Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-29-2011, 08:27 PM

6,484 posts, read 6,619,669 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fiyero View Post
The Supreme Court would probably disagree with you. The original wording of that clause of the 14th Amendment applied strictly to Civil War debt. The Supreme Court has interpreted it more broadly since then.
Perhaps. Is Skippy willing to test that?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-29-2011, 08:29 PM

15,706 posts, read 11,780,658 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Calvinist View Post
Perhaps. Is Skippy willing to test that?
If it comes down to losing the full faith and credit of the US or testing the 14th Amendment, most likely. Obama has already said he'll sacrifice his career to fix this. If Clinton were still in office, he said he'd do it, and Clinton is the best president we've had in quite a while.

Old 07-29-2011, 08:30 PM

Quote:
If it comes down to losing the full faith and credit of the US or testing the 14th Amendment, most likely. Obama has already said he'll sacrifice his career to fix this.
Then I can only hope. I'd rather see him throw away his 2nd term than to see the Repubs waiver on their convictions.

Old 07-29-2011, 08:31 PM

23,416 posts, read 37,017,268 times
Quote:
Then I can only hope. I'd rather see him throw away his 2nd term than to see the Repubs waiver on their convictions.
*facepalm*

Old 07-29-2011, 08:31 PM

44,882 posts, read 33,285,332 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by icequeen2008 View Post
Michele Bachmann is a nut case and will never be president. I am ashamed she represents our state. I did not vote for her.
Do you live in her Congressional district? Maybe that is a good reason you didn't vote for her.

Old 07-29-2011, 08:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kshe95girl View Post
*facepalm*
Why? I think it's going to get raised either way, to be honest. I'd rather he be the scapegoat, to be brutally honest.

Old 07-29-2011, 08:34 PM

Quote:
Why? I think it's going to get raised either way, to be honest. I'd rather he be the scapegoat, to be brutally honest.
Perhaps you didnt read post #32?

Old 07-29-2011, 08:36 PM

Quote:
The President's job is to enforce the Constitution. Congress defaulting on our obligations by not raising the debt is a violation of the Constitution. The President is the only one with the capability to balance Congress' unconstitutional action. The Supreme Court has claimed the use of the 14th Amendment on this issue is fairly broad. Republicans would certainly be mad if he did it and would initiate impeachment proceedings, but it's not the act of a dictator. Someone has to stop Congress if they refuse to be responsible, otherwise they have exclusive power to completely destroy the US economy anytime they want with no oversight.
Young person, President Obama said about two weeks ago that his lawyers had determined that the 14th Amendment doesn't give him that power. Surely a lecturer on Constitution and his lawyers must know a little about this one. Yes, they did study it and they came out with the same ideas I have about that part of that amendment. I wonder who in the left came up with that idea.

Old 07-29-2011, 08:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by roysoldboy View Post
Young person, President Obama said about two weeks ago that his lawyers had determined that the 14th Amendment doesn't give him that power. Surely a lecturer on Constitution and his lawyers must know a little about this one. Yes, they did study it and they came out with the same ideas I have about that part of that amendment. I wonder who in the left came up with that idea.
Linkypoo, please?

Old 07-29-2011, 08:41 PM

Quote:
They never said he couldn't, they said he probably shouldn't do it. Only the Supreme Court has the authority to say he can't do it, and they haven't made that statement.
Are you one of those people who believe like one I answered last night when he said go ahead and do it and by the time the Supreme Court ruled it would have been done and too late to do anything? This wasn't the subject but you seem to think the same ideas apply.

In case you don't know the minute he attempted this would be one minute before the Republicans took it to a federal court and he would have to wait till it worked its way through the court system. Don't put all your trust in the Supreme Court since cases don't go directly to them.

Surely a Constitutional lecturer and his high powered lawyers could see that he couldn't get by with this.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies