Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-19-2011, 09:24 AM

13,621 posts, read 12,731,507 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by no1brownsfan View Post
We've heard all about the dangers of these opiates, and how easy it is to get hooked on them, as well as the possibility of overdose and death, yet pot still remains illegal!

now ,now,, mj might hurt big pharma's bottom line, if it were legalized.. we cant have that now can we!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-19-2011, 09:36 AM

8,323 posts, read 15,171,483 times
Sometimes I find humour in the idea that pot is illegal, yet every other month or so, my father has morphine mailed to him from the VA.

Old 10-19-2011, 09:47 AM

13,692 posts, read 9,009,247 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ApothecaryJohnCan'tSkip View Post
As a pharmacy intern in Southern Florida (I've been a pharmacy technician for three years and am on my way to finishing pharmacy school) I can tell you that the situation is BAD here. At my pharmacy in Palm Beach, we get at least fifteen Roxy prescriptions per day. Most, however, we don't fill. We have a policy that, in order to fill the oxy prescription, the office of the prescribing physician must be within ten miles of our pharmacy (most prescriptions are from Boca, West Palm and Deerfield Beach pill mills anyway).

To workingclasshero, thank you for your service to our country, but Valium isn't a painkiller :/

But as a reply to the veteran
As one can imagine, we get an assortment of responses once we've rejected a prescription: "Thank you anyway", junkies cursing us, junkies begging, people threatening to come back and get us, people storming out, and occasionally, the person who jumps the counter and has to be hauled-away by the police. It's ridiculous. I didn't devote my life to pharmacy to supply junkies.
They always put up a fight, but the fact remains the same:
IF YOU HAVE A LEGITIMATE MEDICAL CONDITION FOR WHICH OXYCODONE IS REQUIRED, YOU DO NOT NEED TO DRIVE THREE HOURS TO FIND A PRESCRIBING PHYSICIAN.
In Palm Beach County, if you drive two miles, you've just passed ten doctors' offices. Why do you junkies not understand when we won't fill your prescription from a doctor located two HOURS away? And the fact that your Roxi script is paired also with scripts for carisopradol and alprazalam? Do you not realize that we KNOW pharmacy, and that we KNOW your scripts are from a pill-mill.

As a last note, one of the SADDEST things I've seen in my entire career in pharmacy is a STAMP for Roxicodone. By this, I mean an actual rubber stamping that some of these pill mills stamp onto the prescription. The stamp reads, "Roxicodone ___mg, ___tablets".
EXCUSE ME for my ideals, but a potent, physically and psychologically-addicting opioid like oxycodone should NOT be prescribed so easily that a doctor's office would make a STAMP for it!
How bad is this? Take a pen and pad, and write "Roxicodone 30 mg, #160".
How long did that take you to write?
They made a stamp to write it FASTER than that.
But the fact is, in my experience, 99% of these scripts AREN'T fakers . . . they're junkies who went to a straight-up pill mill: "I don't care who you are, what your story is, pay my fee and I'll print you a prescription" (yes, most of theses prescriptions are printed)
A very interesting posting. Thanks.

I will add that, in my job (reviewing disability claims) I see a lot of claimant's who obviously 'doctor shop' for someone to give them prescriptions to such medications. Some get caught, many don't. It is also strange how many people who receive a prescription for 30 pills will show back up 10 days later saying that their medication was stolen, or the cat ate it, etc.

While some of these poor people are obviously addicted, many are simply selling the pills on the street. I am constantly amazed at how some person will go to a doctor, claim to have back pain, undergo various diagnostic tests that show nothing, yet still prescribe these narcotics.

Finally, I'm trying to twist my mind around the 'legalization' logic of some people. For instance, Mr. Ron Paul has apparently called for the legalization of various drugs (heroin, for instance). Would that also apply to these narcotics used for pain? Would anyone be able to walk into a store and buy all the Oxycodone they want?

Finally, finally: Valium is indeed often prescribed for people with pain (it helps with muscle spasms).

Old 10-19-2011, 10:08 AM

6,391 posts, read 5,167,680 times
There is always 2 sides to every coin.

There are people who are on pain management taking even stronger meds than you mention.

I take 60 mgs of MS-CONTIN, (slow release morphine), prescribed to me by the VA. Hospital, daily and sometimes have to take vicodin in addition.

Without it, I can barely walk, or get out of bed, because the damage to my knees and ankles are so great. Even WITH the meds, it's a strain to complete a simple grocery trip.

Am I addicted, I have no idea. What I CAN tell you, is that without it, the pain in my joints is far greater than any withdrawal symptoms could be.

Old 10-19-2011, 10:12 AM

20,462 posts, read 12,381,706 times
But for the grace of God, there go I...

I have had two back surgeries. I have had to take heavy doses of opiate pain meds. I know many people who's lives have been ruined by pain medication that they honestly needed but it eventually took over their lives.

I fully understand how one gets hooked, and how one ends up messed up. Thank God I was able to find a way to avoid the pitfall.

Those that are so sure that these are just messed up people and who have no empathy, thank your lucky stars you dont live a life that honestly needs pain managment.

Old 10-19-2011, 10:16 AM

42,732 posts, read 29,884,155 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darkatt View Post
There is always 2 sides to every coin.

There are people who are on pain management taking even stronger meds than you mention.

I take 60 mgs of MS-CONTIN, (slow release morphine), prescribed to me by the VA. Hospital, daily and sometimes have to take vicodin in addition.

Without it, I can barely walk, or get out of bed, because the damage to my knees and ankles are so great. Even WITH the meds, it's a strain to complete a simple grocery trip.

Am I addicted, I have no idea. What I CAN tell you, is that without it, the pain in my joints is far greater than any withdrawal symptoms could be.
I'm SO sorry that you are in so much pain. Is there anything they can do for your knees and ankles?

Old 10-19-2011, 10:21 AM

1,963 posts, read 1,822,896 times
We can't be worrying about legal, synthetic heroin. All our resources need to keep focusing on the ever-dangerous marijuana plant.

Old 10-19-2011, 10:23 AM

8,323 posts, read 15,171,483 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DC at the Ridge View Post
I'm SO sorry that you are in so much pain. Is there anything they can do for your knees and ankles?
Probably just chop them off which would leave him wheelchair bound.

Old 10-19-2011, 10:27 AM

15,896 posts, read 11,988,465 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by k.smith904 View Post
We can't be worrying about legal, synthetic heroin. All our resources need to keep focusing on the ever-dangerous marijuana plant.

Please tell me that you're not serious!

Old 10-19-2011, 11:10 AM

6,391 posts, read 5,167,680 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DC at the Ridge View Post
Well, the structure of the right ankle has been destroyed, it has had 2 surgeries, 1 to remove bone fragments and debris of a break, the second a year later to retension the anterior talor-fibular ligament, and repair some other damage. unsuccessfully. Since that time, i have torn the acl out of the right knee and developed DJD in the left knee and ankle, due to numerous twists/sprains, falls, etc etc, impact from limping all the time..

At one time the VA suggested fuzeing the ankles, but could not guarantee results.

SO, I deal with it. I am lucky that my oldest and her family lives with me, so that is quite a bit of help. Other than that. 1 day at a time...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies