Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-02-2011, 01:48 PM

12,436 posts, read 11,953,764 times

Advertisements

Well if the poor could not vote, we would not have as many Tea Party backed candidates.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-02-2011, 01:51 PM

12,997 posts, read 13,650,642 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Book Lover 21 View Post
I don't think anyone feels that the right to vote should actually be revoked, but more just griping about the way their vote impacts society.
I hate anectodal evidence, book, because it doesn't amount to anything -- but for realsies, the only people I have ever known on welfare vote Republican. I grew up in a very poor area, but I'm white, so the people I have known on welfare were white poor people. They voted for Jesus or against the gays or whatever. It baffled me, but that was the case. I can't tell you how many times I've heard the argument that the GOP is looking out for poor white people and protecting them from the "liberal elite" from white welfare folks.

Old 09-02-2011, 01:54 PM

To me, the fact that we expect poor people to obey American laws is the end-all argument for why they deserve to vote. As Americans, we don't ask people to be subject to laws without having the opportunity to shape those laws. That's as fundamentally American as you can get. However, one poster said that children have to obey their parents without getting a say, so poor people have to obey their masters without getting a say too.

I still can't believe that poster actually said that.

Old 09-02-2011, 01:54 PM

12,436 posts, read 11,953,764 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WestCobb View Post
I hate anectodal evidence, book, because it doesn't amount to anything -- but for realsies, the only people I have ever known on welfare vote Republican. I grew up in a very poor area, but I'm white, so the people I have known on welfare were white poor people. They voted for Jesus or against the gays or whatever. It baffled me, but that was the case. I can't tell you how many times I've heard the argument that the GOP is looking out for poor white people and protecting them from the "liberal elite" from white welfare folks.
I agree. I have had the same experience. I just attribute this to great propaganda tools like talk radio and fox news.

Old 09-02-2011, 01:55 PM

4,112 posts, read 4,476,605 times
Quote:
Another fantasyland comment. If a person has no money and nothing to seel all he or she can do is offer his or services to someone else. If no one is hiring, there is a problem.
lol. Jobs poor people create with no sort of funding or capital: Prostitution, Robbery, Begging, and revolution.

Old 09-02-2011, 01:58 PM

2,093 posts, read 4,699,831 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gurbie View Post
Matthew Vadum, a leading crusader against "Acorn" and alleged "urban voter fraud", apparently feels bold enough these days to spell out the REAL agenda: poor people in America have no business voting in the first place. They just make "bad choices", that wind up costing the "producers" of society money, by voting for Democrats, and useless things like social justice and equal rights.

Finally, the "voter ID/ voter fraud" legislation sweeping the Red States (courtesy of ALEC, the arch-conservative American Legislative Executive Counsel) gets exposed for what it really is: a Randian Corporate Elite campaign to repeal universal suffrage (one at-risk voter block at a time) in favor of an aristocracy in America.

All part and parcel of the Corporate Overlords and their GOP handmaidens' plan to return the US to the "gilded age" of..., well I used to say 19th Century, but this crapola means we're headed back to the 18th Century now.

Articles: Registering the Poor to Vote is Un-American
Denying a human being, especially a US Citizen, the right to vote is un-American. This columnist calls himself a conservative?

He's no conservative.

Old 09-02-2011, 01:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hotair2 View Post
I agree. I have had the same experience. I just attribute this to great propaganda tools like talk radio and fox news.
Poor whites will take whatever government assitance they can get while cursing the evil government and damn Democrats for giving blacks everything when poor white people like them have it so hard. I'm painting with a broad brush here, but this has been my experience -- and my experience with poor white people is pretty extensive. I'm not talking about southerners here either. I grew up in a poor area of California.

Old 09-02-2011, 02:12 PM

89,060 posts, read 44,866,510 times
Quote:
Another fantasyland comment. If a person has no money and nothing to seel all he or she can do is offer his or services to someone else. If no one is hiring, there is a problem.
Sounds like you give up way too easily. Create your own job. Millions of people do it every year.

Old 09-02-2011, 02:19 PM

89,060 posts, read 44,866,510 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by btsilver View Post
lol. Jobs poor people create with no sort of funding or capital: Prostitution, Robbery, Begging, and revolution.
Wow. Tell that to my neighbor's college-age kid who mows lawns, plants landscaping, shovels snow (over the holidays), walks dogs, and performs handyman chores to support himself and put himself through school.

Some people are industrious, and have initiative, drive, and personal responsibility. Others simply shove their hands out for more freebies.

Old 09-02-2011, 02:24 PM

10,190 posts, read 7,958,896 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by InformedConsent View Post
I completely agree. A LOT of people are totally fed up with an increasingly larger percentage of the population that elects whoever promises them the most freebies. It's an UGLY perversion of democracy.

Completely unsustainable, as well.
Exactly! You are right and Obama is a good example.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies