Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Is this a representation of the "True America"
Yes 12 22.64%
No 41 77.36%
Voters: 53. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-09-2011, 12:45 PM

717 posts, read 899,296 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chalie Brown View Post
I wouldn't call Stars/Stripes a racist. Closed-minded in his views about what America is/should be and possibly a little culturally insensitive, but not racist

But yeah, that Alicia Keys comment didn't sit right me either
*with
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-09-2011, 12:50 PM

800 posts, read 781,436 times
This thread is going to get real intresting in this board...

Old 08-19-2011, 03:28 PM

3,210 posts, read 4,614,204 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nap1313 View Post
How do you know what their culture and values are? I don't understand why Alicia Keys, out of all, is the most un-American. She is biracial, native born. People like her have been a part of American since day one.

Isn't tolerance of differences (so long as they are not harmful to anyone else) THE most inherently American value?
It is, and should be. Many people who try to pin down who is or isn't a "True American" are simply trying to denegrate Non-whites, Non-christians and whoever else rubs them the wrong way. Country music has it's roots in Ireland. Rap, on the other hand, is 110% American born and bred. I'm sure the OP would burst a blood vessel if someone told him that though.

"Cultural Marxism" is a made up term from the Turner Diaries crowd. Before anyone pegs me as a "Liberal", I support Libertarian cuases and generally side with Republicans more than Dems.

Old 10-25-2011, 06:46 AM

2,672 posts, read 2,235,752 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stars&StripesForever View Post
Is the following video a representation of the "True America"?

Toby Keith - Made In America - YouTube

No. What the video represents is an attempt to cash in on the heartstrings of a certain demographic of consumers who like all the sorts of imagery and ideas that traditional country music represents. It's just a money maker filled with shallowness and emotionalism.

Not that it doesn't touch on some things. But it's just a song. And it doesn't mean a thing really. I can guarantee you that audience screaming and clapping is full of a bunch of people that wouldn't have a clue what it's like to live on a farm. Especially a farm back in the good old days. Most of them are probably closet liberals and don't even know it.

America is 1000 years away from what it was when I was growing up in the 60s and 70s. That time might as well have been in the stone age. I wonder what Toby's granddad thinks about divorce. I bet he can remember the days when it was next to impossible to get a divorce.

America is doomed. We never could get it right in this country. And our chickens are coming home to roost.

Old 10-25-2011, 06:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shizzles View Post
It is, and should be. Many people who try to pin down who is or isn't a "True American" are simply trying to denegrate Non-whites, Non-christians and whoever else rubs them the wrong way. Country music has it's roots in Ireland. Rap, on the other hand, is 110% American born and bred. I'm sure the OP would burst a blood vessel if someone told him that though.

"Cultural Marxism" is a made up term from the Turner Diaries crowd. Before anyone pegs me as a "Liberal", I support Libertarian cuases and generally side with Republicans more than Dems.
There wasn't a whole lot of tolerance of differences up until the 1970s, so I don't know where you revisionists come from with that "inherent values of tolerance" stuff. Was Manifest Destiny about tolerance? Was the Motion Picture Standards Board or the Sunday Laws about tolerance? We were a melting pot of primarily European peoples from a Catholic or Protestant or Jewish perspective, 98 percent. We had cultural identities, but a common cause in the Bill of Rights as our social contract.

You progressives crack me up with your crap. Back in the 60s, you were screaming death to Amerika. Now all the sudden, you've switched gears. You love the government now. Wow! What a sudden shift. Suddenly, you love the establishment because it's spreading the wealth and collectivist BS

Yes, you're a cultural Marxist. I don't know what that has to do with the Turner Diaries, but both you and the writer of that book are probably too dumb or clueless or both to know what Cultural Marxism is.

I also caught that little snarky revision about rap and country music. Nice try, racist. I suppose you are a disciple of "Reverend" Cone, ey? You're a suprematist and a bigot. And a leftist.

Old 10-25-2011, 07:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by polo89 View Post
That vid displays part of what is True America. This vid is also True America.

‪Juvenile Ha‬‏ - YouTube

Oh, the projects. Is this the part of America that you love and are proud of, Polo? Is this what Frederick Douglas thought was America? Who are you kidding?

I thought this condition is what we needed to get rid of with entitlements and government largesse. I used to watch "Good Times" - isn't this the worst place in the world to live? This is YOUR true America? What a joke.

I never can figure out people like you. You seem to be all over the roadmap philosophically - you know, just saying whatever pops into your mind.

Old 11-30-2011, 06:53 AM

11,078 posts, read 15,082,780 times
I know this is an older thread..just stumbled across it.

No,I think THIS video represents America very truthfully today.

http://youtu.be/jTW0y6kazWM

Old 11-30-2011, 07:08 AM

1,599 posts, read 3,134,135 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nowincal11 View Post
I would have agreed with you 20 years ago. Not anymore. The True America is no longer White, Protestant, and small town. I think that the lifestyles conveyed in the video are likely a thing of the past. Sure, some people my age still subscribe to it, but they are in the vast minority.
Hell, nothing is 'made in America' any longer. Infact, it seems most of the produce in the supermarkets come from South America and as far away as China these days.

Old 11-30-2011, 11:30 AM

11,078 posts, read 15,082,780 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinylly View Post
Hell, nothing is 'made in America' any longer. Infact, it seems most of the produce in the supermarkets come from South America and as far away as China these days.
That's why so many of us end up sick too....it's a shame...America used to be a great independent country,now most are just cattle.

Old 11-30-2011, 11:58 AM

5,756 posts, read 3,999,109 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by muleskinner View Post
That's why so many of us end up sick too....it's a shame...America used to be a great independent country,now most are just cattle.
Sheeple....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies