Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-20-2011, 08:56 PM

3,504 posts, read 3,925,040 times

Advertisements

i agree again with edward

if the GOP made an attempt to get the black vote instead of writing it off, things could be different.

i think the GOP is finally realizing this, as they have been pushing black and minority candidate.

tim scott, allen west, nikki haley, marco rubio are examples.

you have a few, the goal is to open the floodgates and get more.

honestly, i agree with the GOP more then i agree with the dems.

on principal though, i cant vote for a party who isnt interested in me to begin with.

again, that mentality from the GOP is improving, but not enough yet.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-20-2011, 09:03 PM

5,391 posts, read 7,232,198 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WestCobb View Post
I don't think Republicans are racist. I think many of them hate poor people, and they mistakenly think that all black people are poor, so that leads to some guilt by association. For the most part though, I agree the Republic Party is not racist.
So if a Republican sees a black person and makes the assumption that person is poor, and therefore worthy of being hated (since black skin = poor in his view), what does that make the Republican?

I haven't heard of a Republican hatred of poor white people. Too often I've seen the view expressed that poor white people are "struggling", "hard working, barely getting by", "dignified", whereas poor black people are "leeches."

I don't believe most (or even many) Republican politicians are racists, at least not hard-core proud racists. But the party definitely attracts racists in its voters.

Old 08-20-2011, 09:07 PM

18,258 posts, read 22,538,660 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tropolis View Post

if the gop made an attempt to get the black vote instead of writing it off, things could be different.

I think the gop is finally realizing this, as they have been pushing black and minority candidate.

Tim scott, allen west, nikki haley, marco rubio are examples.

You have a few, the goal is to open the floodgates and get more.

Honestly, i agree with the gop more then i agree with the dems.

on principal though, i cant vote for a party who isnt interested in me to begin with.

again, that mentality from the gop is improving, but not enough yet.
+1

Old 08-20-2011, 09:09 PM

5,999 posts, read 7,101,854 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by calipoppy View Post
But President Obama will get around to Black voters at some point during his campaign...the Republicans will not. They never do. If the Republican party actually wanted Black voters they would show up at the predominantly Black churches (who lean conservative in MANY ways) and speak with they congregations on the points which they agree strongly...but they don't, EVER. They would speak with the MANY Black professional organizations (for physcians, attorneys, business owners, etc) on their campaing stops....but they do not, EVER.
As much as I usually disagree with you, I think this is a decent point, if you can back it up. Can you prove that republican candidates do not do these things? To take the other side, why should anyone be pandered to? I believe that you're an adult and if you like what we're selling, you're free to buy it. I guess I can see both sides of the argument.

Old 08-20-2011, 09:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by A_Lexus View Post
Because the Republican party is synonymous with favoring racism and supporting bigotry. They count among their constituents the most racially-insensitive people in tihs country. They are supported by the Klan, skinheads, and any other bigoted group that looks down on black people. They are a party that does nothing to dispel this notion. Being racially prejudiced is the foundation of their ideology. Quite pathetic.

Blacks, or anyone who is among the most enlightened, don't support or have any respect for such a worthless, repulsive segment of this country.
Bagdad Bob, that you?

P.S. Ever heard of Klansman and Klan recruiter Robert Byrd (D)?

Old 08-20-2011, 09:14 PM

6,233 posts, read 9,483,407 times
Quote:
Wondering why you were surprised by "conservative" views among Black Americans. Some of the most "conservative" American views that you will ever hear would be while sitting at the dining room table of middle class Black families after a Thanksgiving or Christmas or a Sunday family dinner.
I think it's because most people think Democrats = Liberal. So by that line of thinking, all black Demcrats must be really liberal. I taught in a majority black part of North Carolina for a couple of years, and was surprised myself, at the time, by all the conservative minded black people I met, even though the county regularly went for the Democrats.

Old 08-20-2011, 09:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by robbobobbo View Post
I can point to post after post here on C-D, many other forums, on talk radio, and even in this thread where conservatives postulate that black people vote Democratic because either they're too ignorant to know the Democrats are "keeping them on the plantation" (don't know what's really good for them), or (and the most-repeated assertion) that they are hooked on other peoples' money and freebies - i.e. "black people are too lazy and dependent on white people's money that the Democrats keep giving them."

Yes, it's racist. Deal with it.
How is that racist? Honestly?

I think it's much more racist to support affirmative action. Basically you're saying that blacks are too stupid to succeed on their own merits and need special help to get ahead. I believe that black people are just as capable as people of any other color, don't you?

Old 08-20-2011, 09:16 PM

Quote:
Wondering why you were surprised by "conservative" views among Black Americans. Some of the most "conservative" American views that you will ever hear would be while sitting at the dining room table of middle class Black families after a Thanksgiving or Christmas or a Sunday family dinner.
And yet they continue to vote for politicians that have polar opposite views. Isn't that kind of the premise of this thread; the enigma of black American voting patterns?

Old 08-20-2011, 09:20 PM

No offense, but why are you special? Why to you need to be coddled? You're a big boy, and if you agree with our policies more than you agree with theirs, we'd love to have you. I think that's one of the big differences between the two ideologies; conservatism believes in self sufficiency and being a go getter and liberalism believes in entitlement and having the government do it for you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tropolis View Post

if the GOP made an attempt to get the black vote instead of writing it off, things could be different.

i think the GOP is finally realizing this, as they have been pushing black and minority candidate.

tim scott, allen west, nikki haley, marco rubio are examples.

you have a few, the goal is to open the floodgates and get more.

honestly, i agree with the GOP more then i agree with the dems.

again, that mentality from the GOP is improving, but not enough yet.

Old 08-20-2011, 09:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by robbobobbo;20540632[U
]So if a Republican sees a black person and makes the assumption that person is poor, and therefore worthy of being hated (since black skin = poor in his view), what does that make the Republican?[/u]

I haven't heard of a Republican hatred of poor white people. Too often I've seen the view expressed that poor white people are "struggling", "hard working, barely getting by", "dignified", whereas poor black people are "leeches."

I don't believe most (or even many) Republican politicians are racists, at least not hard-core proud racists. But the party definitely attracts racists in its voters.
The bolded makes no sense, it's just incoherent rambling. Who "hates the poor?" Being against welfare abuse doesn't equate to hate or racism, in fact, I would argue the opposite, to think that black Americans need welfare is racist, basically you're saying that they can't succeed on their own, they need the government to survive. I believe that blacks are just as capable as people of any other skin color. Do you?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies