Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-04-2011, 08:44 AM

33,016 posts, read 27,473,071 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mmmjv View Post
multi thousand dollar tax refunds??? Somehow I doubt that

Also, the refunds that they do get, probably a couple of hundred at best, is their money. They get it back because too much was taking out of their paychecks. That's why it's called a "refund"

This reference to fraudulent tax refunds probably involves false Earned Income Tax Credit claims. This is recognized as a problem among some sectors of the population.

People file tax returns claiming kids they don't have and collect a couple thousand dollar EITC in the form of a tax 'refund'. Because EITC is 'refundable' people can get back up to about $3,000 more than they actually paid in taxes, if they file a tax return claiming two or more kids.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-04-2011, 08:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BentBow View Post
I totally agree!

In a welfare nanny state, as this nation has turned into, those collecting government benefits, should not be able to vote.
Get off the benefits and vote your heart out.

Just curious: Should homeowners who do not own rental property be able to vote on a property tax levied specifically on rental property (i.e. a tax not levied on the homeowner's home). These homeowners are being subsidized by the taxes paid on rental property, which is a lot like collecting government benefits.

Old 09-04-2011, 08:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by InformedConsent View Post
Wall Street doesn't have enough votes to elect anyone. The 51% who pay NO federal income tax whatsoever? They're a majority.

I've never seen any numbers on this, but I doubt this 51% casts a majority of the votes. Probably not even close.

Old 09-04-2011, 09:10 AM

2,046 posts, read 1,575,262 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by whogo View Post
I believe e. e. cummings should not have been allowed to vote
if he was getting welfare he shouldnt have been allow to vote, but i dont think the welfare nanny state was in effect back then.

Old 09-04-2011, 09:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by btsilver View Post
lol. Jobs poor people create with no sort of funding or capital: Prostitution, Robbery, Begging, and revolution.

In the past three days, I have heard/seen/read a half dozen references like this ("When's the last time a poor person offered you a job?")

I'm (currently) a poor person and I'm working on a book for a specific hobby/collector/dealer market and I am budgeting $100 per month to pay someone to help with the research. Not really research, it's more like transcribing and organizing info.

Old 09-04-2011, 09:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gurbie View Post
ALEC actually uses mathmatical formulas. The GOP knows that, by passing legislation "voter fraud" restricting voting in certain demographics (students from out-of-state, and persons with no government ID) they will also be eliminating some Republicans. But the majority will be likely Dem voters.

Now I'm probably way out in left field on this one, but as a former student from out-of-state, I believe it is very important that students from out of state be able to vote where they live and pay rent most of the year, i.e. at school.

Not allowing students to vote where they live while at school only invites local policies which overregulate students, particularly in their housing, and thereby redistribute income from the students to the local nonstudents.

Having said that, it's unlikely that out-of-state students, even when allowed to vote at school, will ever again cast more than a handful of votes there. The last time they voted in large numbers at school was in the 1970s.

Old 09-04-2011, 10:14 AM

78,863 posts, read 46,654,236 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fiyero View Post
So anyone that loses their job and gets unemployment should have their voting card revoked?

Yes, if they are accepting unemployment welfare, then no vote.

Weening off the teet, is not easy.

Old 09-04-2011, 10:19 AM

78,863 posts, read 46,654,236 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WestCobb View Post
Fiy, don't worry, they can always get a job walking dogs to make up for the lost income. If their customers do a 1099 on them , they get to vote still. In this conservative fantasy land, there is 100 percent employment for all. Anyone can succeed in this land of plenty, so long as they are not a lazy bum.

If you were to ask me, I'd tell you that everyone from this day forward is self employed and you could be replaced tomorrow by another company offering more Professionalism, Responsibility Integrity, Dependability and Educated. So you better be good at what you do in all aspects of a relationship.

Old 09-04-2011, 01:14 PM

4,112 posts, read 4,476,605 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by InformedConsent View Post
Wow. Tell that to my neighbor's college-age kid who mows lawns, plants landscaping, shovels snow (over the holidays), walks dogs, and performs handyman chores to support himself and put himself through school.

Some people are industrious, and have initiative, drive, and personal responsibility. Others simply shove their hands out for more freebies.
Good for him, I see he's offering services. Yeah, I guess all the poor folk who are leeching off the system can get up and start being "Industrious" and create their own jobs. Hell, it must be that easy, right? There are so many jobs out there waiting to be created by poor people so they can get off the government dole. What a bunch of lazy b*stards!

Old 09-04-2011, 01:16 PM

4,112 posts, read 4,476,605 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by freemkt View Post
In the past three days, I have heard/seen/read a half dozen references like this ("When's the last time a poor person offered you a job?")

I'm (currently) a poor person and I'm working on a book for a specific hobby/collector/dealer market and I am budgeting $100 per month to pay someone to help with the research. Not really research, it's more like transcribing and organizing info.
Good for you, my comment was more tounge-in-cheek than anything else.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies