Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-23-2011, 09:04 PM

3,681 posts, read 6,277,015 times

Advertisements

"Most of us can remember many of the books on the assigned reading list in middle and high school — from Charles Dickens’ “Great Expectations” to Fyodor Dostoyevsky’s “Crime and Punishment.” Today, however, required reading for students apparently includes “Tweak: Growing up on Methamphetamines,” a book that features a scene depicting a homosexual orgy and “Norwegian Wood,” a book that features a sex scene between a 31-year-old woman and a 13-year old girl."

School Reading List Featured Books on Lesbian Sex, Gay Orgy | TheBlaze.com

There was a time I wouldn't have believed this type of reading material was available in a public school library, let alone recommended or even required for not only high schoolers but middle schoolers as well. But, that was before my 10 year old dd entered middle school in 5th grade in a new district. Then, I saw the type of books being recommended and/or required by her teachers and I started doing some research and discovered books in the school library that contained the type of material described in this story. I doubt that many parents realize what is being pushed on their children in the guise of "literature" in our local bookstores, public libraries and even in our schools. Many of these books come packaged in cute little pink covers. And for those that say even the classics or the Bible have references to sex and profanity, I have read both types of books and there is a glaring difference. One may have references; the other graphic depictions with little or no moral consequences.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-23-2011, 09:10 PM

25,021 posts, read 27,949,504 times
I just finished reading that article. I think there is no denying that there is a left-wing social agenda being pushed on the kids. It is very obvious, and anyone that denies this really needs a reality check and to come back down to earth for a bit. Bookstores and libraries having the books is one thing though, maja, but actively trying to push kids to read certain books that push this smut in an effort to brainwash kids into believing that gay sex is normal sex is wrong. This belongs in the domain of the parent-child relationship, not a government funded school.

Another reason why homeschooling is increasing in this country every year. People are tired of the left-wing social indoctrination going on in our schools without the parents' consent, because the teachers' unions think they know what your child should know. The schools need to concentrate on academics ONLY, not social issues. Our kids are being deliberately dumbed down and programmed to vote Democrat for as long as possible. K-12 education in the U.S. is taking an increasingly left-wing social stance while sacrificing academic achievement in the name of "diversity and tolerance"

Old 08-23-2011, 09:11 PM

25,619 posts, read 36,722,601 times
All apart of the Gay Agenda. Socialization at a young age.

Why do you think they want Burt and Ernie to be outed as booty buddies.

Old 08-23-2011, 09:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by theunbrainwashed View Post
I just finished reading that article. I think there is no denying that there is a left-wing social agenda being pushed on the kids. It is very obvious, and anyone that denies this really needs a reality check and to come back down to earth for a bit. Bookstores and libraries having the books is one thing though, maja, but actively trying to push kids to read certain books that fit within a certain political paradigm is just wrong in a school setting where attendance is compulsory.

Another reason why homeschooling is increasing in this country every year. People are tired of the left-wing social indoctrination going on in our schools without the parents' consent, because the State assumes that it knows what's best for your child
There really is an agenda. Like I said, I wouldn't have believed it had I not experienced it first hand a couple years ago. I was shocked to see books laughing about BJ's, etc. in the teen section of the bookstore or public library; but finding this at our public middle school that starts at 10 years old??? I mean, you can turn off the TV, monitor the music and avoid the bookstores, but school is mandatory. This stuff doesn't belong in the schools. Period. And they wonder why our kids are messed up and try to say its because they need more sex education.

Old 08-23-2011, 09:18 PM

30,360 posts, read 51,970,126 times
Nothing is pushed on anyone at a public library, and I should know as I'm a PUBLIC LIBRARIAN... we don't give people books, and only recommend titles if somebody asks (and even then it's only after a proper "reference interview"). Don't like it, don't read it - same goes for school libraries, as even the "required" summer reading is usually a list that you can CHOOSE from at your discretion. Again, I should know, as I've been helping people locate their summer reading books for the last 3 months. Usually they come in with a 2-page list of about 10-20 titles, most of which are the usual classics people like you can handle.

Stop spewing garbage about things you don't understand, and please get over your obsession with homosexuality already. Seriously, it's weird.

Old 08-23-2011, 09:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gizmo980 View Post
Nothing is pushed on anyone at a public library, and I should know as I'm a PUBLIC LIBRARIAN... we don't give people books, and only recommend titles if somebody asks (and even then it's only after a proper "reference interview"). Don't like it, don't read it - same goes for school libraries, as even the "required" summer reading is usually a list that you can CHOOSE from at your discretion. Again, I should know, as I've been helping people locate their summer reading books for the last 3 months. Stop spewing garbage about things you don't understand, and please get over your obsession with homosexuality already. Seriously, it's weird.
This stuff doesn't belong in a school library. period.

Old 08-23-2011, 09:21 PM

And in come the people defending this!

Old 08-23-2011, 09:22 PM

Btw, I'm in charge of ordering ALL of the teen books for our library, and I do include some titles that touch on adult subjects & homosexuality... but I'd say it's maybe 1-2% of the entire YA collection, and again you're free to pass by them if you're not interested. Public libraries serve the PUBLIC, which includes gay/bi citizens, and people in general who have sex. Should we not carry a copy of the Christian Bible, simply because some of our patrons aren't Christian? And should I discard all books on immigration because some people think our borders should be closed? The answer is no, as long as other views are also represented in our books.

Old 08-23-2011, 09:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by maja View Post
This stuff doesn't belong in a school library. period.
That's your opinion, and thankfully you don't speak for the entire population.

When I had a student (while working at a school library) who was struggling to accept his homosexuality, how do you think he'd feel if we had banned all books that even mentioned the subject? I'll tell you - it would make him feel ashamed, afraid, and like we didn't care about him. I'm glad we can now provide books on these subjects, and whether or not you want to believe it, most of them are actually appropriate for teen readers. Have you read these titles, or are you just frightened by the mere suggestion of gayness?

Old 08-23-2011, 09:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by maja View Post
And in come the people defending this!
Sorry not everyone agrees with your narrow-minded views, but some of us can actually understand the need for covering this subject in teen collections... especially people like me, who actually work in the field & help these kids on a daily basis. Do you even have kids?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies