Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-06-2011, 10:28 PM

5,999 posts, read 7,124,871 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by sarahnyc View Post
Why is preserving your race and culture 'racism'?

We need to get past this brainwashed nonsense about every White person who wants to preserve their own people as 'racist.' Blending us all into multicultural wasteland is not some sort of higher ideal to strive for.

When White people are gone, who is going to invent everything? The Africans? Lol.
While I disagree with your views, I find it fascinating that you live in NYC. Outta curiosity, are there actual White Pride groups in Manhattan?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-06-2011, 11:01 PM

7,540 posts, read 11,404,330 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by testmo View Post
So what is the argument for the American system being superior?
No. To me it's about how an overly generous welfare system can be targeted for the types of scams like was reported in the original link. I have no problems with welfare that is prioritized and well monitored. I think Norway should prioritize their welfare according to people's actual needs.

Old 09-06-2011, 11:19 PM

995 posts, read 1,119,088 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Motion View Post
No. To me it's about how an overly generous welfare system can be targeted for the types of scams like was reported in the original link. I have no problems with welfare that is prioritized and well monitored. I think Norway should prioritize their welfare according to people's actual needs.
I think Norway handles things just fine according to their laws, their customs, and their regulations, and it's none of our business.

Old 09-07-2011, 12:07 AM

7,540 posts, read 11,404,330 times
^

Well as far as what I said about a well monitored welfare system. Norway may need to step up on that.

Quote:
One commentator equated it to a recent story in A-magasinet that quoted a convicted Romanian welfare cheat as saying that Norway was “the dumbest country in the world.” She had managed to obtain millions in state welfare payments over many years by claiming she was the grandmother to several children who didn’t exist.

Debate flies over aid for beggars : Views and News from Norway

Old 09-07-2011, 12:24 AM

1,733 posts, read 1,826,134 times
If you look for a system that has no scammers...well, it'll be a mission without end.

Every system has people scamming it. And in every country, the newspapers know its big news when one of the most spectacular ones are caught. You'd need to ask "Does Norways system produce a greater percentage of scammers than other systems?"

Also, you can't look directly at just how much money child support services provide in Norway. The average income is nearly 80 000 $, and abject poverty is counted at about $ 24 000. It is hard to compare without looking at cost of living and the incomes of neighbors.

Old 09-07-2011, 12:32 AM

25,021 posts, read 28,001,240 times
There is a simple way to solve any welfare crisis that Europe and the U.S. inflict on themselves and ourselves. Make it so any new mothers that are poor only be eligible to have benefits for one child. Any other child after a cutoff date will not be eligible for Medicaid, food stamps, increased Section 8, etc and their Norwegian equivalents

Old 09-07-2011, 12:38 AM

1,733 posts, read 1,826,134 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by theunbrainwashed View Post
There is a simple way to solve any welfare crisis that Europe and the U.S. inflict on themselves and ourselves. Make it so any new mothers that are poor only be eligible to have benefits for one child. Any other child after a cutoff date will not be eligible for Medicaid, food stamps, increased Section 8, etc and their Norwegian equivalents
I don't think singling out people who have never done anything wrong and denying them their fundamental rights based on who their mother were is actually going to fly in Norway.

Last edited by Grim Reader; 09-07-2011 at 12:50 AM..

Old 09-07-2011, 10:02 AM

995 posts, read 1,119,088 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grim Reader View Post
I don't think singling out people who have never done anything wrong and denying them their fundamental rights based on who their mother were is actually going to fly in Norway.
Just in the US.

Old 09-07-2011, 10:08 AM

11,446 posts, read 16,216,786 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Motion View Post
Aren't they just inviting too many people to scam(waste) their system by it being so generous?
Yes, Norway should adopt the American system (and mentality) regarding poverty so they, too, can measure poverty by the square mile in cities.

Old 09-07-2011, 10:12 AM

20,700 posts, read 12,577,918 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnneWest View Post
Norway is ranked among the highest in every standard of living, education, healthcare, crime rate, income equality, and pollution in the world.
I'd say their welfare system is working pretty well.
I agree. If you are a citizen and have a child here they pay for their healthcare until they are 18 or 19 here.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies