Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-10-2011, 06:53 PM

86,052 posts, read 84,495,743 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jazzii View Post
I'm pretty sure they are not saying 10-12 is the RIGHT age to have sex They are saying it's the right time to TALK about sex. Bottom line is kids (YES KIDS some 11, 12, 13 year old are having sex and that's just the way it is) will have sex whether they are taught about being protected or not. If this class is not interrupting any other study then I do not see a problem with it. Also I'm pretty sure the curriculum will not involve showing an 11 year old how to use a condom -______- it will include thing like "where babies come from", why you should wait to have sex, abstinence etc. My mother is a teacher and when she taught kindergarten they spoke about aids.. Obviously they did not tell them when people have sex with a lot of people they are at higher risks of getting AIDS but they did say how personal hygiene is important and you shouldn't share personal items with others, and if you're helping a friend who is bleeding get an adult....

BTW sex ed even though it is not required it is taught in health class people. Since the 7th grade (when i was 12) my health class spoke about abstinence, STD's, preventative measures, birth control etc.
You didn't read the article did you ?

From the OP link:

"One of the lessons includes instruction on how to properly use a condom."
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-10-2011, 06:54 PM

3,681 posts, read 6,275,166 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thePR View Post
Sexual activity /= sex.
???

Are you saying you are okay having the school teach your 10 - 12 yo child at what age its appropriate to start engaging in "sexual activity" but not "sex?" Or that its okay for the school to teach your child that 10 -12 is the age that its appropriate to engage in "sexual activity?"

Old 08-10-2011, 06:59 PM

919 posts, read 1,691,034 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
You didn't read the article did you ?

From the OP link:

"One of the lessons includes instruction on how to properly use a condom."
"Students in New York City will be required to take sex education classes that include lessons on how to use a condom – a curriculum that the head of the school system said is long overdue.
It’s the first time in nearly two decades that middle and high school students will be forced to take the mandatory classes, according to a report first published in The New York Times."

Yes I did. It says In the curriculum for Middle and high school students. It does not say in the curriculum for an 11 year ( 5th- 6th grade) it is a generalization which means somewhere within one of the grades that will be taught. An 11 year old will not be taught the same thing that a 14-18 year old will be learning.

Old 08-10-2011, 07:04 PM

12,980 posts, read 14,566,426 times
I went to school back in the dark ages, and we had comprehensive sex ed, including how to use a condom. What's the big deal again?

Old 08-10-2011, 07:04 PM

4,027 posts, read 7,291,070 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by maja View Post
???

Are you saying you are okay having the school teach your 10 - 12 yo child at what age its appropriate to start engaging in "sexual activity" but not "sex?" Or that its okay for the school to teach your child that 10 -12 is the age that its appropriate to engage in "sexual activity?"
You have a reading comprehension problem.

"Children as young as 11 years old will take part in discussions on a variety of topics ranging from the risks of unprotected sex to the appropriate age for sexual activity, the newspaper reported."

Old 08-10-2011, 07:05 PM

919 posts, read 1,691,034 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zimbochick View Post
I went to school back in the dark ages, and we had comprehensive sex ed, including how to use a condom. What's the big deal again?

that's what I'm saying, I'm a teen I know what goes on in a high school and a middle school, educating kids would be beneficial.

Old 08-10-2011, 07:13 PM

1,770 posts, read 2,897,817 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
You will still be paying for those food stamps and the daycare center as well that they build for the middle schools and high schools so the students can bring their babies to school.

You will not eliminate unwanted pregnancies with this no matter how hard you wish for it. If they've been teaching this for years in HS then there should be NO 16 year old with unwanted babies but we know that's not true, is it ?

How many 11 year olds are getting pregnant these days ?
We always hear how many ARE pregnant. We'll never know truly how many people avoided early pregnancy because of sex ed. That would be bad for the moral police.

11 is early enough. Some ARE in puberty, and most will be hitting it extremely soon.

This wouldn't be a problem if parents talked to their kids about sex. Which they don't.

Old 08-10-2011, 07:19 PM

19,226 posts, read 15,324,078 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jazzii View Post

that's what I'm saying, I'm a teen I know what goes on in a high school and a middle school, educating kids would be beneficial.

You should be studying how to fill out tax forms.

Old 08-10-2011, 07:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by h0tmess View Post
This wouldn't be a problem if parents talked to their kids about sex. Which they don't.
Yes, this is exactly the point. I have had many discusiions with my children about sex, etc., but if my children are going to be in the same social circles, and dating people who have never been given the correct, factual information, then I'd rather it come from the school than from the grapevine.

Old 08-10-2011, 07:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ergohead View Post
You should be studying how to fill out tax forms.
You can't do both? Well, not at the same time, but....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies