Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-03-2011, 11:34 AM

9,101 posts, read 16,507,298 times

Advertisements

quote=Fiddlehead;20294755]This sounds like religion to me, not reasoning. Look around you. Are there any dams or hydroelectic facilities? Levees? Highways? Railroads? Airports? All are provided by government investment, and I would suspect you use most of them for free. And people were employed in your area to build them. It is the reality all around the world, except here. But we undertax our wealthiest citizens so they can buy politicians, play parlor games on Wall Street, and we keep hoping they will do things for us out of thankfulness. It is like waiting for the rapture.[/quote]

How were the railroads built back in the day? They were built by the private sector.

There are plenty of private roads and private airports. The government-- especially the FEDERAL government does not have a corner on building all infrastructure. The airports could be bought out by the airlines. You get the idea. That would end taxpayers having to pay for these things. We can pay when we actually USE an airport by flying in and out of one.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-03-2011, 11:35 AM

30,269 posts, read 18,830,423 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by steven_h View Post
My thought is that we should create an infrastructure program nationwide. Anyone on unemployment would become a part of the rebuilding, in one way or another, in order to cash a check. Instant shovel ready jobs.

What's your idea?
The only thing that is "shovel ready" from Washington would be shoveling up all the BS. Private industry creates long term jobs, not the Feds.

Old 08-03-2011, 01:33 PM

9,101 posts, read 16,507,298 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by no1brownsfan View Post
In other words too much red tape, and bureacracy!
DING DING DING DING!!!!!! You got it! The government has tied the hands of business (all except for the Fortune 50 companies who they are in bed with). The rest of the business world has been shackled and chained by new government regulations which are suffocating them and frightening them and making them not want to hire anyone.

So we may as well FORGET ABOUT ANY NEW SIGNIFICANT JOB CREATION until the government regulations are repealed.

This is ANOTHER reason why we need Ron Paul as he would encourage the repeal of these bad laws and regulations and would allow the free market to once again, work on its on without government interference.

Old 08-03-2011, 05:56 PM

3,292 posts, read 4,485,119 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by emilybh View Post
There are plenty of private roads and private airports. The government-- especially the FEDERAL government does not have a corner on building all infrastructure. The airports could be bought out by the airlines. You get the idea. That would end taxpayers having to pay for these things. We can pay
when we actually USE an airport by flying in and out of one.
The only reason those private airlines still exist is because they've been bailed out by the government multiple times. Most recently after 9/11. Senate approves $15 billion airline bailout - CNN

Old 08-03-2011, 07:26 PM

5,800 posts, read 6,588,409 times
Suspend all necessary EIRs for one year.....

Suspend implimentation of the Davis-Bacon Act, shaving 25% off the costs of all such projects.

Remove EPA chief and the nation's #2 job-killer (you-know-who is #1) Lisa Jackson.

I'm sure there are plenty others.

Old 08-03-2011, 07:38 PM

5,915 posts, read 4,825,150 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnPaul View Post
Only 7% of stimulus was spent on infrastructure.

The rest went to wallstreet and auto maker unions for future votes no doubt...Ask Wallstreet and the UAW union where the shovel ready jobs are at...
That's true. And the media is silent about this little fact.

Old 08-03-2011, 07:51 PM

9,317 posts, read 18,792,701 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by steven_h View Post
My thought is that we should create an infrastructure program nationwide. Anyone on unemployment would become a part of the rebuilding, in one way or another, in order to cash a check. Instant shovel ready jobs.

What's your idea?
Well I thought that Obama had the plan...at least he did the night before the election. He had all these shovel ready jobs and we did not need to do a thing except vote for him and his team. Waiting......waiting......waiting.

Another stimulous for infrastructure is not a good idea. Sorry, but there are only so many people out there that can use a shovel and way too many skilled people without jobs right now. Cut corporate taxes to the bone and see what happens. That seems to scare liberals because it may just work.

Old 08-03-2011, 08:11 PM

5,800 posts, read 6,588,409 times
You're right; liberals except for President Kennedy never believed in tax cuts, since they always spent that they could spend our tax dollars better than 'we the people' can.

And since Obama's crew of intellectuals with degrees from exalted bastions of higher education crawl back into academia with their reputations eternally obliterated (what are you waiting for Mr. Geithner and Helicopter Ben?), it's safe to say that Keynesian economics are dead forever.

Old 08-04-2011, 10:14 AM

7,540 posts, read 11,416,158 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by roysoldboy View Post
I don't know but Obama and his people sure as hell didn't either.

The problem with shovel ready jobs is that most of the jobs of that nature that existed in FDR's day aren't around any longer. Paying men to stand around leaning on shovels is nothing but make work and won't get a lot of construction done.

The biggest problem with that kind of job is that most of the road building jobs I see that call for hand work are handled by Immigrants of one kind or the other. Also, how many of the unemployed are wanting to work outside with their hands. I think very few. Also, you can't take a man off his chair under a desk and slap him in the seat of any kind of heavy machinery where al the jobs would have to be.

I don't think make work jobs like Obama was told about as shovel ready are around in large numbers and there aren't many people who want to work them when they are around.
I wish somebody would tell all of that to Chris Matthews. He keeps going on about how Obama needs to get "American workers" out there paving roads to stimulate the economy like FDR did.

Old 08-04-2011, 10:18 AM

7,871 posts, read 10,157,190 times
Bring back the CCC.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies