Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-20-2011, 01:47 PM

18,258 posts, read 22,538,660 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by rhawkins74 View Post
But, even if the individuals that support the Democratic Party on this issue, the party its self uses this as a way to try and say the Republicans are racist.
The Republican party would not be viewed as "racist" if more of its most public members would stop doing and/or saying racist things.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-20-2011, 01:48 PM

11,531 posts, read 10,293,968 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rhawkins74 View Post
But, even if the individuals that support the Democratic Party on this issue, the party its self uses this as a way to try and say the Republicans are racist.
Yes, the Democratic party uses the race card, no argument here. That doesn't negate the fact that many many many Republicans have expressed less than favorable opinions towards Blacks. The main difference I see is that what you accuse the Democratic party is done more by the leadership, whereas the "race baiting" in the GOP goes from the top to the rank and file.

Like I said, there is a difference between Democratic leadership and your average Democrat, and this is coming from someone who views the Democratic party as corrupt.

Old 08-20-2011, 01:59 PM

11,761 posts, read 14,659,204 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by andrea3821 View Post
I sincerely hope that we can avoid any discussion of the supposed racism of Republicans/conservatives/Tea Party members in this thread.
Of course you hope that. Unfortunately for you, that means you would like to exclude the true explanation from your consciousness.

Let's start with Reagan, whom most modern Republicans seem to consider the greatest president, or at least the greatest Republican president in history.

No, on second thought, let's start with the fact that most modern Republicans consider Reagan a greater president than the man who preserved the Union and freed the slaves. Does that tell you anything?

But back to Reagan. You can follow the link to this blog post I wrote on the occasion of his centennial, but here's a taste:

Racism. It's impossible to consider Reagan's presidency without confronting the centrality of his appeals to racism. He opened his presidential campaign in Philadelphia, Mississippi, the city most famous for the murders of civil rights workers Chaney, Schwerner, and Goodman. His speech made an appeal to "states' rights", a code word for segregation and racial oppression since the earliest days of the Civil Rigjhts Movement (not to mention the Civil War). His announcement was an explicit message to any who would hear that he would support the aims of the racist South. In this way, Reagan's presidency can be understood as the culmination of Nixon's Southern Strategy.

As he ran, so he governed. From his support for the racist policies of Bob Jones University to his references to "big bucks" abusing Food Stamps; from his support for apartheid to the clear understanding of his aide Lee Atwater, who explained how Reagan and Bush used concealed racism to win Southern votes, Reagan's presidency was suffused with racism, but you won't hear any of his acolytes discuss it this week.

But it goes back further than Reagan. After Johnson signed the Voting Rights Act and the Civil Rights Act into law, Nixon correctly perceived that Southern racists were up for grabs, and by appealing to them he could attract them to the Republican Party. Nixon's Southern Strategy relied on calls for "states' rights" to conceal its true message, which was entrenched opposition to civil rights measures. We continue to see Republicans trot out the same tired shibboleth to oppose the extension of the Voting Rights Act today.

Current racist policies. Wherever you look you see Republicans supporting racist policies, and then deny that they are racist policies. For instance, it is Republicans who continue to support voter suppression measures such as felony disenfranchisement and voter ID requirements. Deny it as I know you will, these measures have a disproportionate impact, and intentionally so, on blacks and other minorities.

Current racist statements. Say you don't want to go as far back as Trent Lott's endorsement of Strom Thurmond's racist positions, how about going as far back as December, 2010. That is when Haley Barbour, governor of Mississippi and potential presidential candidate, praised the White Citizens Councils. Or look around the South and see which party supports the continued use of Confederate flags in government settings--it's Republicans, not Democrats. For that matter, here at City-Data it's Republicans, and not Democrats, who defend the Confederacy and constantly rehearse the bogus claim that the Civil War was not about slavery.

Or look at the Tea Party demonstrations, with their ubiquitous racist posters of President Obama in African tribal garb and postcards of watermelon patches on the White House lawn. For that matter, consider the birther movement, which is undeniably racist from beginning to end, top to bottom.

It's true that the Republican Party generally takes contrary positions on issues of importance to black voters, such as crushing public benefit programs or supporting massive incarceration of criminals, particularly those convicted of crimes more common in the black population, and that these positions send black people the message that the Republican Party is an organization of white supremacy.

There is undoubtedly more to it than what I've covered here. I'm not black and I don't claim the ability to enumerate every little statement and policy position that makes black people feel unwelcomed in the Republican Party. I do say, though, that they are not wrong in that feeling.

Conservatives and Republicans will undoubtedly quibble with or flatly deny just about everything I have said here, and you are certainly entitled to do so. If you do, though, that just confirms what I said at the outset: you are blind to the truth.

Old 08-20-2011, 02:02 PM

6,137 posts, read 4,863,104 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WestCobb View Post
I don't think Republicans are racist. I think many of them hate poor people, and they mistakenly think that all black people are poor, so that leads to some guilt by association. For the most part though, I agree the Republic Party is not racist.
I have yet to meet a Republican who "hates" poor people. I know a number of Republicans who grew up poor. I am however, and many will concur, sick of people who do nothing to better their situation, while placing all of the blame on others. You do have a good point as far as how it may come across, I just wouldn't use the word hate.

In this context though, perception is everything, so everything I just wrote was kind of pointless. Anyway.

I think historical factors play into it more than anything. If you have a disenfranchised generation, they're going to pass it on. There is the issue of welfare etc that people are bringing up, but in my opinion that has very little to do with it, not nearly as much as habit to be honest. To say that welfare and similar policies are a driving force behind it is to say 90%+ of black people are either on welfare or support it strongly enough to base their political views upon it. I highly doubt that. It may play a part just due to poverty rates etc. but a small one at most.

The vast majority of the country is pretty much split down the middle. If you have one race that votes consistently for one party, I'm not buying any explanation based solely on policies.

Old 08-20-2011, 02:03 PM

18,630 posts, read 19,424,868 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by calipoppy View Post
The main reason that most Black Americans do not vote for Republicans is due to the after effects of the Lily White Movement. The Lily White Movement in the late 1800s/early 1900s was an active (and often violent) effort on the part of the Republican party to rid itself of its Black members.

Lily-White Movement - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Please and the alternative to the GOP during this period was what the Klan infested Democrats?

Both parties really didn't go after the Black vote. I suspect if the current GOP supported a more robust government they would garner respectable black support despite being perceived as hostile towards blacks.

Blacks for some reason or another have viewed the government as some kind of giant benefactor. Maybe this sentiment is rooted in the abolishment of slavery, I don't know, but I've shown that the sentiment goes back to at least FDR.

Old 08-20-2011, 02:20 PM

25,947 posts, read 24,752,932 times
Maybe they just don't like what Republicans stand for

And when I read about that lily white movement, I wonder why it is people here on CD keep shouting Democrats are the racist party, also basing that assertion on past events by the way...

Old 08-20-2011, 02:42 PM

1,391 posts, read 2,647,061 times
So no one has anything to say in response to my earlier post? I guess ignoring historically supported information that provides at least a partial answer to a complex question is requisite to keeping eternal debate questions, well, eternal huh? Oh well, history lessons can be a little dry and boring to some people.

Old 08-20-2011, 02:44 PM

3,382 posts, read 4,081,952 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Neuling View Post
Maybe they just don't like what Republicans stand for

And when I read about that lily white movement, I wonder why it is people here on CD keep shouting Democrats are the racist party, also basing that assertion on past events by the way...
and hearing about the Dem sponsored Jim Crow laws and pro slavery and turning hosing on black people didnt clue you into why we shout the Democrats are the racists?

Or people like jesse jackson sr. and jr. calling my wife an aunt jemima for being a republican....

but of course you are right, they are not racist, they have just been the party of racist since their inception.

Old 08-20-2011, 02:47 PM

3,504 posts, read 3,925,040 times
im half black so i can comment on this. btw its funny that the poster asked for black responses, yet its mostly the same white people responding.

i refuse to vote republican, or will rarely vote republican because

1. they dont reflect America's demographics. identity politics is a big part of the game, which is why most whites are republican(republicans are overwhelmingly white). that's not the identity of the country though.

2. annoying race baiting. multiple emails and pics depicting obama as an ape and hitler don't really draw me to the party.

3. the ridiculous belief that by voting republican it means one is freed from the plantation. republicans are no better then dems.

4. dems dont take the minority vote for granted(at least they didn't with me). i had people calling me trying to vote for dayton and people on the ground went out and spoke to me when i was out in my yard about voting for dayton). i have never had a republican talk to me about voting for a candidate. the republicans don't care about my vote, so why should i even consider voting for them?

im an independent voter through and through, but those few reasons and more are why i'll rarely ever vote republican.

Old 08-20-2011, 02:50 PM

3,382 posts, read 4,081,952 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tropolis View Post
im half black so i can comment on this. btw its funny that the poster asked for black responses, yet its mostly the same white people responding.

i refuse to vote republican, or will rarely vote republican because

1. they dont reflect America's demographics. identity politics is a big part of the game, which is why most whites are republican(republicans are overwhelmingly white). that's not the identity of the country though.

2. annoying race baiting. multiple emails and pics depicting obama as an ape and hitler don't really draw me to the party.

3. the ridiculous belief that by voting republican it means one is freed from the plantation. republicans are no better then dems.

4. dems dont take the minority vote for granted(at least they didn't with me). i had people calling me trying to vote for dayton and people on the ground went out and spoke to me when i was out in my yard about voting for dayton). i have never had a republican talk to me about voting for a candidate. the republicans don't care about my vote, so why should i even consider voting for them?

im an independent voter through and through, but those few reasons and more are why i'll rarely ever vote republican.
Well since you are half black.. I guess only half your comment can be counted...

But basically you are saying that you vote Dem, because you want a party that will pander to you, and wants to look at you as not equal to the rest?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies