Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: If CCB had passed, would our Credit Rating have been cut?
Yes, it still would have. We're just in too deep. 55 36.18%
No. It would have shown we were serious about getting spending under control. 93 61.18%
I don't care, I want to keep spending like it's 1999. 4 2.63%
Voters: 152. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-09-2011, 10:19 AM

13,053 posts, read 12,988,069 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by le roi View Post
There's no slander, libel, or lies about that. Republicans are irrational on debt.

Do you see them cutting Medicare, which is far and away the biggest unfunded liability? No.

Do you see them raising revenues, which shrinks the decifits? No.

Without some combination of cutting Medicare and raising taxes, this talk of "cutting" is failing to achieve anything productive.
We can cut numerous programs that have nothing to do with those to start though. That is not to say we should not consider them (medicare, SS, etc...), but when you are reducing spending and creating a proper budget, you first focus on non-essentials, spending that has no drastic effect to the living situation. You cut regulatory bloat, inefficient programs, and many other areas. You start there, then you move into as you need to the larger more volatile topics. Last you can consider tax increases depending on if need. You have to cut before you raise taxes, this is simple common sense.

The democrats sought more spending and tax increases. That is irrational and irresponsible and when cuts were on the table, they wanted volatile programs like SS and Medicare as topics because it was leverage and fear tactic to push it. The same old lies and political rhetoric they are used to.

This article is not one where the Dems stated they were going to show the irrational nature of the republicans, but a statement of "painting" them as when one "paints", one is changing the actual color of what they paint from its original color. This is a political ploy and they are pushing it to the max here. They have the idiot masses confused and they are turning them against the actual common sense things we have to do to get things in order. They are playing politics just as they stated they would.

We have to cut. First we cut. We do not consider anything else until we have cut. Cutting is first and we do that as I said in a rational order. Cutting was never the intention of the dems, spending and taxing is.

If we tax business heavily, they will run out of country. If we tax the rich, they will do the same leaving only the middle class as the tax burden (to which they are unprepared to take on from the rich) to which will reduce them to a poor class.

Raising taxes only works if you create a healthy economic environment and we do not have one with all of the excessive programs, regulations, and intrusion by the government in the free market. You raise taxes in this situation without attending to the other first and it kills us all.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-09-2011, 10:20 AM

6,806 posts, read 5,696,249 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by enemy country View Post
can either of you read? The President of the s&p not POTUS damn!
reading was not a requirement during my school days.

Old 08-09-2011, 10:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TempesT68 View Post
There needs to be big cuts ...
Let us start there and we will see about the others... No other topic on the table, just cuts.

If all that can be came up with is "medicare, SS, and the like" as topics for cutting, then it has already became a political show with no interest in cuts in the first place. If you want to go after defense, you first have to stipulate a closing of a specific operation in order to justify the expense and balance it. Otherwise it is just sending out our soldiers unprepared and ill equipped.

You want cuts, so do I, lets pull out all of the agencies and have them report their spending, let us truly see where money is going and then let us go down the list one by one removing each and every additional office, commission, program, funding, etc... until we have cut 60% or more of those things. Then we can move on to the other areas.

CUT FIRST, or no deal.

This is what was brought to the table, this is what was ran away from, this is the ONLY thing that will fix the issue. Cut government, reduce our spending on it and you will be surprised how much money becomes available.

Heck, just repealing Obamacare will free up a great amount of money. Then going after the BS stimulus money that Obama squandered getting back as much as we can.

Old 08-09-2011, 10:30 AM

22,768 posts, read 30,833,947 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nomander View Post
We can cut numerous programs that have nothing to do with those to start though.
But what for?

Medicare is by FAR the biggest unfunded liability. Medicare is the big government inefficiency that is driving up our deficits. Fixing it would fix the budget.

So WHY do Republicans focus on cutting all these little things that don't have much impact on the deficit, while pretending that Medicare isn't a problem at all?

Quote:
The democrats sought more spending and tax increases.

Cutting was never the intention of the dems, spending and taxing is.
IIRC, Democrats wanted spending cuts, too -- they just also wanted tax increases.

Quote:
If we tax business heavily, they will run out of country.
We did fine in the 1960's and early 1970's with higher corporate tax rates. Businesses didn't flee the country.

Quote:
If we tax the rich, they will do the same leaving only the middle class as the tax burden (to which they are unprepared to take on from the rich) to which will reduce them to a poor class.
We did fine taxing the rich in the 1930's, 1940's, 1950's, 1960's, and 1970's. Rich didn't flee the country.

Quote:
Raising taxes only works if you create a healthy economic environment and we do not have one with all of the excessive programs, regulations, and intrusion by the government in the free market. You raise taxes in this situation without attending to the other first and it kills us all.
Economists say the same thing about spending -- you can't cut government spending unless you have a healthy economic environment.

The reason you "can't" cut spending is the EXACT same reason you "can't" raise taxes, because both of them take money out of the economy.

Old 08-09-2011, 11:41 AM

44,882 posts, read 33,373,434 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ambient View Post
I think the reaction to Obama's little speech indicates quite clearly that markets have lost confidence and trust in him to do anything to help the political or economic situation in America.
I hope you believe this since I certainly do but I bet you haven't got there yet.

Old 08-09-2011, 11:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by robbobobbo View Post
Actually, I'm very angry at Republicans who are trying to tear the government, and the country, down.
Actually, you have been overcome by the Democrat attacks on the Republicans and you are proof that when you have said it enough times your supporters get taken in.

Old 08-09-2011, 11:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by florida.bob View Post
As we will likely see today, The Prez speech will provide much needed calming in the Markets. Relief from the frantic idiots in DC. He is still showing that his is about the only adult in Govt.
What has he done to prove that he is the only adult? Do real adults spend all their time trying to get others to believe that nothing that happens is their fault? How about the number of unemployed oil drillers in Louisiana because of a fire that could have happened anywhere? He hasn't been able to see that a federal judge told him to cut back on his shut down and nobody has let his actions get to the higher court.

Did he, as the only adult in the room, not shoot down any kind of compromise a while back when he got $800 billion from Boehner and then he asked for $400 billion more?

Yep he is the only adult in the room. I suppose he was the only adult on the golf course last Friday evening, also.

Old 08-09-2011, 11:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by florida.bob View Post
Could be a whole different thing on here, UnHappy. One we know little of.

News Headlines
Yep, it was all the fault of the Republicans and Tea Party and those big dealers. I have said all day yesterday that the biggest one in the bunch was very much to blame for yesterday. I bet he is buying away today. That would be the main string puller, George "Spooky Dude" Soros.

Old 08-09-2011, 12:39 PM

Quote:
But what for?

Medicare is by FAR the biggest unfunded liability. Medicare is the big government inefficiency that is driving up our deficits. Fixing it would fix the budget.

So WHY do Republicans focus on cutting all these little things that don't have much impact on the deficit, while pretending that Medicare isn't a problem at all?
Good, then cutting all those little things should not be much of an issue then, so... why are they not already cut so we can get on to the others. I am willing to get rid of medicare, as well as SS (after those who paid in are paid back), but if you are trying to tell me they are the only real issue, then I think you are overlooking things. Are you trying to tell me the numerous expenses we have in government social programs, subsidies, educational programs, etc... are not a large expense? I bet alone that if we removed all of these oversights, programs, and institutions, it would greatly reduce our costs. This however, requires the government to give up power, and that is the thing not wanted.

Quote:
IIRC, Democrats wanted spending cuts, too -- they just also wanted tax increases.
Kind of like they wanted the same cuts with the FAA spending bill? You know, argue over 16 million and lose hundreds of millions in the process? Seems like that was far from their minds in that issue?

Quote:
We did fine in the 1960's and early 1970's with higher corporate tax rates. Businesses didn't flee the country.

We did fine taxing the rich in the 1930's, 1940's, 1950's, 1960's, and 1970's. Rich didn't flee the country.

That is a huge area of contention as to what, why, and how things were going on.

Quote:
Economists say the same thing about spending -- you can't cut government spending unless you have a healthy economic environment.
Those who require that spending do not provide such healthy environment. The ones you want to give incentive's are those who do not need help and have money to spend as they create jobs.

Quote:
The reason you "can't" cut spending is the EXACT same reason you "can't" raise taxes, because both of them take money out of the economy.
I don't buy that argument, but that is because we operate from different positions. I think government is the cause of all problems, you seem to think it is the solution and never between shall the two meet. /shrug

Old 08-09-2011, 01:47 PM

2,093 posts, read 4,716,903 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pghquest View Post
These postings are getting beyond ridiculous. What did the tea party do?

Why do you keep posting lies which has been proven wrong over and over again?
Why are you being willfully ignorant and naive? It doesn't take a rocket scientist to see that the Tea Partiers had a large role in the debt ceiling negotiation during the past 6 months.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies