Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-20-2011, 01:26 PM

18,258 posts, read 22,538,660 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by EdwardA View Post
Black Americans started moving away from "The Party of Lincoln" back during the FDR years the process was complete during Nixon's election when 95% of Blacks voted against him.

Here's a little diddy Blacks cooked up during the FDR years:
The Party of Lincoln ... - By David Greenberg - Slate Magazine

It appears the sentiment that the government is there to take care of you has a long tradition in the black community and against this backdrop it's easy to understand why an overwhelming number of Blacks support the Dems.
The main reason that most Black Americans do not vote for Republicans is due to the after effects of the Lily White Movement. The Lily White Movement in the late 1800s/early 1900s was an active (and often violent) effort on the part of the Republican party to rid itself of its Black members.

Lily-White Movement - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-20-2011, 01:27 PM

12,997 posts, read 13,649,010 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SamBarrow View Post
I've had numerous people (plenty of white people included) tell me Republicans were racist, but couldn't tell me why, except some regurgitated crap like "George Bush doesn't care about black people." But I think that's mostly it.
I don't think Republicans are racist. I think many of them hate poor people, and they mistakenly think that all black people are poor, so that leads to some guilt by association. For the most part though, I agree the Republic Party is not racist.

Old 08-20-2011, 01:28 PM

3,382 posts, read 4,081,952 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WestCobb View Post
No, it's not ok. I think a rich black person should probably vote Republican. I can see why someone like Herman Cain does so. I also think it would be good for black people if both parties competed for their votes. It's too bad the Republic Party isn't quite ready to give up pandering to the racists in a pinch.
They don't pander to the racists...

The difference is, the Dems will lie to minorities to get their votes. If black and white are supposed to be equal, why would you pander to a specific race, instead of looking at them all as equal?

Old 08-20-2011, 01:29 PM

11,531 posts, read 10,293,968 times
Quote:
I interact with a lot of black people. I have been told by most of them that they perceive the Republican Party as racist. I don't think that most Republicans are racists -- with a hard "r" -- but I can see how they draw that conclusion. Rush Limbaugh calls a new oreo cookie an Obam-eo... seriously? Pray tell, what point was he trying to make with that?
Just recently multiple Republicans on here called Obama "ghetto"

If a Black Harvard Lawyer who becomes President is considered ghetto, what do you think they think about your average blue collar Black guy?

Old 08-20-2011, 01:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rhawkins74 View Post
Or people like you that because you want to believe this is the way it is, put blinders on to reality.

Democrats say that reform to welfare is a racist act.. so they believe that welfare is there for black people so.. who sees them as separate?
I could care less about the reform of welfare. So what is your point?

Old 08-20-2011, 01:30 PM

Quote:
I don't think Republicans are racist. I think many of them hate poor people, and they mistakenly think that all black people are poor, so that leads to some guilt by association. For the most part though, I agree the Republic Party is not racist.
It is the democrats that say that welfare reform is racist against black people, so who is it that thinks poor people are black?

Republicans do not hate poor people, they hate people that refuse to try and better themselves and mooch off of the tax payers money.

Old 08-20-2011, 01:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by calipoppy View Post
I could care less about the reform of welfare. So what is your point?
the point, which you seen and know what it is, but hate to admit to, is that the Democrats believe that black people are poor and need welfare. So there for they believe blacks are separate then whites.

Old 08-20-2011, 01:34 PM

11,531 posts, read 10,293,968 times
I wonder if this has anything to do with it. David Duke was a former grand wizard of the KKK

David Duke Speaks to the Tea Party - YouTube

Old 08-20-2011, 01:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rhawkins74 View Post
They don't pander to the racists...

The difference is, the Dems will lie to minorities to get their votes. If black and white are supposed to be equal, why would you pander to a specific race, instead of looking at them all as equal?
The Republican party operates on three levels (1) At the top: the wealthy who drive the real agenda of the Republican party which is to make certain that they receive the most advantageous tax policies for persoanl and corporate wealth (2) In the middle: Christian fundamentalists who drive the faux morality platform of the Republican party and (3) On the bottom: Poor and working class Whites who act as the foot soldiers of the Republican and Tea Party; the top riles up the bottom by using issues such as Affirmative Action and illegal immigration as the reasons that these people are on the bottom rung

Old 08-20-2011, 01:38 PM

4,003 posts, read 10,843,375 times
Quote:
I also think it would be good for black people if both parties competed for their votes.
Competing for votes is a significant mitigating factor as to why we are in the situation we are in. There is too much emphasis on "getting votes" and not enough on courage to make a politically difficult decision which could risk their precious reelection campaigns. The majority of politicians sure come across as overly self-centered.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies