Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-02-2011, 03:22 PM

89,060 posts, read 44,866,510 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by WestCobb View Post
Informed, seriously, how old are you? You may think this isn't relevant, but it is relevant to me... I'm far more forgiving to young people who make up "facts" to support their ideologies than I am to old ones.
Here's some facts for you: According to the Pew Hispanic Center, illegals make up 24 percent of workers in agriculture, 17 percent in cleaning, 14 percent in construction, and 12 percent in food production.
http://pewhispanic.org/files/reports/61.pdf

They're taking Americans' jobs.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-02-2011, 03:23 PM

78,863 posts, read 46,654,236 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gurbie View Post
Matthew Vadum, a leading crusader against "Acorn" and alleged "urban voter fraud", apparently feels bold enough these days to spell out the REAL agenda: poor people in America have no business voting in the first place. They just make "bad choices", that wind up costing the "producers" of society money, by voting for Democrats, and useless things like social justice and equal rights.

Finally, the "voter ID/ voter fraud" legislation sweeping the Red States (courtesy of ALEC, the arch-conservative American Legislative Executive Counsel) gets exposed for what it really is: a Randian Corporate Elite campaign to repeal universal suffrage (one at-risk voter block at a time) in favor of an aristocracy in America.

All part and parcel of the Corporate Overlords and their GOP handmaidens' plan to return the US to the "gilded age" of..., well I used to say 19th Century, but this crapola means we're headed back to the 18th Century now.

Articles: Registering the Poor to Vote is Un-American

I totally agree!

In a welfare nanny state, as this nation has turned into, those collecting government benefits, should not be able to vote.
Get off the benefits and vote your heart out.

Old 09-02-2011, 03:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DC at the Ridge View Post
I disagree.

You are insisting that every person is responsible, fully responsible for their lives and what happens to them.
Every person? No. I said able-bodied. Not all are.

10,834 posts, read 14,941,887 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LetsRock View Post
I partly agree. NO REPRESENATION WITHOUT TAXATION. You should not be entitled to vote for services you don't pay for.

There is no constitutional right to vote.
I agree.

Also roll the voting age back to 21.

What idiot thought it a good idea to allow a high school student who:

1. Never had a job

2. Never paid taxes

3. Never paid a bill

4. Never had to pay for a place to live

etc, etc

a right to vote?

12,997 posts, read 13,650,642 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lionking View Post
I know I am going to get called a Democratic leftist supporting welfare babies on this thread by questioning the topic but I don't even nor will I ever (probably) vote for the democrats.

This in my mind is not just about taxes but the soul of a nation based on liberty and everyone has a stake in it.
I completely agree, lionking. This is so far beyond a left/right, Democrat/Republican thing. This is a basic, American liberty thing. Those who advocate disenfranchising the poor are forgetting if they can do it to the poor, they can do it to them as well.

Old 09-02-2011, 03:25 PM

Quote:
You are talking about wallstreet right?
Wall Street doesn't have enough votes to elect anyone. The 51% who pay NO federal income tax whatsoever? They're a majority.

Old 09-02-2011, 03:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nicet4 View Post
I agree.

Also roll the voting age back to 21.

What idiot thought it a good idea to allow a high school student who:

1. Never had a job

2. Never paid taxes

3. Never paid a bill

4. Never had to pay for a place to live

etc, etc

a right to vote?
Pretty much every idiot did. The 26th Amendment, the one that granted 18 year olds the right to vote, passed with the most unanimous support of any other amendment* Why? Oh yeah, because it was passed in a year when 18-year-olds were dying for their country in Vietnam.

*On March 10, 1971, the Senate voted 94–0 in favor of proposing a Constitutional amendment to guarantee that the voting age could not be higher than 18.[7] On March 23, 1971, the House of Representatives voted 401–19 in favor of the proposed amendment.[8] Within four months after the Congress submitted it to the states, the amendment was ratified by three-fourths of the state legislatures, the shortest time in which any proposed amendment has received the number of ratifications needed for adoption.

Old 09-02-2011, 03:27 PM

13,608 posts, read 21,401,046 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WestCobb View Post
. Forcing people to obey laws enacted by people they didn't get a chance to vote for is un-American.

You know, I have to take a jab at your democratic party leaning on this, because democratic party people have been usually the ones to suggest this happen when talking about UN laws at times. It is one of the reasons conservatives frown down upon the UN and the democrats regarding the UN at times.

Old 09-02-2011, 03:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DC at the Ridge View Post
So? Do they pay Social Security taxes? Why, yes, they do.
Many get back more than they pay via refundable tax credits.

Quote:
Do they pay sales taxes? Why yes, they do.
There's a national sales tax? Since when?

You've already gone way off track. Not to mention you're ill-informed. No need to delve any further into your nonsensical post.

Old 09-02-2011, 03:29 PM

Quote:
You know, I have to take a jab at your democratic party leaning on this, because democratic party people have been usually the ones to suggest this happen when talking about UN laws at times. It is one of the reasons conservatives frown down upon the UN and the democrats regarding the UN at times.
You make a very good point, lionking. I don't agree with the Democratic Party on everything, or even the majority of things it seems these days. They just represent my interests better than the other jerks.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies