law.

Old 07-22-2011, 02:46 PM

6,175 posts, read 12,939,084 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MsMcQ LV View Post
The suit is not "based on sexual activity"! It is based on the Inn's proprietors' failure to follow the law.
And the government's failure to allow business owners to do business with, or NOT do business with, whomever they choose.

Old 07-22-2011, 02:49 PM

Quote:
What part of "Private establishment" do you not understand? They can reserve the right to serve whomever they want. And there is not a dang thing you can do about it. That's what this country is all about.

You don't like it? Move to Canada. We don't want you here if you don't want to respect my right to private ownership.
What part of "an establishment providing gods and/or services to the public" do you not understand? Vermont laws says if you own an establishment that provides goods or services to the public, you cannot discriminate.

Old 07-22-2011, 02:55 PM

Quote:
Now, that is an actual real argument. I'd be curious to see the legal documentation regarding that. If the business signed an agreement agreeing that they don't have the right to refuse service, you might have a legit argument.
They have a business license. Part of obtaining that license is agreeing to follow all local, state and federal laws concerning that business. Just like 15 years ago when I held a real estate license, I had to agree to follow all laws regarding the sale of real estate in the state I was in at that time. Had I not agreed, I wouldn't have been given that license.

Old 07-22-2011, 02:58 PM

Quote:
Nope. But I do believe in the Constitution--which liberals don't seem to believe in.
That has to be one of the dumbest statements you have ever made. Could you tell this liberal just what parts of the Constitution I don't believe in? Because I honestly can't think of one.

Old 07-22-2011, 03:08 PM

11,186 posts, read 6,507,037 times
Quote:
As has been asked several times over the last couple of days in this thread, How does renting the hall, providing coffee urns and maybe providing food 'violate' anyone's religious beliefs?
If they believe their god, holy book, and religious leaders instruct that marriage is a holy relationship between a woman and man, assisting lesbians in getting married would violate their religious beliefs.

You can trivialize the innkeepers' role, but they've apparently stopped doing any weddings to stick to their religious beliefs.

Old 07-22-2011, 03:33 PM

3,550 posts, read 2,556,641 times
Quote:
How does renting the hall, providing coffee urns and maybe providing food 'violate' anyone's religious beliefs?
in true Judaism
1. gay marriage's and solemnization ceremony's are strictly forbidden
2. there is a principle that you can't help someone do a sin and that too is strictly forbidden
3. the act of renting a hall for a so called same gender marriage ceremony is much worse then someone who didn't light hanuka candles.

In some people who don't believe in religion should get out of the business of telling religious people the rules of their religion. As an added point how come when trying to pass these so called marriage laws these same people try to claim that these sort of laws suits won't happen.

Old 07-22-2011, 03:35 PM

18,358 posts, read 26,495,840 times
Quote:
You can word it however you wish to downplay things, but I already posted a link on Catholic beliefs concerning this. You're just unwilling to accept people have different beliefs than you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies