Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-25-2011, 08:37 PM

20,702 posts, read 12,542,103 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nomander View Post
Reminds me of SNL when they started doing parodies of inside beliefs of liberals. I mean, a parody is supposed to be a exaggeration or extension beyond reason of that of reality. When I started to see slander which was then portrayed as truth and then continued on to an extent of parody, I simply saw it as nothing more than a bunch of circle jerk idiots going on about some stupid inside truth they believed and joked about which was far from any reality.

But hey, it made the liberals giggle and go on between themselves... Never mind that their ratings went into the tank during those times. It must of have been those stupid conservatives! /boggle
Sounds like Fox News.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-25-2011, 09:26 PM

13,053 posts, read 12,957,213 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Donna-501 View Post
Sounds like Fox News.
/shrug

Don't watch that either.

Old 08-25-2011, 11:34 PM

4,426 posts, read 5,920,902 times
I think it most certainly has to do with social evolution in regards to the self and the collective in formulating opinions. Conservatives seem to be very much about the self and self reliance, self motivation, self accountability, While liberals seem to be more about the collectives reliance, motivation and accountability with itself rather than withIN itself

Old 08-26-2011, 12:59 AM

14,848 posts, read 8,214,154 times
I just want to say a few things on the subject.

First, I tend to believe that this man, Satoshi Kanazawa, is probably doing fairly accurate and representative research. I have been under the impression for quite some time that Liberals tend to be more intelligent than Conservatives(sorry if that offends you), but also that Republicans are more intelligent than Democrats. Of course, Republican does not mean conservative and Democrat does not mean liberal.

Liberals are a much smaller group than most would believe. In fact, there are about twice as many self-labeled conservatives as there are liberals. On the other hand, in 2008, there were only 55 million registered Republicans to 72 million registered democrats. Because a very large percentage of the democratic voting base is actually made up of social conservatives(like minorities).

Secondly, Satoshi Kanazawa is not a liberal(which is what many seem to assume because of the results of this study). He is actually a staunch libertarian, who can't stand political correctness, and thinks it is a greater threat to American psychology than Religious fundamentalism.

Lastly, if you think liberals are smart, libertarians may be even more intelligent. There is a "high IQ" society called "Triple nine society"(only about 1 in 1000 people would be eligible to join). It released a political poll of its members back in 2000. It seems that its members were far more politically aligned with libertarians than to conservatives or liberals.

TNS Survey - Press Release

What are the politics of the super-intelligent? A nationwide poll just taken among members of the Triple Nine Society (TNS), shows the surprising result that their views on most issues are closer to libertarian than to either Democratic or Republican positions.

And my personal view is that, understanding libertarian ideals is much more difficult than understanding either liberalism or the Republican platform. To really understand libertarianism, you practically have to be a political science and history major. Though, I do believe that there are far too many kids, who mostly just want legalized drugs, jumping on the libertarian bandwagon without having any actual understanding of the platform. Which is a shame.

Old 08-26-2011, 01:34 AM

3,728 posts, read 4,871,984 times
I have always said that there are as many intelligent conservatives as there are intelligent liberals, but there are more really stupid conservatives than really stupid liberals.

I should also point out that the difference in IQ 96 versus 104 isn't particularly large. 96 is nowhere near retarded or even a bit "slow" and 104 is still well within the normal range. So any liberals claiming that proves just how super-duper smart they are, it's like me bragging about how I'm 5'10 and how I tower over some guy who is 5'8.5

Old 08-26-2011, 02:08 AM

24,511 posts, read 33,325,190 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank_Carbonni View Post
I have always said that there are as many intelligent conservatives as there are intelligent liberals, but there are more really stupid conservatives than really stupid liberals.
On what do you base your claim?

Old 08-26-2011, 02:24 AM

4,009 posts, read 5,735,077 times
Lightbulb ***~***

A conservative is a man with two perfectly good legs who, however ,has never learned to walk forward. Franklin D. Roosevelt, radio address, Oct. 26, 1939
32nd president of the United States [1882-1945]

Old 08-26-2011, 02:43 AM

3,728 posts, read 4,871,984 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fleet View Post
There is a significant portion of really anti-intellectual conservatives. I call them "caveman conservatives".

For example, I've heard some conservatives say that for freedom to prosper in Iraq, that American troops should use nuclear weapons. You rarely hear liberals say something that dumb. No doubt that there are stupid liberals, but there are a lot of really stupid conservatives.

That being said, there are more conservatives than liberals. And I have always said that there are as many smart conservatives as smart liberals, but there are more really f--king dumb conservatives.

Old 08-26-2011, 03:14 AM

13,711 posts, read 9,238,960 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fleet View Post

It's just common sense. Even some conservatives are aware of it.
Just look at the dim-wits who raise to the top in the Republican party - Dan Quayle, GW Bush, Sarah Palin, Michelle Bachman, Tim Allen etc, etc.

You can call the Democratic leaders many negative things but one thing you can't say about them is that they're stupid. Al Gore is a smart guy. John Kerry is a smart guy. Bill and Hillary are smart people. Obama is a smart guy.

It's not a coincident that these dumb-as-rock people are consistently raising to the top of the GOP. Common sense tells you it's because these dumb dumbs are actually the brightest ones in the party.

Old 08-26-2011, 09:44 AM

4,367 posts, read 3,485,611 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by beb0p View Post
It's just common sense. Even some conservatives are aware of it.
Just look at the dim-wits who raise to the top in the Republican party - Dan Quayle, GW Bush, Sarah Palin, Michelle Bachman, Tim Allen etc, etc.

You can call the Democratic leaders many negative things but one thing you can't say about them is that they're stupid. Al Gore is a smart guy. John Kerry is a smart guy. Bill and Hillary are smart people. Obama is a smart guy.

It's not a coincident that these dumb-as-rock people are consistently raising to the top of the GOP. Common sense tells you it's because these dumb dumbs are actually the brightest ones in the party.
How about that guy who thinks the U.S. has 57 states? He's really at the top!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies