Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-02-2011, 02:55 PM

12,997 posts, read 13,649,010 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by dc at the ridge View Post
i'm sure that dog-walking pays handsomely.

How much does your neighbor's college-age kid pay in taxes? Would he qualify to vote per this columnist's criteria?
lmfao
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-02-2011, 02:55 PM

89,037 posts, read 44,853,831 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DC at the Ridge View Post
I'm sure that dog-walking pays handsomely.

How much does your neighbor's college-age kid pay in taxes? Would he qualify to vote per this columnist's criteria?
He pays what he owes. Many clients 1099 him. He has a positive tax liability. He's a contributor, not a parasite. He can vote.

Old 09-02-2011, 02:56 PM

4,088 posts, read 4,389,331 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by analyze_this View Post
Yeah they will make an exclusion for poor whites cause they vote GOP.
ALEC actually uses mathmatical formulas. The GOP knows that, by passing legislation "voter fraud" restricting voting in certain demographics (students from out-of-state, and persons with no government ID) they will also be eliminating some Republicans. But the majority will be likely Dem voters.

Even if the lost Dem votes even amount to half a percentage point- hey, that's half a percentage point! In a close election, every vote counts (ie, Fla in 2000).

Some Red States are hedging their bets a little where possible, and making provisions to allow likely GOP voters, who might otherwise be inelegible, to slip in under the curtain. For example, the Texas "Voter ID" law contains an exemption for gun owners. If you lack any other form of valid ID in Texas, hell son, all ya gotta do is slap down yer gun permit! Hyuck hyuck!

Old 09-02-2011, 02:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amaznjohn View Post
Maybe you need to delve a bit deeper into these individuals motivations for not working. I just moved from a relatively economically depressed area. Many people are out of work, but also, many feel comfortable living off the public dole. Maybe we run in different circles.
I am not poor, but I am of the poor, amazn. I know plenty of poor folks all too intimately. If you think there are not Americans who desperately want to work and are willing to take any job that is feasible, you're crazy.

Old 09-02-2011, 02:59 PM

42,732 posts, read 29,889,770 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by InformedConsent View Post
Your post makes excuses for the able-bodied who don't try hard enough to be self-supporting and self-sufficient. If you're not a quitter, as you claim, why champion the quitters' cause? Quitter at heart?
Ah, the old, don't try hard enough argument.

I heard that one from my mother when I was growing up. She was just like you, blame the victim. Girl got raped---she should have made better choices. People got into a car accident---probably all their fault. I asked her once, if someone crossing the street got hit by a falling meteor, would it be their fault, and the answer was---ABSOLUTELY, they should have been paying more attention. So if our planet gets hit by a meteor, it's our planet's fault, for getting in the way.

I know people who've been out of work for months. And they've done everything possible to get a job, including trying to start their own companies. And the fact is, that it's a tough economy, and there's a lot of competition for every available job, and when you're in your fifties, competing with 20-somethings for the same job, you just might not find a job. And dog-walking probably isn't going to pay the bills.

Old 09-02-2011, 02:59 PM

Quote:
He pays what he owes. Many clients 1099 him. He has a positive tax liability. He's a contributor, not a parasite. He can vote.
Informed, seriously, how old are you? You may think this isn't relevant, but it is relevant to me... I'm far more forgiving to young people who make up "facts" to support their ideologies than I am to old ones. Most old people acquire enough experience to radically revise whatever ideals they had when they were young.

Old 09-02-2011, 03:01 PM

26,979 posts, read 15,896,568 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WestCobb View Post
I am not poor, but I am of the poor, amazn. I know plenty of poor folks all too intimately. If you think there are not Americans who desperately want to work and are willing to take any job that is feasible, you're crazy.

Then maybe the Democrats should favor restrictive immigration policies as they did before they found out recent immigrants may produce higher unemployment and lower wages but they tend to vote Democratic.

Old 09-02-2011, 03:03 PM

42,732 posts, read 29,889,770 times
Quote:
And I know many, many poor people who pay what they owe. They make money. They have taxes taken out of their paychecks. They pay the sales tax on the food they buy. The guy who works for the tree service, and his wife who works for the chicken processing plant with three kids, good kids who go to school. Oh, they only make about $24,000 a year, and their federal tax liability is negative--so they don't get to vote?

I'm glad you've been so fortunate in your life that you've never lived in poverty, but the impoverished are not parasites.

Old 09-02-2011, 03:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by whogo View Post
Then maybe the Democrats should favor restrictive immigration policies as they did before they found out recent immigrants may produce higher unemployment and lower wages but they tend to vote Democratic.
Whogo, dig a little deeper into this one. You'll find pretty much all "electable" Democratic-Republicans are pro immigration. That's because the folks that can afford to buy politicians are pro-cheap labor.

You're not going to find any arguments from me against extremely restrictive immigration policies. Let's join forces on this one and not play the silly "R" and "D" game.

Old 09-02-2011, 03:09 PM

89,037 posts, read 44,853,831 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DC at the Ridge View Post
Ah, the old, don't try hard enough argument.

I heard that one from my mother when I was growing up. She was just like you, blame the victim. Girl got raped
Cheap attempt at setting up a really lame strawman. In really poor taste, too.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies