Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-23-2011, 12:51 AM

10,181 posts, read 10,258,599 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fiyero View Post
Many people add the caveat "Conservative/Fundamentalist" Christian. As a Messianic myself who beliefs in Yeshua and God, I have no problem with what Christianity was supposed to be. My objections are to this 19th-20th Century joke of an organized movement called "Fundamentalism" that opposes intelligence, education, and rationality in favor of allegorical myths, judgement, condemnation, and self-righteousness.

That brand of Christianity is quite destructive and very anti Christ. All my oppositions to Christianity are based on the extremist version of it, not the religion as a whole.
Thanks for clarifying.

I don't like the fundies either.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-23-2011, 12:52 AM

23,654 posts, read 17,511,041 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glitch View Post
That would depend on the context of the display. If the religious display is solely for the purpose of advocating one particular religious belief, then yes, it should be removed. If the religious display is for the purpose of including all religions, or had a completely non-religious context, then no.

A perfect example of a religious display that, when taken into context, has absolutely no religious intent is the mural displayed within the US Supreme Court building. That mural depicts Moses holding the Ten Commandments, but he is included among depictions of other "law-givers" from other cultures, including non-religious law-givers and law-givers from other religions. Obviously (at least it should be) the mural, when taken into context, has absolutely nothing to do with government advocating for a specific religion.
Then why tell the judge who posted the ten commandants in his courtroom to have it removed? You could go out down the hall and see the ten commandants on the wall.

By the way who were these other law-givers? Other cultures?

Old 07-23-2011, 12:56 AM

2,023 posts, read 5,313,112 times
I get people knocking on my door to try to get me to go to their church nonstop. Anyone else have that happen? I'm not religious and don't believe in any god and never will and never will I go to their church. They are determined though and always friendly and I am friendly to them.

Old 07-23-2011, 01:00 AM

954 posts, read 1,280,965 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by janelle144 View Post
Then why tell the judge who posted the ten commandants in his courtroom to have it removed? You could go out down the hall and see the ten commandants on the wall.

I think the context part of Glitch's statement might have something to do with it.

The 10 commandments taken by themselves do not give context as to why they're there - whereas the mural that incorporates it into something not having to do with the advocacy of a particular religion does not rise to the level of government endorsement of religion.

Check out County of Allegheny, that's a very good case for putting it in context. There's also the Lemon test.

Old 07-23-2011, 01:01 AM

17,823 posts, read 23,452,578 times
Quote:
Because of the context, as I said. Just because it is a religious display on government property does not automatically mean it must be removed. As long as the context of the religious display is not advocating a particular religion, there is no problem. A judge that posts the Ten Commandments in his court, in the absence of any other context, is advocating a specific religion, and that is a no, no. Now if that judge were to include similar phrases from the Hindu Vedas, and from the Muslim Koran, and from other religious texts, then it would (or should) be obvious that the judge is not advocating for a specific religion, and it should be allowed.

Old 07-23-2011, 01:08 AM

17,823 posts, read 23,452,578 times
Quote:
Courtroom friezes -
The South Wall Frieze includes figures of lawgivers from the ancient world and includes Menes, Hammurabi, Moses, Solomon, Lycurgus, Solon, Draco, Confucius, and Augustus.

The North Wall Frieze shows lawgivers from the Middle Ages on and includes representations of Justinian, Muhammad, Charlemagne, John of England, Louis IX of France, Hugo Grotius, Sir William Blackstone, John Marshall, and Napoleon.

Old 07-23-2011, 01:12 AM

Quote:
Because of the context, as I said. Just because it is a religious display on government property does not automatically mean it must be removed. As long as the context of the religious display is not advocating a particular religion, there is no problem. A judge that posts the Ten Commandments in his court, in the absence of any other context, is advocating a specific religion, and that is a no, no. Now if that judge were to include similar phrases from the Hindu Vedas, and from the Muslim Koran, and from other religious texts, then it would (or should) be obvious that the judge is not advocating for a specific religion, and it should be allowed.
How does one know if it is advocating or not? The Ten Commandants is Jewish/Christian after all.

Old 07-23-2011, 01:13 AM

Quote:
Courtroom friezes -
The South Wall Frieze includes figures of lawgivers from the ancient world and includes Menes, Hammurabi, Moses, Solomon, Lycurgus, Solon, Draco, Confucius, and Augustus.

The North Wall Frieze shows lawgivers from the Middle Ages on and includes representations of Justinian, Muhammad, Charlemagne, John of England, Louis IX of France, Hugo Grotius, Sir William Blackstone, John Marshall, and Napoleon.
Thank you.

Old 07-23-2011, 01:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 73-79 ford fan View Post
I get people knocking on my door to try to get me to go to their church nonstop. Anyone else have that happen? I'm not religious and don't believe in any god and never will and never will I go to their church. They are determined though and always friendly and I am friendly to them.
I get telemarketers phoning me all the time and I will never want what they are selling. Some will though.

Old 07-23-2011, 01:17 AM

44,259 posts, read 64,365,577 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by renault View Post
It's disturbing how the mainstream media have practically declared war against a certain group of peaceful Americans. If they slandered Jews or Muslims in the same manner as they do Christians would that be acceptable? Why the double-standard?

Liberals Launch Christian Witch Trials

Huffington Post - Crazed Christians, Two Lifesized Looney Tunes

Media Bias Against Conservative Christians

The Media and Hollywood War Against Christianity

Is The Media Bias Against Christians?
It's backlash.

If christians were all that peaceful and benign, they wouldn't constantly be attempting to legislate their questionable version of 'morality' into law, thereby oppressing a lot of people.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies