Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-02-2011, 01:32 PM

3,393 posts, read 4,013,049 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by dunks_galore View Post
What do I call it when people can vote for what they want? Democracy. Your "freebies" means nothing to me unless you want to point to specific things that people have voted in favor of that you take issue with, and why that justifies the removal of poor people's voting rights.

On that note, do you realize the repercussions of removing millions of people's right to vote? How do you think society would change if the poor couldn't vote? Do you think it would be a society where poor people have a better chance of succeeding? Keep in mind that this is a nation where the number of poor people is growing while wealth becomes more concentrated at the top.

I think you and I both know that it would just lead to the elimination of welfare, social security, medicare, medicaid, the defunding of public education, and the privatization of everything that isn't bolted down. Great for everyone that has money, terrible for everyone that's poor.

And then what do you know, since poor people can't vote, they can't vote for things that help them stop being poor. Suddenly, more people are poor, and then they can't vote, and so on, and so on. Where does it stop?

This is an argument only a true enemy of democracy would forward, this is the definition of oligarchy. I bet if more poor people voted the way you wanted, this wouldn't be an issue.
Ummm, would they vote for things to stop being poor or would they vote for free services? There is a HUGE difference and it's destroying this country.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-02-2011, 01:32 PM

89,061 posts, read 44,866,510 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WestCobb View Post
You act as if there is a job for everyone who wants one -- fantasy land. If 100 percent employment was guaranteed then your arguments might be valid. But then if we had 100 percent guaranteed employment, we'd have communism, wouldn't we?
A job you get from someone else? No. A job you create for yourself? Infinite possibilities. Just sayin'

Old 09-02-2011, 01:33 PM

2,125 posts, read 1,940,747 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by InformedConsent View Post
By golly, you've hit on the incentive for every able-bodied person to pull themselves up by their bootstraps and actually support themselves and their families in a responsible self-sufficient manner. GASP!
Except you want to make it harder for people to bootstraps, and you want to remove their right to vote in order to do so. That's disenfranchisement, and will only lead to more poor people and deeper poverty. Your libertarian schtick is growing dull.

Old 09-02-2011, 01:34 PM

89,061 posts, read 44,866,510 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dunks_galore View Post
Except you want to make it harder for people to bootstraps
How so?

Old 09-02-2011, 01:36 PM

5,421 posts, read 6,506,441 times
Why can't poor people get the free government ID to vote?

Old 09-02-2011, 01:37 PM

14,292 posts, read 9,683,781 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gurbie View Post
Matthew Vadum, a leading crusader against "Acorn" and alleged "urban voter fraud", apparently feels bold enough these days to spell out the REAL agenda: poor people in America have no business voting in the first place. They just make "bad choices", that wind up costing the "producers" of society money, by voting for Democrats, and useless things like social justice and equal rights.

Finally, the "voter ID/ voter fraud" legislation sweeping the Red States (courtesy of ALEC, the arch-conservative American Legislative Executive Counsel) gets exposed for what it really is: a Randian Corporate Elite campaign to repeal universal suffrage (one at-risk voter block at a time) in favor of an aristocracy in America.

All part and parcel of the Corporate Overlords and their GOP handmaidens' plan to return the US to the "gilded age" of..., well I used to say 19th Century, but this crapola means we're headed back to the 18th Century now.

Articles: Registering the Poor to Vote is Un-American
Who is this person? I've never heard of him before. It seems a bit disingenuous to use some off the wall comments from some unknown person and declare this some how is proof of the thoughts for half the nation. Don't you think?

Old 09-02-2011, 01:40 PM

12,997 posts, read 13,650,642 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OICU812 View Post
Who is this person? I've never heard of him before. It seems a bit disingenuous to use some off the wall comments from some unknown person and declare this some how is proof of the thoughts for half the nation. Don't you think?
I sincerely hope this guy is some fringe nutback and not representative of conservatives in general. Read the thread though. There are cons defending this line of thought.

Old 09-02-2011, 01:45 PM

4,112 posts, read 4,476,605 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ryanek9freak View Post
I say they're unfortunate casualties. IF you weren't smart enough to chose a profession that is recession proof, well, then either you're a complete idiot, or have no ability to adapt.
Congratulations, you just called 95% of Americans idiots. How elite of you.

Quote:
I don't get why people say it's hard to find jobs, because it's not, at least not in my field. The problem is that people aren't willing to give up anything or sacrifice to take a job that will pay their bills. If I got offered a good job 10,000 miles on the other side of the planet, I'd take it. You gotta go where the grass is greener.
Yes, because last time i checked there was a surplus of jobs across all fields of employment. Everyone can't be an engineer, computer programmer, doctor, or lawyer. Also everyone can't work at Walmart or McDonald's. Everyone can't do manufacturing or Oil drilling or whatever. Also picking up and leaving to do a "good" job on the other side of the planet is easier said than done.

Quote:
Not all poor people are parasites, but a lot of them are. You know of whom I speak.
No not all poor people are parasites, only a few of them actually are probably like 10% of poor people are. The rest are just in the struggle. Once again, how elite of you to assume such asinine things.

Old 09-02-2011, 01:46 PM

3,393 posts, read 4,013,049 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WestCobb View Post
I sincerely hope this guy is some fringe nutback and not representative of conservatives in general. Read the thread though. There are cons defending this line of thought.
I don't think anyone feels that the right to vote should actually be revoked, but more just griping about the way their vote impacts society.

Old 09-02-2011, 01:48 PM

12,997 posts, read 13,650,642 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by InformedConsent View Post
A job you get from someone else? No. A job you create for yourself? Infinite possibilities. Just sayin'
Another fantasyland comment. If a person has no money and nothing to seel all he or she can do is offer his or services to someone else. If no one is hiring, there is a problem.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies