Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-24-2011, 01:05 AM

12,498 posts, read 26,998,067 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by maja View Post
"Most of us can remember many of the books on the assigned reading list in middle and high school — from Charles Dickens’ “Great Expectations” to Fyodor Dostoyevsky’s “Crime and Punishment.” Today, however, required reading for students apparently includes “Tweak: Growing up on Methamphetamines,” a book that features a scene depicting a homosexual orgy and “Norwegian Wood,” a book that features a sex scene between a 31-year-old woman and a 13-year old girl."

School Reading List Featured Books on Lesbian Sex, Gay Orgy | TheBlaze.com

There was a time I wouldn't have believed this type of reading material was available in a public school library, let alone recommended or even required for not only high schoolers but middle schoolers as well. But, that was before my 10 year old dd entered middle school in 5th grade in a new district. Then, I saw the type of books being recommended and/or required by her teachers and I started doing some research and discovered books in the school library that contained the type of material described in this story. I doubt that many parents realize what is being pushed on their children in the guise of "literature" in our local bookstores, public libraries and even in our schools. Many of these books come packaged in cute little pink covers. And for those that say even the classics or the Bible have references to sex and profanity, I have read both types of books and there is a glaring difference. One may have references; the other graphic depictions with little or no moral consequences.
This is absolutely mind blowing!!!

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-24-2011, 01:52 AM

23,838 posts, read 23,127,661 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ceece View Post
I looked both books up on Amazon and they have hundreds of comments, 4-5 stars, and from reading through the first couple pages of comments nobody mentions the "lesbian,sex,gay,orgy" stuff.

I'm not upset about this in the least. I never censored anything for my kids, they self censored and if a topic made them uncomfortable they wouldn't read/watch it. It's amazing what kids are capable of when you don't treat them like idiots.
If you're a proponent of gay sex, gay marriage, and the rest of the gay agenda, then I imagine you wouldn't have a problem with your school kids reading about it.

But if you're against the gay agenda, then you'd be against this smut being pushed on your kids.

Personally, I don't see how any parent anywhere could be a proponent of anything dealing with gay sex being a relevant and enlightning component of their kids education.

Old 08-24-2011, 02:10 AM

37,135 posts, read 42,222,200 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AeroGuyDC View Post
If you're a proponent of gay sex, gay marriage, and the rest of the gay agenda, then I imagine you wouldn't have a problem with your school kids reading about it.

But if you're against the gay agenda, then you'd be against this smut being pushed on your kids.

Personally, I don't see how any parent anywhere could be a proponent of anything dealing with gay sex being a relevant and enlightning component of their kids education.
I personally am not for or against anything homosexual. I acknowledge there are homosexuals but that's about it. I'm not about to insist my kids know anything other than that and the rest is up to them. Reading about gay sex or hetero sex, no difference really if that something they want to read about. I guess you're ok with your kids reading about one and not the other? Mine really didn't seem that interested in reading about sex of any kind though, my son likes science fiction and my daughter likes fantasy.

Old 08-24-2011, 02:13 AM

30,357 posts, read 51,950,786 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AeroGuyDC View Post

How can anyone be for or against homosexuality? It still exists, whether or not you like it... and nothing is being "pushed," only offered as part of a wider curriculum. Again, you are 100% free to choose whether or not your child reads it, but to BAN anything is the epitome of imposing your personal beliefs on others - and that is what I (and others of like mind) generally oppose.

You know what I just remembered? One of the local public high schools had the Bible on their reading list, and this was actually a required title for class discussion... they had to read the book of Genesis and one other, if memory serves, and again this was for a PUBLIC school. I'm not a religious person (raised in a very Reform Jewish home), and I have no problem with this being on their list - as I trust the teachers are approaching it from an academic/literary standpoint, rather than telling students it's how you need to believe.

Quote:
Depends on the context, and whether or not it's appropriate for your child's age, maturity and reading level... not all books that approach the subject of homosexuality are graphically describing sex acts, and even some that do have a purpose in doing so. A good example is "Geography Club" by Brent Hartinger, which is about a group of gay/lesbian students who start a GLBTQ club under the guise of being a Geography Club (as they think that will keep out the bullying types). Nothing in this book is overtly graphic, especially compared to some of the popular hetero-romance titles, and yet it has still been challenged in numerous towns. Why? Because it's about being gay, and not because it's inappropriate for teen readers. Bottom line, period, end of sentence.

You also have to realize that teens are discovering their own sexuality, scary as it is for a parent to admit (I imagine), and some of those teens will inevitably be homosexual or bisexual. We try to offer books that touch on these subjects for their sake, once again to keep them from feeling ashamed & shunned by society. It's hard enough to deal with puberty and sexuality, without being told you're "perverted" or "sinful" for what you're feeling inside... and for many of them, books are the only place where they can safely learn about & begin to accept who they are. Would you rather they troll the internet instead?

Last edited by gizmo980; 08-24-2011 at 02:34 AM..

Old 08-24-2011, 02:25 AM

Quote:
I personally am not for or against anything homosexual. I acknowledge there are homosexuals but that's about it. I'm not about to insist my kids know anything other than that and the rest is up to them. Reading about gay sex or hetero sex, no difference really if that something they want to read about. I guess you're ok with your kids reading about one and not the other? Mine really didn't seem that interested in reading about sex of any kind though, my son likes science fiction and my daughter likes fantasy.
I loved Danielle Steele books as a young teen, and my mother had no problem with that (even bought her new releases for me). Those stories were pretty racy, and described things I wasn't even thinking about doing yet... and they didn't make me run out and have sex, although "Zoya" did make me want to be a Russian princess. So if your child is mature enough to be interested in such content, I don't really see the harm in that. Geez, Americans can be sooooo uptight sometimes!

Old 08-24-2011, 02:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by maja View Post
Here's more on this story.

"Sprigg called on parents across the nation to pay close attention to what their children are being encouraged to read."
“To a large extent the educational community and the library community have come under the control of very radical liberal ideology with regard to sexuality and they view anything that might remotely be called censorship as the ultimate evil,” Sprigg said. “Exposing children to graphic sexual content – that is not as evil as censorship in the minds of some left-wing activists.”

Read more: New Jersey School District Yanks Lesbian Sex Book From Required Summer Reading List | FoxNews.com
Do you work for the FBI? All I can say in response is...

(I actually own that t-shirt, LOL)

Old 08-24-2011, 02:34 AM

3,282 posts, read 5,202,872 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chattypatty View Post
First of all, she probably does speak for most of the population. Remember that NYC and San Francisco combined are merely a small fraction of the American population.

Secondly, I would have no objection to books with a homosexual theme being available in the school library PROVIDING they have some genuine literary merit and are age appropriate. Books that discuss orgies or explicit sexual acts don't meet that criteria.
I was unaware that these were mutually exclusive.

A fun experiment? Take some classics from the Bible, rename them, and so how many conservative parents you can get to blow a gasket at the smut content of them. Fund it.

Old 08-24-2011, 02:38 AM

37,135 posts, read 42,222,200 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gizmo980 View Post
I loved Danielle Steele books as a young teen, and my mother had no problem with that (even bought her new releases for me). Those stories were pretty racy, and described things I wasn't even thinking about doing yet... and they didn't make me run out and have sex, although "Zoya" did make me want to be a Russian princess. So if your child is mature enough to be interested in such content, I don't really see the harm in that. Geez, Americans can be sooooo uptight sometimes!
I have always been a huge reader and I remember being about 12-13 when I saw a book at the store about a teenage girl who got pregnant. There was nothing graphic about the sexual encounter but it was still considered controversial for a kid at that time (1970). My mom wasn't sure so she handed it to my dad and asked if he thought it was ok. Dad said sure, he always said sure..lol.

I also secretly read Portnoy's Complaint (which WAS really graphic) a year or so later. I didn't like it, and didn't ever know about some stuff before that, but I was curious and it didn't harm me to read about anything. It's not the stuff a parent usually talks to their kids about when they have 'the talk' anyway...gotta learn somewhere!!

Old 08-24-2011, 02:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoarfrost View Post
I was unaware that these were mutually exclusive.

A fun experiment? Take some classics from the Bible, rename them, and so how many conservative parents you can get to blow a gasket at the smut content of them. Fund it.
LOL... I would gladly fund that experiment if I could!

Old 08-24-2011, 02:46 AM

Quote:
I have always been a huge reader and I remember being about 12-13 when I saw a book at the store about a teenage girl who got pregnant. There was nothing graphic about the sexual encounter but it was still considered controversial for a kid at that time (1970). My mom wasn't sure so she handed it to my dad and asked if he thought it was ok. Dad said sure, he alwasy said sure..lol.

I also secretly read Portnoy's Complaint (which WAS really graphic) a year or so later. I didn't like it, and didn't ever know about some stuff before that, but I was curious and it didn't harm me to read about anything. It's not the stuff a parent usually talks to their kids about when they have 'the talk' anyway...gotta learn somewhere!!
Yep! I recall Tropic of Cancer and Clan of the Cave Bear being super risque back in the day, and they described some pretty graphic stuff... but LOTS of teens still read them, and somehow managed to survive the experience. We also didn't have the internet to "educate" us, so we had to learn the old-fashioned way.

Btw, I was just reading the reviews on that book I mentioned, Geography Club... and this one review solidified what I was saying earlier, about giving gay teens literature they can relate to: "I am a 17 year gay guy from ohio and let me say, this is one of the best books I've read in a long time. I felt and feel like I AM the character of Russell in the book, I've gone through so many of the things he has. I even cried after reading the sequel after this one because it made me look at my own situation and how hard it is to be gay and love someone who might never talk to you again if they knew. I feel like this book deserves several awards, it certainly had a touch to me."
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies